ACROS film simulation from BW photos

Alex chong

Apr 5, 2009
I have looked at some ACROS film simulation photos and find the contrast between black and white very nice. I just got myself a used X100T and noticed this model doesn't have ACROS film sim. Has anyone tried to simulate this ACROS by adjusting the highlight and shadow settings in the camera to achieve this look? Really digging this ACROS look.

You can try downloading Capture 1 Fujifilm Express to convert your raw file using the Acros film simulation in the software. Btw it is a free software.

Capture1 fuji express as far as I understand it is a watered down version of the pro version.It's free and like a trail version..don't know if it can save files.That said it reads fuji raw files which other established photo editing software may not fully give good results even lightroom.Play with it if you like.

Do understand although other editing software have digital film simulations..not only for fujifilm they cannot 100%..not come close to genuine Acros simulation only available in camera processing that have it.

Obviously fuji does not disclose acros software algorithms as this is it's intellectual property and company secrets. Other film simulation software does not process the fuji way. In essence fuji film simulations are embedded in the camera's firmware. If you want acros the only way is to get a model that have acros feature.

There is a collaboration between Fujifilm and Capture 1, so the raw conversion of all the Fujifilm simulation in Capture 1 is very close to the camera film simulation output. Yes, it does allow you to save file. If Alex's main concern is only to get the Acros film simulation, the Express version is more than enough to suit his purpose.

Thanks guys for the in depth input. Will give the app a try. I am going to seriously consider the Mark V X100 when it comes out next year. :p

Oh sorry Alex Chong capture1 v12 fuji film simulations does not support your camera x100t or more specifically not the xtrans 1 or 2 sensors.:eek: Here is the list of supported cameras with newer sensors.

Edit: What it really means I think is capture1 is able to read the raw file headers and simulate the ICC profiles and replicate aproximately fujifilm's in camera processing of the photo. If it can also simulate fujifilm's other film emulsions of Bayer or older xtrans sensors raw files so much the better.

Edit: I stand corrected as tlt4768 pointed out the new listing of cameras supported.

Last edited:
I downloaded the 30 days trial version. Isn’t the software able to work on any raw files? I downloaded one raw pix from the x100T and was able to adjust accordingly. Interestingly it has this function call clarity which I think makes the picture pops especially for b/w photos.

If you download the Fujifilm Express version, there is no expiry date, it's a free software but with many major function disabled as compared to the paid version. Also the Fujifilm Express can only read Fujifilm raw file. Yes, the clarity tool is indeed very useful but can be over done if too much is applied, especially for portrait.

If you download the Fujifilm Express version, there is no expiry date, it's a free software but with many major function disabled as compared to the paid version. Also the Fujifilm Express can only read Fujifilm raw file. Yes, the clarity tool is indeed very useful but can be over done if too much is applied, especially for portrait.
Thanks, just installed it again and selected the Fujifilm express version.