Adobe Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
When adjustments are done, are the adjustments saved inside the Lightroom Catalog file?

What would happen if I move a folder of photos to a DVD? The adjustments will not be moved together? So must tell Lightroom to locate the folder again?

When adjustments are done, are the adjustments saved inside the Lightroom Catalog file?

What would happen if I move a folder of photos to a DVD? The adjustments will not be moved together? So must tell Lightroom to locate the folder again?
yes, the adjustments are saved in the catalogue but you can also export them to an external file xmp.

if you move files outside of LR, then of course LR will not be able to find them and you have to point to the location. if you move them within LR then LR will know.

I guess if you want to archive a bunch of photos on a DVD then the best would be to export that part of the catalogue as well, so all the info is together.

This is for the TS, I tihnk Ken Rockwell sums it up even better than I can.

===
Lightroom is great for people who need to shoot events, make some fast corrections for exposure or color, and spit them out.

Photoshop is for careful artists spending much more time on each image. Photoshop also has some sorting ability in Bridge; I've not tried it. Photoshop also can use complex batch commands to modify groups of images together.

Lightroom can replace Photoshop for casual use not requiring much manipulation. Photoshop can do far more than Lightroom to an image, but to just one image at a time.

Lightroom simplifies many of Photoshop's tools, like curves, for easier use by ordinary photographers.
===

I shoot school and company events, ending up with hundreds of shots for a simple day's work. Obviously I'm not going to PS every single shot. Typically I batch process all my NEFs with some simple sharpening presets, correct my WB, do noise reduction and do light hue/saturation work on all the photos and also simple red-eye procedures before I hand the photos back in DVD to the clients. LR works great for this cos all the above processes are one-click.

But if I were to do weddings and studio shoots and develop the shots into good large prints for publication or otherwise (which I don't) , I would probably use LR to select my shots, and then use PS to work on every single selected shot. The clone/healing tool in LR sucks and uses too much memory, maybe I'm just not used to it. Can't use layers for correction in LR too. PS is great for individual shot touch up, if you have the time. :)

Almost everything you want to do in LR can be done in PS-CS2. LR makes it easier by making command processes available at your fingertips with presets. PS gotta dig more, and make some macros.

Hope it helped.

The biggest advantage over PS is it's ability to do non destructive editing. In PS, unless you use layers coupled with the .psd format, the adjustments are un-undoable once you save them. With lightroom, changes are saved in the form of metadata, so you can always open up lightroom at a later date, and undo or finely adjust the adjustments you made long ago.

Yes.

You can simply point lightroom to the new location of the pictures. As long as your lightroom library files are intact, the changes will still be there.

This is for the TS, I tihnk Ken Rockwell sums it up even better than I can.

===
Lightroom is great for people who need to shoot events, make some fast corrections for exposure or color, and spit them out.

Photoshop is for careful artists spending much more time on each image. Photoshop also has some sorting ability in Bridge; I've not tried it. Photoshop also can use complex batch commands to modify groups of images together.

Lightroom can replace Photoshop for casual use not requiring much manipulation. Photoshop can do far more than Lightroom to an image, but to just one image at a time.

Lightroom simplifies many of Photoshop's tools, like curves, for easier use by ordinary photographers.
===

I shoot school and company events, ending up with hundreds of shots for a simple day's work. Obviously I'm not going to PS every single shot. Typically I batch process all my NEFs with some simple sharpening presets, correct my WB, do noise reduction and do light hue/saturation work on all the photos and also simple red-eye procedures before I hand the photos back in DVD to the clients. LR works great for this cos all the above processes are one-click.

But if I were to do weddings and studio shoots and develop the shots into good large prints for publication or otherwise (which I don't) , I would probably use LR to select my shots, and then use PS to work on every single selected shot. The clone/healing tool in LR sucks and uses too much memory, maybe I'm just not used to it. Can't use layers for correction in LR too. PS is great for individual shot touch up, if you have the time. :)

Almost everything you want to do in LR can be done in PS-CS2. LR makes it easier by making command processes available at your fingertips with presets. PS gotta dig more, and make some macros.

Hope it helped.

Very good summary :thumbsup:

aloha,

i haven't read completely through this thread but if you want to know what lightroom can do, or even to check out some tips or pointers or understand how to use it (like me), a very good alternative source is iTunes video podcasts. just search lightroom and download in iTunes, all free, and all simple to view use and understand. it's helped me quite a bit, great for people new to light room, those that need tutorials, and others that maybe want to understand it more before they buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.