A Qn on Cropping

ErikaT

May 27, 2011
hi all

i have used photo shop to crop some of the photos, and to my surprise, the size of the photo dropped alot. Will it affect the quality when i do printing??

a 7mb file (3268 x 4928) cropped in to 5r printing size; file size become 800KB

thx

The size drops because you are basically removing pixels from the original photo. Whether it will affect print depends on how much you crop and how big a print you want.

oic then i will be carefree for printing it on a 5r size with your quick reply

hi all

i have used photo shop to crop some of the photos, and to my surprise, the size of the photo dropped alot. Will it affect the quality when i do printing??

thx
a 5R print is 2100x1500, the file size can be anywhere below 1MB to 2-3MB, depends on what is inside the photo, if it is plain color and no complex details, the file size can be very small.

if you crop your original file into 3268x4575, and another file is 2100x1500, both files are in ratio of 5R, it will not have much quality different, you can do a test print to try it out.

hi all

thx

Maybe you cropped and then did some additional JPG compression when you re-saved the file, thus causing the file size to reduce further.

When you refer to 5R printing size, does it indicate the number of pixels left for the file ? Which application did you use to save file in 5R dimension ? Dimension is not equivalent to size of the image. You have to put in the density of the image to get the total number of pixels required.

Next is when you save the file, assuming JPEG, did you get to choose the quality you save ? JPEG can be either lossy or lossless compression depending on the settings used. The actual colours and tones arrangement of the photo will also contribute to different file sizes, but it be quite unlikely to drop from 7MB to 800KB without drastic change to the original image should the size retain. If the size is changed, then it is most likely the case.

hi all

thx

hi all

thx

Check the Image Size in Photoshop. It will give you the gauge on the maximum print size without compromising the quality. Ideally for print, the resolution should be at least 300 dpi (or pixel per inch). In Photoshop, there are Pixel Dimensions and Document Size. There is a correlation between the two and the Resolution.

Uncheck Resample Image and change the Resolution to 300. Check the Document Size. If it is at least 5 inches by 7 inches, then it is good for print. Otherwise, you can check Resample Image and select Bicubic Smoother. Set the Resolution to 300 and Change the Document Size to the desired dimensions. However, I cannot guarantee that the printout will be sharp.