A80 or G5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smashing

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
Hi all,
I'm a newbie in photography and currently selecting between canon A80 and G5. I know it might not be tat appropriate to compare these 2 models as they belong to different range. but in terms of value/dollar, which one offers more value for money? which one is most suitable for a beginner? hope to get some valuable advice from u guys...

some notes:
- don't mind 1MP dif btw 2
- CP quotes me 1120 for G5(canon offer 1 free 128mb CF), but i didn't ask for A80. How much is A80 selling? from what i know, Sitex is selling A80 for 749 with some freebies
- care abt manual functions and hope to play around with the manual settings as my skills advance.

thanks!

i just got the A80 from sim lim, its way cheaper there, $620 without any freebies.

Add $15 for carrier, $68 for 128mb CF card and 4% GST for the camera.

quite a good camera for a newbie like me, not too complicated yet with enough features to play around with.

IMHO, the best value/money ratio is to get a 2nd hand G3 from the buy/sell forum.

Poon said:
IMHO, the best value/money ratio is to get a 2nd hand G3 from the buy/sell forum.

but i think some ppl are anti 2nd hand stuff..
they would rather pay a 25-35% more for 1st hand... :D :D
as u can see the 2nd hand G3 is not cheap oso... :think:

For example new 602z was selling around S$1030 few months back
(around April)...
but for a 1 year old 602z, market value is still in the range of (S$620 to S$700) depending on the condition..
meaning u save only 30%+ for a ONE YEAR OLD camera.... :bigeyes:
It is definately not WORTH it if u are working class ppl who afford to pay more..

actually someone(waikhong, is i spelled correctly) is offering his 5-6mths old G3 at 850. is there a market rate for a 2nd hand G3? any comments? and, ya, anything to take note when buying a 2nd hand DC?

G5 of cos better than A80!

Comparing only these two models:

G3/G5 pros:

- Faster lens
- Powerful flash
- Support RAW format
- Bigger LCD
- Command dial

A80 pros:

- Cheaper
- More compact
- AA batteries (use 2100 NiMH rechargeables!)

(I've put the most important factors, IMO, at the top.)

I read people commented, because of tighter packed CCD, G5's image quality is worse than G3. I'd spent a month tossing between G3 and A80 before I finally settled on A80 for my limited budget.

johnyu said:
Comparing only these two models:

I read people commented, because of tighter packed CCD, G5's image quality is worse than G3.
yeah, this is wat i observed from some of the reviews site as well. but i still prefer G5 bcoz it's black :D

johnyu said:
I'd spent a month tossing between G3 and A80 before I finally settled on A80 for my limited budget.
same here. think A80 is really value for money and within my budget

so, i think i'll go for A80. requested equotes from AP, CP, MS, but haven't got the reply yet. anyone knows the latest price from each store?

and these are some of my final questions:
1. wat accesories would u recommend? and price for each?
2. wat to check for when making the purchase? (eg, check for dead pixels on LCD... actually how to check for dead pixels? just by looking at the LCD? ;p hope someone can enlighten me.)

thanks.
P/s: ClubSnap and csers really ROCKS!!! :thumbsup:

Smashing said:
so, i think i'll go for A80. requested equotes from AP, CP, MS, but haven't got the reply yet. anyone knows the latest price from each store?

It should be somewhere around S$630-660 w/ GST.

(There's a rumour someone got a quotation from MSC @ $560 w/GST. No one has verified it... http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=52714 )

Smashing said:
and these are some of my final questions:
1. wat accesories would u recommend? and price for each?
2. wat to check for when making the purchase? (eg, check for dead pixels on LCD... actually how to check for dead pixels? just by looking at the LCD? ;p hope someone can enlighten me.)

Accessories:

- Pouch: The original one from Canon (not included in package) looks good. :)
(Some people said some shops throw it in for free. Mine didn't.)
- 52mm filter adaptor, if you need to use filters

What to check:

- Number one thing to check is that the manual etc should be packed inside a plastic bag, unopened.
- I'm not sure you can test/try the camera before purchase.
- Is it made in Japan? (Rumour been around that future batches will be made in Thailand or Malaysia...) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.