A tissue packet too far

Status
Not open for further replies.
if i see i will just throw the tissue paper away...then if approach..what tissue? want to do DNA test? i got lo bang...HAahaha and it will costs more then your damn meal + 100 packs of tissue paper

Ah great, Raffles City; near my workplace. I'll go sweep free tissue papers later :)

Usually i will sweep a few tissues papers during lunch time. There are no issues :)

Well, let's face it. We aren't a gracious society, yet. So let's stop pretend that the "inner graciousness" will somehow manifest itself with cute little campaigns.

The only way to make this culture go away is to make it a law that, unless there's a person sitting at a hawker center table, ANY unattended items will be swept away by the hawker center cleaners. Heck, attach a fine as well to both the patron and the hawker center management if not complied to.

Until then, we can continue suffer these daily indignities with a smile :bsmilie:

i'm not sure it's wrong or right anymore....

but when i'm eating alone during peak hr, i will buy a newspaper to reserve a sit rather than using ur laptop etc. as it's difficult to wait for a sit with ur food.

i'm not sure it's wrong or right anymore....

but when i'm eating alone during peak hr, i will buy a newspaper to reserve a sit rather than using ur laptop etc. as it's difficult to wait for a sit with ur food.

Easy lah, eat as you walk. I do that most of the time having a bread and can of coke while walking. :bsmilie:

Actually you don't need to make it a law. Just continue to sweep any unattended items away and they can't do a damn thing about it.

Well, let's face it. We aren't a gracious society, yet. So let's stop pretend that the "inner graciousness" will somehow manifest itself with cute little campaigns.

The only way to make this culture go away is to make it a law that, unless there's a person sitting at a hawker center table, ANY unattended items will be swept away by the hawker center cleaners. Heck, attach a fine as well to both the patron and the hawker center management if not complied to.

Until then, we can continue suffer these daily indignities with a smile :bsmilie:

+1. i like what u say. first step is to admit the problem and then move on to progress....but then....

cute little campaigns? i thought they are a waste of time..just like the speak good english movement

This Tissue issue will never end. We are living in a highly competitive society. Kiasuism had been inplanted into our mind for so long.

BTW is taking those packet of tissue away an offence? Can it be considered stealling?

actually, the argument that it is more efficient to reserve seats is flawed. i think the reserving of seats actually causes inefficiency. while you are queuing for your food, someone else could have taken the seat, finished his food, and left!

instead, seats are left empty for 15-20 minutes (at amoy st food centre) while people queue, and the others mill around looking for "un-choped" seats!

i don't see such things in other countries..it's always get your food, find a seat. come on...it can't be that singaporeans somehow figured out a way to eat at crowded places?

actually, the argument that it is more efficient to reserve seats is flawed. i think the reserving of seats actually causes inefficiency. while you are queuing for your food, someone else could have taken the seat, finished his food, and left!

instead, seats are left empty for 15-20 minutes (at amoy st food centre) while people queue, and the others mill around looking for "un-choped" seats!

i don't see such things in other countries..it's always get your food, find a seat. come on...it can't be that singaporeans somehow figured out a way to eat at crowded places?

Bring their own table and chairs? :think:
I do see portable ones in Ikea.

As you all have known, there has been a lot of debate about reserving seats with packets of tissues already.

Anyway, I just want to share with you what I read quite awhile back. Bear in mind that I am not supporting the idea of using packets of tissue to reserve seats nor do I strongly detest it. What I read awhile back seems fairly logical to me and so my intentions are just to share with you guys, and I will try to summarize as much as I can too :p

Usually the objective of reserving seats with packets of tissue is what? It is to allow all members of the group to be able to move out and get their food before finally settling down, eating together; less time consuming, in a sense.

On the other hand, if 1 member (member A) of the group has to sit down to reserve the seat, member A would have to wait for the rest of them to come back to the table to be able to get his food. In addition, while he is out looking for this food, MAYBE the rest would wait for him to come back before starting to eat. Even so, wouldn't it be more time consuming as compared to substituting a person with a must "invaluable" item such as a packet of tissue to reserve a seat instead?

I mean it does make sense to me. Of course you could argue that it is not right or it is kiasu etc. & I understand your point because sometimes I feel the same way too. Anyway, again, my objective is just to share with you all, not to start a debate.

Cheers :D!

Last edited:
haha. ok. i think every country have some bad habits. we are just more critical about ourselves than other people.

Agree, perhaps being too self-critical is another fault of Singaporeans.

Or maybe it is a self-defence mechanism, once you criticise others you elevate yourself from the masses of ungracious and uncouth people (shucks, i just criticised others for being too self-critical so that i would not be labelled as being too self-critical!!! hahahahaha)

I'm no anthropologist but being packed with 5 million other people on a land mass of approx. 700 square kilometres probably has some influence over some of our perculiar behaviours...

haha. ok. i think every country have some bad habits. we are just more critical about ourselves than other people.

Depends on how you look at it. I'm more outsider looking in these days and this is the first I've heard of it.

Personally I'm absolutely horrified. Read: Embarrassed to be (vaguely) Singaporean...

Status
Not open for further replies.