Adobe Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.
once you played with LR, you'll forget adobe bridge.

absolutely fantastic program.
i love it.

i am absolutely sure that the Bridge was not meant to view pictures only. it was also meant for other files.

Bridge and LR. 2 totally different programmes btw.

who need to get the education version ?

any idea where we can buy the academic priced lightroom? I'm a student and have been using the beta.

i am absolutely sure that the Bridge was not meant to view pictures only. it was also meant for other files.

Bridge and LR. 2 totally different programmes btw.

new bridge in cs3 is an improvement over cs2's bridge.and to me, they are use to sort pictures, rate them.
LR also does the same, but LR allows you to pp(using develop module) which has an edge over bridge.

i was using bridge to sort pics last time b4 LR was launched.
now that LR is out, i've not touched my bridge ever since.

you do not need to be a student to buy the education edition btw.

you do not need to be a student to buy the education edition btw.

Can name the shop where to buy?
can LR be also use with Photoshop elements? or strictly with Photoshop only?

does LR create a thumbnail of each pictures just like iphoto? I found that after using iphoto for a while, my HDD rapidly ran out of space. freed up so much space after I deleted the thumbnails.

Can name the shop where to buy?
can LR be also use with Photoshop elements? or strictly with Photoshop only?

i dont quite understand what you mean by use with photoshop ele.
LR is a standalone program by itself.
once you've done the adjustments, or sort your pics, you just export them out IF you want to touch up in detail.
do you mean export to elements?

sorry, i dont have elements so cant advise.

does LR create a thumbnail of each pictures just like iphoto? I found that after using iphoto for a while, my HDD rapidly ran out of space. freed up so much space after I deleted the thumbnails.

you mean in LR program itself?yes.
you can even choose how big or how small you want the thumbnails to be by dragging a slider.

you can even choose how big or how small you want the thumbnails to be by dragging a slider.
shucks, I was hoping that it would not be the case. dun have that much free space to let thumbnails hog.

i dont quite understand what you mean by use with photoshop ele.
LR is a standalone program by itself.
once you've done the adjustments, or sort your pics, you just export them out IF you want to touch up in detail.
do you mean export to elements?

sorry, i dont have elements so cant advise.

you can export from inside LR to photoshop as a default and you can select a second software (elements, gimp etc) as an alternative. For both, photoshop and alternative you can choose the file format to be used on the export.
When you do an internal export, directly from within LR, then LR creates a copy of the picture that remains linked within LR to the original, so you see in LR original and modified copy.

Jean, you got it almost right. the slider controls only the representation of the thumbnail in LR but not the actual file size created. For this you need to go Edit>Preferences>File Management, here you can choose the quality of the preview created and the size and, important, how long you want to keep the previews.

TMC, you cannot have a database software without creating thumbnails. By the way each RAW or jpeg file has an embedded thumbnail. LR is using this one to show represent the photo, from the it is calculating previews, size and quality of which you can control as described above. For enlarged viewing and editing 1:1 previews are created, these 1:1 previews are eating space and are regularly discarded. Again you can choose under Edit how often.
Softwares like LR or picasa where you can browse through the pictures by looking at them need previews.... you cannot avoid it. If you are running into problems cause you have several 10'000 photos then you should split your database.

Jean, you got it almost right. the slider controls only the representation of the thumbnail in LR but not the actual file size created. For this you need to go Edit>Preferences>File Management, here you can choose the quality of the preview created and the size and, important, how long you want to keep the previews.

TMC, you cannot have a database software without creating thumbnails. By the way each RAW or jpeg file has an embedded thumbnail. LR is using this one to show represent the photo, from the it is calculating previews, size and quality of which you can control as described above. For enlarged viewing and editing 1:1 previews are created, these 1:1 previews are eating space and are regularly discarded. Again you can choose under Edit how often.
Softwares like LR or picasa where you can browse through the pictures by looking at them need previews.... you cannot avoid it. If you are running into problems cause you have several 10'000 photos then you should split your database.

i usually leave it at default.but i noticed when i view alot of raw files, it will tend to run out of memory.:(

i usually leave it at default.but i noticed when i view alot of raw files, it will tend to run out of memory.:(
well, creating 1:1 previews for 1000 RAW files needs a lot of memory....
consider discarding previews when you have sorted and rated the pics and create the previews only for the ones you want to work on.... keeping the standard size preview low quality and low res will help as well, however you have to put up with lousy pics when you use the loupe until the better view is loaded.... and on your new large screen even in standard view they may look lousy...

Status
Not open for further replies.