Accident at 1st Cdo Bn - Hendon Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wai said:
even the parachute can open properly, accident still can happen in the mid air
this is a true accident happen to my senior many years back

after he jumped, the parachute opened as usual, but a strong wind blow him off the course and end up he flew above another parachute

due to the low pressure create above the parachute, my friend's parachute COLLAPSED and he FREE FALL and hit a tree, then landed on a solid ground.

The branches probably saved his life but he was in hospital for 6 mths....and then downgraded to become storeman

Yeah.. I never do airborne before.. but not hard to guess the danger there..

However, descenting for rope should be much safer. The miscommunication between the pilot and aircrew is really a sad accident, shouldn't have happen.

Any update on the news yet?

precisely, helicopter and parachute do not go together.

deslim27 said:
parachute? :bsmilie:

Before the parachute open fully, back side on the ground liao..

me not a commando. doesn't the word 'heliborne' connotates 'helicopter' being used?

deslim27 said:
Wonder what happen.. Heliborne shouldn't be too dangerous actually especially after safety pin thing implemented.

My Condolence.

reachme2003 said:
me not a commando. doesn't the word 'heliborne' connotates 'helicopter' being used?

me not commando too.. for your question, answer is yes. :bsmilie:

Edit: If my memory didn't fail me, the accident that killed the 4 commandos happen during my NS. Wow.. so many years ago liao

i thought the news reported that the accident took place at SBAB?
:dunno:

what is SBAB? i remembered it was at hendon camp.

reachme2003 said:
what is SBAB? i remembered it was at hendon camp.

sembawang airbase

yes, st reported at Endon camp. i believe there is a typo error. it's hendon.

icarus said:
sembawang airbase

reminds me of black hawk down.

the guy got injured while roping down the black hawk but he survived.

sad.

nemesis32 said:
Not much info regarding this in The New Paper..

Just curious, i understand 1st commando bn won best unit again.. kinda strange since the drowning incident is only last year right? or i rem wrongly...

With the Drowning incident, parachuting accident and this latest accident, i wonder if there's something wrong with the training procedures...

This is an accident. There is nothing wrong with the training procedures for parachuting and heli rappling. My bro who is in 1 CDO BN said that the chopper's base supporting the soldiers gave way. Suay. My bro said that it is safe until cannot safe no more. Only an accident can happen. It is even safe enough for them to jump without a parachute and equipment cos its only 4 story high and it is a heli-rappling training.

It is very common cos of the nature of their job and training. More dangerous than other units. :sweat: Only a commando or someone close to them can appreciate and understand what they're doing. The red berat signifies the blood of their fellow soldiers.

MINDEF had issued a 'Time Out' for all training for 2 days. No units are allowed to conduct in camp/out of camp activities for the time being.

so everyone shakes legs?

Ivan11 said:
MINDEF had issued a 'Time Out' for all training for 2 days. No units are allowed to conduct in camp/out of camp activities for the time being.

maybe it is the preventive maintenance of the helicopters that are in question now.

afbug said:
This is an accident. There is nothing wrong with the training procedures for parachuting and heli rappling. My bro who is in 1 CDO BN said that the chopper's base supporting the soldiers gave way. Suay. My bro said that it is safe until cannot safe no more. Only an accident can happen. It is even safe enough for them to jump without a parachute and equipment cos its only 4 story high and it is a heli-rappling training.

It is very common cos of the nature of their job and training. More dangerous than other units. :sweat: Only a commando or someone close to them can appreciate and understand what they're doing. The red berat signifies the blood of their fellow soldiers.

reachme2003 said:
maybe it is the preventive maintenance of the helicopters that are in question now.

It should be. But we are not sure so better not jump to any conclusions. Normally for heli ex, the super puma is used.

This kinda thing does happen. During my time, my friend's landrover's left front wheel came off while driving. Lucky he was turing into camp and speed is low. My CSM's face wasn't very pleasent that day. :bsmilie:

afbug said:
It should be. But we are not sure so better not jump to any conclusions. Normally for heli ex, the super puma is used.

My time was Huey.. UH-1H.. Read from paper.. Huey retired liao.. man, this is one cool flying machine.

From www.mindef.gov.sg

1SG Shiva s/o Mohan from the SAF Commando, and a foreign serviceman were undergoing the Rappelling Instructor Course when they fell while rappelling from the helicopter. The incident happened at 9.11 pm yesterday. The helicopter was hovering about 20 metres above ground. No other serviceman was injured.

The two servicemen were evacuated to the Sembawang Air Base medical centre at 9.23 pm. The doctors stabilised both servicemen in preparation for evacuation to the Singapore General Hospital. The medical evacuation helicopter departed the air base at 10.27 pm and reached the hospital in 7 minutes. The two servicemen were pronounced dead at about 11 pm.

Heli-rappelling training has been suspended, pending the conclusion of the investigation. All other training activities proceed as normal. The SAF is conducting a 2-day safety review of its processes and procedures.

MINDEF and the SAF extend their deepest condolences to the family of the late 1SG Shiva and will be assisting the family in their time of loss. MINDEF is conducting an investigation

I was in the unit and accident happens every now and then from minor to very serious. I believe it takes place in any camps as well. What we can do is minimise it. I can say that my company is smooth sailing as nothing serious has happened. :sweat: Reminding me about the dunking incident, i think it is sad that the government did not even try to help our servicemen, the commando officers and instead of putting all the blame on them. This is worse and accident happens and no one wanted this to happen as well. This exercise have been conducting ever now and then to prepare our rangers. :(

as far as i can recall during my time, the choppers are damn old already. servicing is not as first class as fixed wings aircraft. no load test/fracture checks for skids also, i also worry that rotor will fall apart one day. rappelling.. never that safe anyway.. heli insertion exercise, mis-comm and the chopper lift off before you can unrope yourself! up to you to imagine..

those who are/were commandos, you can shed some light on the possibilities?

today's st reported that the accident happened at Sembawang Air Base.

reachme2003 said:
yes, st reported at Endon camp. i believe there is a typo error. it's hendon.

Status
Not open for further replies.