A small review on a 3rd party lens hood for DA/DAL 55-300mm

Supersimon27

Jan 20, 2010
Got my DAL 55-300mm 2 months back and I the 1st problem I face is that this lens doesn’t come with a decent hood.

Did a search on net and the original PH-RBG 58mm cost USD44.95 (haven’t include shipping) from B&H. Rubber hood was easily available on Ebay however a lot of Pentaxian already feedback that the quality is not good and it’s not build to last. The 2nd option will be the 58mm screw on metal hood , but after purchase one myself , I feel that the hood is not deep enough, and storing it in not very convenient as we can’t reserve mount it.

Read up a lot from Pentaxforum , but it seem like everyone is also looking for a good hood for their DAL 55-300mm too. Just when I was about to give up, I manage to found that JJC brand actually make a bayonet mount replacement of Ph-RBG 58mm hood. Brian and I try to contact them but it seem like they doesn’t want to entertain end customer like us. By chance I happen to found that Artwork (one of our mass sale advertiser ) did carry JJC product. After a few pm exchange with micheal , he finally agreed to bring in the hoods for us. The hood arrived today after the long wait.

4808265009_27396b3f44.jpg

This JJC hood (LH-RBG 58mm) share exactly the same design with the original Pentax hood. Hence it doesn’t have any vignetting issue.

4808268847_58a900e7f7.jpg

It also have the same opening that found in most of our hood that’s very useful if we use a CPL filter

4808887296_bf736656b8.jpg

The material used is also high quality plastic , almost identical with one use for Pentax zoom lens hood (I own a DA 18-55mm hood before)

The Bayonet fitting fit perfectly both front and reverse mount. The mount is highly secure without any wobbly

4808266295_c4e4eb0919.jpg
4808270831_d82e0c7457.jpg

Finally the price. It cost SGD18 from artwork (not sure if others mass sale advertiser is bringing in or not) however stock are very limited as artwork only brought in 5pcs for this shipment and we (brianskivvy/kengoh/detritus and me) already took 4pcs. However I believe anyone interested can always order from him and he will sure bring in again in the next shipment
Btw , there is also a 50-200mm 52mm Version and I also bought 1 for my friend . Quality , design and material total the same except it’s for the DA/DAL 50-200mm lens.
Hope you guys like my mini review and for guys who had bought this hood, hope you all enjoy using it too . Cheer

Last edited:
Thanks to Simon for the lobang & recommending me for this hood.
It'll be a good replacement for my current lousy pental hood. :thumbsup:

damn i bought that stupid petal hood 1 day before knowing the existence of this MO
glad u guys enjoy the new lenshood!

Nice review Simon.

Actually Manly has exactly the same hoods already, for all three DAL lenses: 18-55, 50-200, and 55-300. They look and works quite similar to the original ones, but the prices are much cheaper. You guys might wanna check it out there if you are looking for a hood for your DAL lenses :) Of course they work just fine on DA lenses too (if you lost yours or need a spare one).

Last edited:
Nice review Simon.

Actually Manly has exactly the same hoods already, for all three DAL lenses: 18-55, 50-200, and 55-300. They look and works quite similar to the original ones, but the prices are much cheaper. You guys might wanna check it out there if you are looking for a hood for your DAL lenses :) Of course they work just fine on DA lenses too (if you lost yours or need a spare one).

:bsmilie: darn... i knew i should've gone to visit Mr Quek to chit chat...

oh well... in any case, thanks Simon for taking the initiative on this. easier to meet you at admiralty than to meet Quek at chinatown :sweatsm:

Nice review Simon.

Think they must have it recently. :think:
Last time I checked with them they only have the rubber type.

er, mind sharing the price @ Manly?

They look and works quite similar to the original ones, but the prices are much cheaper.

I think FW is saying that it's much cheaper compare to the original ba . I rem manly selling screw on hood for ard $18 already.

If it costs $18 at artwork, and FW said it is cheaper; why ask the price. Just go
lol, i'm from jb and going all the way down just to check out the price isnt exactly as simple as u think..
i guess "helpful pentaxian" doesnt apply to all.. hahhahaa

lol, i'm from jb and going all the way down just to check out the price isnt exactly as simple as u think..

Cool down bro .

If you want , maybe I help U to drop Manly a call to check on the price for u ?

Regards
Simon

er, mind sharing the price @ Manly?

Sorry I didn't ask the price, but I'm sure they can match the price from artwork :)

And if they ask for more, just tell them some guys from clubsnap bought the hood for $18, you won't pay any cent more...

Hmmm, I think the Helpful Pentaxian shouldnt be applied like that to people whom doesnt know u from JB. Even I dun even know. :rolleyes:

Anyways, if u can actually called manly then its no problem. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: for the review.
Tried the hood yesterday and boy am I glad that the the wonderful DAL55-300 and the hood is a match made in heaven.

Really "shiok" to finally found this hood after a long search for it. Thanks Simon for checking it out with artworkfoto.

Now what should I do with the rubber plunger hood :think::think: "Toilet cleaning time!"

Sorry but where is this manly shop?
i got the dual lens kit 18-55 & 55-300. have to buy separately or one size fit all?

Last edited:
Wah... i also just ask my friend to order for me from the "china-ebay"...
go there see have clone which cost RMB50+ only but too cheap don't dare to order...
then my friend order the RMB128 one for me...
which mean will cost me about S$28...

$18 good buy... and this 3rd party brand ok one....

Manly: 26 Temple Street in Chinatown, Tel: 63254868

You need to buy them separately.

Thanks, both the 18-55 and the 55-300 lens are 58mm? Only the hood is different length? Am i correct?

i called them up, they say their store at trengganu street closes at 9. any idea where is it?

Thanks, both the 18-55 and the 55-300 lens are 58mm? Only the hood is different length? Am i correct?

i called them up, they say their store at trengganu street closes at 9. any idea where is it?

Nope .

18-55mm is 52mm while 55-300 is 58mm

The hood shape also different

However 18-55 and 50-200mm did share the same mount , but of cos the shape still different :)