A small review on a 3rd party lens hood for DA/DAL 55-300mm

Nope .

18-55mm is 52mm while 55-300 is 58mm

The hood shape also different

However 18-55 and 50-200mm did share the same mount , but of cos the shape still different :)

Thanks for the headsup, will be heading down to Artwork later to get the hood.
will get one for the 18-55 as well if its available.

Thanks, both the 18-55 and the 55-300 lens are 58mm? Only the hood is different length? Am i correct?

i called them up, they say their store at trengganu street closes at 9. any idea where is it?

They have different front thread size. Even they share the same thread size, their focal ranges are so different, you can't use a tele lens hood on a wide angle lens.

Trengganu st is the walking street in Chinatown. There are two Manly stores in Chinatown, one on Trennganu st, one on Temple st., less than 2min walking distance apart :)

They have different front thread size. Even they share the same thread size, their focal ranges are so different, you can't use a tele lens hood on a wide angle lens.

But we can use the wide angle lens hood on tele mah. except it doesn't serve must purpose except maybe only at 50mm focus length :p ha

Last edited:
But we can use the wide angle lens hood on tele mah. except it doesn't serve must purpose except maybe only at 50mm focus length :p ha

Yes, you can use a wide angle lens hood on a tele lens (if it fits). But it won't work as well.

Just like my kids like to wear their mom's shoes (she got far too many!), but their mom can't were theirs ;)

I just bought the lens hoods from manly. the 18-55 fits perfectly. Pardon my ignorance, but is the 58mm lens hood for the 55-300mm supposed to be "loose"? There isn't a clip when I turn the hood onto the lens, unlike the 18-55 which has an assuring catch when the hood is fully screwed on.

Any similar experiences using this lens hood?

thanks. it doesn't "catch" onto my DAL 55-300 :/ time to go down to manly again.

Bought the 52mm Hood for my 18-55mm DAL kit lens last Friday, I believe the ladyboss there (whom I was told was Mrs Quek) gave me a pretty good price for it as I also bought a Slik tripod.. which I'm wondering if its good or not.. = p

Bought the 52mm Hood for my 18-55mm DAL kit lens last Friday, I believe the ladyboss there (whom I was told was Mrs Quek) gave me a pretty good price for it as I also bought a Slik tripod.. which I'm wondering if its good or not.. = p

Which model and how much? If you just wonder like that we also cannot comment . . . :devil: Normal tripod is ok. Not to heavy not too light until wind can topple the camera over. That is good. Silk, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Benro, Velbron, etc all have good tripods . . ., BUT the best is still GITZO :devil:

Which model and how much? If you just wonder like that we also cannot comment . . . :devil: Normal tripod is ok. Not to heavy not too light until wind can topple the camera over. That is good. Silk, Manfrotto, Gitzo, Benro, Velbron, etc all have good tripods . . ., BUT the best is still GITZO :devil:

Thanks for your response Felix, the Tripod is Slik F740 and my gear is still pretty much the K-x with kit (18-55mm) and 55-300mm DAL zoom for now.. Gitzo is the best huh? Noob question, what distinguishes it from the others? How'd they compare price-wise as well?

Reason why I bought the Tripod is coz I might be going to Philippines soon for work and might take a day out to Tagaytay where they have the Volcano and is very picturesque.. might make some nice picture taking.. albeit very amateur on my part .. ;p

Hope to pick up more tips and such from you folks and make it to next Pentaxian outing if I can make it across the causeway to make it! ;)

Thanks for your response Felix, the Tripod is Slik F740 and my gear is still pretty much the K-x with kit (18-55mm) and 55-300mm DAL zoom for now.. Gitzo is the best huh? Noob question, what distinguishes it from the others? How'd they compare price-wise as well?

Reason why I bought the Tripod is coz I might be going to Philippines soon for work and might take a day out to Tagaytay where they have the Volcano and is very picturesque.. might make some nice picture taking.. albeit very amateur on my part .. ;p

Hope to pick up more tips and such from you folks and make it to next Pentaxian outing if I can make it across the causeway to make it! ;)

GITZO is the best but it is NOT cheap about $800 - $1K
Manfrotto is next at about $500++ (I have one which is light and therefore ex)

The SILK you have is also good as SOLK is a German brand.

Do join us on our outings and you can learn more too . . .