A watch for my 17th birthday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My birthday is coming in two months. Thinking of getting myself something different this year (Nikon D50 two years ago, Nikon D80 last year).

My budget is about S$2500? Wouldn't mind increasing if it's a really really nice piece.
Nothing fanciful, i'm looking for a clean piece. Something i can wear to a club and also to an important function (e.g., wedding). No need for any special mechanisms either (tourbillons, repeaters of any sort)
Looking for recommendations! (edit. haha sorry for the miscom)

Thanks.
I quite like this pair. Saw it earlier at paragon. A pity the shop was closed:(
http://www.georgjensenstore.com/index.php?do=product.details&productid=404&catalogid=315&lineid=316

sorry but what kinda club can a 17 yr old go? and in a club, who could see your 2.5k watch? functions?

so what do you do for a living? :)

sorry but what kinda club can a 17 yr old go? and in a club, who could see your 2.5k watch? functions?

so what do you do for a living? :)

oh, a 17 year old can go to many clubs.

Legally speaking, underage parties at Zouk? Silver? MOS even. By the way, Singapore Island Country Club (more commonly referred to as SICC) is also a club.

haha, more dodgy clubbing would be sneaking into night clubs while under-age.

Functions? Wedding dinners, Fashion shows, Openings, previews, showcases.. etc.

hi TS, for that kind of cash u can take ur time window shop. there are many brands with similiar designs to the link u post.

where have u gone window shopping so far? like some1 has mentioned earlier, u could get more than 1 decent watch for that $$$. 1 sporty 1, 1 dress watch. :)

2.5k can't get u any tourbillions la. jlc definitely above your budget. try tag heuer, raymond weil, oris, hamilton for those sporty chrono ones.

Legally speaking, underage parties at Zouk? Silver? MOS even. By the way, Singapore Island Country Club (more commonly referred to as SICC) is also a club.

seriously speaking, forget watches while going clubbing... you can't showcase your own watch...

okay it's up to you then. recession coming btw :bsmilie:

growing up to be a debutante?

Just to share a little. In my younger days, I spent about $1.5k on a Zodiac with gold plated accents on a deployant bracelet. This was the closest "look alike" to the Tag Sports elegance (my dream watch then)

In the early 90's a Tag Heur sports elegance was about 3k+ to 4k (half "gold" equivalent to my Zodiac) but not equivalent in Branding and Recognition.

Over the years, as I saved more.... A Zenith El Primero, triple date + moonphase and chronograph. But I bought this second-hand in Sydney through Karl Braunsteiner (good dealer).

Then a Jaeger Le Coultre, master moon and a few others.

Sad to say, most of the complications that I have, disappointed me. After servicing them at the required intervals (mostly 5 years), the performance have dropped on me.

Moonphase not moving properly, sometimes jam timing.

These days, I use a GMT-II, very "uncle" watch, but then I am already an uncle aged person.

My word of advise to you is this (if you will allow it), mull over these few pointers below:

1) Your money, your decision (don't let other people detract from you)
2) If the model of watch is going to "attract" too much attention until you feel very "self conscious", then you have to live with it.
[I went through that when I was 25, wearing a half gold Rolex Oyster Perpetual]
3) Consider that you probably have to do NS soon, I am presuming that you have to serve. If you don't have to. Then ignore this comment.
3.1) So get a reliable water proof, that is quite tough. The Seiko Orange Monster (SKX-781) is quite a classic. I have this in my collection too. I may have other "better" brands, but some days you feel like wearing a EDW (every date wear) beater.

So, go and to do more homework at the shopping centres. Sincere, Hour Glass, Cortina, etc. I am sure there is more than 1 model that will jump at you.

At the end of the day, buying a watch is about pleasing yourself.

Put on the watch at the store, if the watch "talks" to you and you like it. Buy it, if within your budget.

Don't break the "piggy bank", chasing a next better watch, is always there. Salesman will always upsell you.

You need to be disciplined.

Good luck in your journey, towards the World of Horology.

BTW, repeaters and tourbillions cost at least 5 digits (S$10k level, if not more). Often more and not less.

you shouldnt have mentioned your age now everyone's breathing down on you heh

TS should have ask about lenses, tripod legs & head. there will sure be those who will recommend buying the best, spend more, more, more... budget? dun stick to it oni the best will do!

different people different strokes, some do spend more than that amount on photographic gears. $2500 where got enough! :bsmilie:

i wont spend that much on a watch too, but take ur time window shop. at ur age, wad u like now & few years later may have changed.

Perhaps pop by any Sincere watch shops around town, they have a good collection of branded watches. Perhaps a good Tag Heuer(Carrera?) can go with you :D

relax lar, it kopitiam what.

happy bird day to u in advance. $2.5k:bigeyes: can get a big big divers watch liao.:heart::heart:

which big big diver watch to recommend for 2.5k? ;p

Sean, if u want to ask for opinions regarding buying a watch in future, just ask and tell them ur budget. Leave the "birthday coming" and ur age out of it. That way u won't get teased. It's not ur fault that ur parents r generous. Spend it wisely, a watch is a good investment if u select a good one.

Happy birthday in advance. :)

Wow, first of all,thank you everyone for their inputs.

Anyway, about the NS part, i'd just wear a gshock or casio or something more hardy, less painful on the wallet.

Back to my hunt...I mentioned my age because i feel it's important that the watch is reflection of who i am (emotionally, age, "status", virtues etc etc)

Haha, and i know 2.5k is no where near those uber watches. xD those are for the future.

Sean, if u want to ask for opinions regarding buying a watch in future, just ask and tell them ur budget. Leave the "birthday coming" and ur age out of it. That way u won't get teased. It's not ur fault that ur parents r generous. Spend it wisely, a watch is a good investment if u select a good one.

Happy birthday in advance. :)

Thank you. But i mentioned my age because i feel there's no need to be shy about it. I am 17, and i'm looking for a watch.

h=Haha, thanks again for the birthday wish and those words of wisdom:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.