Advice needed for MACRO newbie

Androc

Mar 7, 2011
Mysia/ SG central
Dear all,

I'm from Mysia and currently working in SG. I've great interest in getting into MACRO photography but i'm a real beginner in this hobby so pse pardon me for my stupid questions..

Currently I'm planning to buy an entry level camera and most likely getting a macro lens soon after that. I'm looking at Nikon D3100 and the following are some of my details/requirements:

Budget for camera body: 1ksgd
Budget for Macro Lens: less then 800sgd hopefully

Actually the main reason for me to get a DSLR and MACRO lens is to be able to take close up shots on my Indoor inverts specimens ranging (with sizes from 1cm to 10cm) and i would appreciate any suggestions for basic gears (which camera and what lens) that can achieve that as i'm not sure if there are more varieties suitable for me.

My questions are:

1) Nikon D3100 being an entry model camera, would it has any restrictions on the range of MACRO lens that i'm able to use? (e.g. if i intend to get on a more advance lens after 1 yr then my camera body cannot support it anymore..)

2) Is there any other recommended beginner camera models suitable for MACRO?

3) What MACRO lens should i get? As mentioned, my subjects are mostly indoors stationary inverts so am i right to say 50-100mm MACRO lens is sufficient?

4) Anything else i should take note or read about? Would appreciate it alot!

It's amazing going through the MACRO works you guys posted in this forum and all i can say is "WOW!"

Pse feel free to give any suggestions to me, greatly appreciated! Hope to be able to join you guys soon..

Regards,
Wen

Last edited:
Dear all,

I'm from Mysia and currently working in SG. I've great interest in getting into MACRO photography but i'm a real beginner in this hobby so pse pardon me for my stupid questions..

Currently I'm planning to buy an entry level camera and most likely getting a macro lens soon after that. I'm looking at Nikon D3100 and the following are some of my details/requirements:

Budget for camera body: 1ksgd
Budget for Macro Lens: less then 800sgd hopefully

Actually the main reason for me to get a DSLR and MACRO lens is to be able to take close up shots on my Indoor inverts specimens ranging (with sizes from 1cm to 10cm) and i would appreciate any suggestions for basic gears (which camera and what lens) that can achieve that as i'm not sure if there are more varieties suitable for me.

My questions are:

1) Nikon D3100 being an entry model camera, would it has any restrictions on the range of MACRO lens that i'm able to use? (e.g. if i intend to get on a more advance lens after 1 yr then my camera body cannot support it anymore..)

2) Is there any other recommended beginner camera models suitable for MACRO?

3) What MACRO lens should i get? As mentioned, my subjects are mostly indoors stationary inverts so am i right to say 50-100mm MACRO lens is sufficient?

4) Anything else i should take note or read about? Would appreciate it alot!

It's amazing going through the MACRO works you guys posted in this forum and all i can say is "WOW!"

Pse feel free to give any suggestions to me, greatly appreciated! Hope to be able to join you guys soon..

Regards,
Wen

Sorry i maybe not be a pro to say but what i find out that if your going to shoot indoor still item your can buy
3pcs 12 mm, 20 mm , 36 mm kenko macro tube ($180-$200) (nikon or cannon mount depend on your brand) for close up and you dun need to buy expensive lens just to shoot still item! use the money buy wide angle lens or other lens your want!

Hope it help you abit. but you had to go try yourself adding tube will be abit more heavy!

Take alook -> http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

Hmm if you are not going into macro seriously but just to take some close up shots, maybe a macro filter would be more suited to your needs. You can check out raynox.

No worries about camera bodies though, whether you can take macro or not is not limited by the body

Sorry i maybe not be a pro to say but what i find out that if your going to shoot indoor still item your can buy
3pcs 12 mm, 20 mm , 36 mm kenko macro tube ($180-$200) (nikon or cannon mount depend on your brand) for close up and you dun need to buy expensive lens just to shoot still item! use the money buy wide angle lens or other lens your want!
Hope it help you abit. but you had to go try yourself adding tube will be abit more heavy!
Take alook -> http://www.thkphoto.com/products/kenko/slrc-04.html

Thats a good idea but would be be a hassle to switch between the kenko macro tubes (to achieve the focus you desired) as compared to macro lens such as tamron 90mm macro which can directly adjust the focus? (sry if i'm not making sense)

Hmm if you are not going into macro seriously but just to take some close up shots, maybe a macro filter would be more suited to your needs. You can check out raynox.
No worries about camera bodies though, whether you can take macro or not is not limited by the body

Thanks for the idea bro, i'm reading up on raynox now.. :)

This link is great with info suited for noobs like me. Thanks bro Diavonex.

Last edited:
Pse correct me if i'm wrong guys:

1) E.g. so a 60-100mm macro lens will only be ideal for shots with the range between the camera and subject is less then 100mm ? or the range must be between 60-100mm ?

2) No matter what macro lens i'll using, as long as it is a macro lens, i'll have no issue to getting focus shots on a stationary insect specimen on my desk? and the reason why we get good expensive macro lens is to be able to go outdoors and capture stunning macro shots like you guys?

3) Any recommended camera body for a newbie like me? (as you know, being new in this hobby, my knowledge on the available entry level cameras is really limited)

Pse correct me if i'm wrong guys:

1) E.g. so a 60-100mm macro lens will only be ideal for shots with the range between the camera and subject is less then 100mm ? or the range must be between 60-100mm ?

2) No matter what macro lens i'll using, as long as it is a macro lens, i'll have no issue to getting focus shots on a stationary insect specimen on my desk? and the reason why we get good expensive macro lens is to be able to go outdoors and capture stunning macro shots like you guys?

