accidentally touch focusing ring

hoho85

Dec 1, 2009
West
i am using a tamron, and sometimes accidentally touch the focusing ring but not using force.. bcos its just next to the zoom ring.. :(

I lent my fren he also accidentally touched the ring when its auto focusing...

Will the autofocus be damaged this way or not as accurate...?

Hmm just curious abt this sorry for noob question.

If it was dangerous to do so, you would see huge stickers and warnings all over the manual not to touch the focusing ring during AF. just make sure not to use force to stop it from rotating (duh) and you're fine.

no la, is not a problem.

loads of hapless newcomers try to manually override the af by turning the focusing ring - that would probably be more of a problem.

your camera is not made of tofu.

If we rotate the focusing ring during auto focus will it spoil the lens?

Last edited:

oh that will spoil. i read abt only lenses that support Full time Manual focusing can do this.

hmm. i ask the question cos sometimes i accidentally support the camera and lens by holding over to the focus ring, only when i focus, then realise i was touching focus ring alr..ahh:sweat:

What i tend to do is shoot with one hand. I rather get blur pics than to spoil my lens. =)

i am using a tamron, and sometimes accidentally touch the focusing ring but not using force.. bcos its just next to the zoom ring.. :(

touching the ring won't spoil it.
but when in AF mode, and you attempt to turn the focus ring, or stop the ring when it's focusing, it will be damaged. (if your lens doesn't have full time manual focusing)

What i tend to do is shoot with one hand. I rather get blur pics than to spoil my lens. =)

i rather not shoot than get blur pics ;p

It's VERY hard to turn it if the AF is still locked on. You would need to use quite a bit of force,which then falls into the "why are you trying to deliberately break your lens?" category.

I heard that the AF ring works to power the motor which works like a dynamo system. If you turn it more, your AF speeds increase exponentially :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I heard that the AF ring works to power the motor which works like a dynamo system. If you turn it more, your AF speeds increase exponentially :thumbsup::thumbsup:

:eek: now then you tell me .. must start rotating all my lens :thumbsup:

You better ship it back to Japan and order the Tamron optical engineers with a 5 digit paycheck in US currency to inspect and reassemble your lens, also to calibrate the lens to within 0.0000000001% tolerance of accuracy.

If I turn it fast enough, would it power the camera without a battery inserted? :think:

if you turn it fast enough, your camera becomes an apache, and will unleash big pain on people whom you dislike while being airborne. :devil:

If you engage reverse gear when your car is stationery, no damage is done.

If you engage reverse gear when your car is moving, you will hear the grinding of gears. There will be some damage.

Same apply to the AF of your lens.

What would it cause?

Erm... Try a bit of logic, can? What happens when a gear wants to go in one direction, and you force it the other way?

It won't get damaged that easily, unless you deliberately turn the focus ring hard in the opposite direction.

amaazing amount of OT here.