accidentally touch focusing ring

hoho85

Dec 1, 2009
West
i am using a tamron, and sometimes accidentally touch the focusing ring but not using force.. bcos its just next to the zoom ring.. :(

I lent my fren he also accidentally touched the ring when its auto focusing...

Will the autofocus be damaged this way or not as accurate...?

Hmm just curious abt this sorry for noob question.

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
If it was dangerous to do so, you would see huge stickers and warnings all over the manual not to touch the focusing ring during AF. just make sure not to use force to stop it from rotating (duh) and you're fine.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
no la, is not a problem.

loads of hapless newcomers try to manually override the af by turning the focusing ring - that would probably be more of a problem.

your camera is not made of tofu.

leowyien

Jan 31, 2010
Serangoon
If we rotate the focusing ring during auto focus will it spoil the lens?

Last edited:

hoho85

Dec 1, 2009
West
oh that will spoil. i read abt only lenses that support Full time Manual focusing can do this.

hmm. i ask the question cos sometimes i accidentally support the camera and lens by holding over to the focus ring, only when i focus, then realise i was touching focus ring alr..ahh:sweat:

Legoz

Mar 7, 2008
What i tend to do is shoot with one hand. I rather get blur pics than to spoil my lens. =)

wdEvA

Sep 1, 2006
etanphotography.com
i am using a tamron, and sometimes accidentally touch the focusing ring but not using force.. bcos its just next to the zoom ring.. :(

touching the ring won't spoil it.
but when in AF mode, and you attempt to turn the focus ring, or stop the ring when it's focusing, it will be damaged. (if your lens doesn't have full time manual focusing)

What i tend to do is shoot with one hand. I rather get blur pics than to spoil my lens. =)
i rather not shoot than get blur pics ;p

Rashkae

Nov 28, 2005
It's VERY hard to turn it if the AF is still locked on. You would need to use quite a bit of force,which then falls into the "why are you trying to deliberately break your lens?" category.

Dec 10, 2008
Pasir Ris
I heard that the AF ring works to power the motor which works like a dynamo system. If you turn it more, your AF speeds increase exponentially :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You better ship it back to Japan and order the Tamron optical engineers with a 5 digit paycheck in US currency to inspect and reassemble your lens, also to calibrate the lens to within 0.0000000001% tolerance of accuracy.

Diavonex

Sep 23, 2008
Admiralty
If you engage reverse gear when your car is stationery, no damage is done.

If you engage reverse gear when your car is moving, you will hear the grinding of gears. There will be some damage.

Same apply to the AF of your lens.

Lolrence

Oct 15, 2006
It won't get damaged that easily, unless you deliberately turn the focus ring hard in the opposite direction.

Top Bottom