3) Any recommended camera body for a newbie like me? (as you know, being new in this hobby, my knowledge on the available entry level cameras is really limited)

1) Nope, 60mm or 100mm is the focal length of the lens, it does not limit you as to which distance the subject must be.

2) The thing about macro lenses is the short minimum focusing distance, meaning we can still focus even if the subject is very near. Regular lenses cannot do this, therefore the need for a macro lens. Do take note though, only true macro lenses can give you 1:1 magnification. Some lenses from Tamron and Sigma have the word macro behind the lens model but they are not true macro lenses.

3) Do you currently have a camera body now? If not, perhaps a budget will help us give suggestions to you

1) Nope, 60mm or 100mm is the focal length of the lens, it does not limit you as to which distance the subject must be.

2) The thing about macro lenses is the short minimum focusing distance, meaning we can still focus even if the subject is very near. Regular lenses cannot do this, therefore the need for a macro lens. Do take note though, only true macro lenses can give you 1:1 magnification. Some lenses from Tamron and Sigma have the word macro behind the lens model but they are not true macro lenses.

3) Do you currently have a camera body now? If not, perhaps a budget will help us give suggestions to you

1) hmnn.. does it means e.g. for tamron 90mm i can get good focus even if my subject is like 200mm away from my camera?

2) Thanks for explaning this part on 1:1 magnification, i'm quite confused actually. Since Macro, by definition, is photography at 1x magnification and above (got it from http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/tomhicksmacros.html) isn't the "1:1 magnification" the basic we can expect from a macro lens?
If some lens are not true macro lenses, what difference does it make as compared to true macro lens? As when we take macro shots, my purpose is to get a magnified picture of my subject, most probably more then a 1:1 magnification.. so whether it can get exactly 1:1 is not important?

3) Yes bro, probably less then sgd$1k for body and less then sgd$800 for lens.

Thanks for your patience to guide me.. :)

Last edited:
The Tamron 90mm macro lens can focus from 29mm to infinity :)

1) hmnn.. does it means e.g. for tamron 90mm i can get good focus even if my subject is like 200mm away from my camera?

2) Thanks for explaning this part on 1:1 magnification, i'm quite confused actually. Since Macro, by definition, is photography at 1x magnification and above (got it from http://www.shutterfreaks.com/Tips/tomhicksmacros.html) isn't the "1:1 magnification" the basic we can expect from a macro lens?
If some lens are not true macro lenses, what difference does it make as compared to true macro lens? As when we take macro shots, my purpose is to get a magnified picture of my subject, most probably more then a 1:1 magnification.. so whether it can get exactly 1:1 is not important?

3) Yes bro, probably less then sgd$1k for body and less then sgd$800 for lens.

Thanks for your patience to guide me.. :)

1) Yes of course you can, the lens can focus to infinity.

2) Depends on how much magnification you want, the lenses which are not true macro lenses usually only offer up to 1:2 magnification. If you want a bigger magnification than 1:1 in your picture it can easily be cropped on your computer. Just crop the picture till your subject is magnified to the size you want. Of course cropping a 1:1 image gives better resolution than details compared to cropping a 1:2 image. If you want even more magnification, you can still attach a close-up filter like Raynox or add extension tube to your macro lens, which can give you 2:1 or higher magnifications.

3) The body you will have to go touch for yourself, try out the controls and ergonomic to see what fits you. Some examples are Nikon D3100, Canon 1100D, Pentax K-r and Sony A33. No problem on the lens, most third party macro lenses including the Tamron 90mm cost less than $800.

2nd hand D90 @ $800+. You won't have problems getting autofocus on lenses without built-in motor.

For lens, Tamron 90mm is a good starter. $450 for 2nd hand, $600-ish for new one maybe? (not sure)

Get Raynox DCR250 for extra magnification, cost about $120 for new one.

You can use onboard flash for starters, just make your own diffuser.

2nd hand D90 @ $800+. You won't have problems getting autofocus on lenses without built-in motor.
For lens, Tamron 90mm is a good starter. $450 for 2nd hand, $600-ish for new one maybe? (not sure)

Thanks for the heads up on the built-in motor loboclerk bro.
I managed to search and read more about it.

Most likely i'll be getting Nikon D3100, i'm wondering if i can use Tamron 90mm on a D3100 body for macro beginners like myself? Since Tamron 90mm has built-in motor in the lens, so no issue if i use D3100 body?

Last edited:

I agree with this set-up....:thumbsup:

I agree with this set-up....:thumbsup:
Hi Denzel bro,
Thanks for your advice too :)

Hmnn.. am i right to say since Tamron 90mm has built-in motor in the lens, so no issue if i use D3100 body which don't have built-in motor?

Hi Denzel bro,
Thanks for your advice too :)

Hmnn.. am i right to say since Tamron 90mm has built-in motor in the lens, so no issue if i use D3100 body which don't have built-in motor?

Yes, that is correct. All the newer copies of the Tamron 90mm have the built in motor

motor for AF right? in macro photography very seldom i use AF, 98% i do manual focusing,
not sure about that built-in motor u are referring coz i am a Sony user.... :)

Yes, that is correct. All the newer copies of the Tamron 90mm have the built in motor
Thanks for the confirmation bro :)

motor for AF right? in macro photography very seldom i use AF, 98% i do manual focusing,
not sure about that built-in motor u are referring coz i am a Sony user.... :)
That's good news for me i guess. Now it seems i've lesser worries about AF thingy :)

Would you guys recommend extension tubes or raynox?

I read the sticky but it doesn't really recommend any. What are the pros and cons?

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited: