Status
Not open for further replies.

khairi

Apr 6, 2004
yishun
inbloomblog.multiply.com
guys,

if a client wants you to take stock photos of a place,
then they would only select the ones that they want for their stock library, how much would you charge a single photo that the client had decided to buy?

$100/$200/$300?

Step up and post your advice.

i'm interested in the answer too...

oracle0711 said:
10 or less @ S$250 each
11 to 50 @ S$180 each
50 and above @ S$100 each

pardon my ignorance, but how do u get all these figures?

oracle0711 said:
10 or less @ S$250 each
11 to 50 @ S$180 each
50 and above @ S$100 each
thanks...I will quote to your recommended price...my intention was not to spoil the market price for stock photo shoot...cos the first thing that came to my head was a miserable $50 for a single photo!...i thought it can't be right.

I've asked a few guys...and they too told me the abt price that you had mentioned.

behyx said:
pardon my ignorance, but how do u get all these figures?

Those were the prices I charge to my clients. My starting point was based on prices quoted by some folks in the U.K. They tend to charge professionally and I tot it was good to use those price line but given Singapore/Asian perception of art / photography in commercial terms, I dropped the price slightly to what I was quoting in the previous msg.

there is no right or wrong price, but I prefer to maintain a certain standard with peers around the globe so as not to undercut others or start a price war. Afterall, photography to me is an art and my work is a statement of my standard. ;)

khairi said:
thanks...I will quote to your recommended price...my intention was not to spoil the market price for stock photo shoot...cos the first thing that came to my head was a miserable $50 for a single photo!...i thought it can't be right.

I've asked a few guys...and they too told me the abt price that you had mentioned.
You are most welcome. Yes, $50 per pc is really too miserable. If you feel that you like your own work, then you have every right to ask for a higher price. Don't start with a low asking fee. That way, you have room for negotiation and also maintain your asking fee as a professional (i am sure being a pro is what you desire to be one day) :)

Thanks oracle0711 for your info. i'm sure we've much more insights to the photography corporate world.

well, i too aspire to become professional one day. a commercial photographer in fact, more to studio/outdoor photography.

by the way, any works of yours available online for us to appreciate? :)

Hi to all,

This is indeed a very interesting thread and some very useful answers here.

But can i enquire if anyone of you have some kind of contract with the clients when you sell them the stock photos. If so can one of you be so kind to send me a copy or let me know where i can find a sample.

I am also interested to know what are the right for the photographer to use the photo afterwards. Can the photographer still use that particular photo for competetions etc . . .

Thanks

behyx said:
Thanks oracle0711 for your info. i'm sure we've much more insights to the photography corporate world.

well, i too aspire to become professional one day. a commercial photographer in fact, more to studio/outdoor photography.

by the way, any works of yours available online for us to appreciate? :)

Me not really a pro coz i don't shoot full time. I shoot mostly on request from personal friends. However, I do appreciate the artistic nature of photography and that's why i felt the price attached should be worth the value from every artistic angle.

anyway, you can access some of my personal work at this site: http://www.daniel-maye.com/me/photography/index.htm

Cheers... daniel

oh ya, oracle0711, can you also talk about the copyright issue of photographs? like what should we brief our clients about the laws and restrictions (if there should be any?)

khairi said:
guys,

if a client wants you to take stock photos of a place,
then they would only select the ones that they want for their stock library, how much would you charge a single photo that the client had decided to buy?

$100/$200/$300?

Step up and post your advice.

Excuse me, you're talking about a stock library right?

According to my personal experience I haven't come across a stock library that buys photos outright. Most of the time you get 50% royalty every time a photo is sold. A stock library does not sell photos. They sell rights to use the photos.

I wouldn't want to advise selling the photos to stock libraries cheap. You'll be missing out any future opportunity of making money from your photos. I would rather advise you to sign a contract with them that everytime they sell your photos you get a 50% royalty.

Be careful that there are more than one stock library in South East Asia that is involved in a commercial practice that is detrimental to the interests of a photographer.

Regards,
Sion

Status
Not open for further replies.