A Promising Innovation for Canon Users

raydio

Jun 25, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Sigma_USB_Dock_PK_135KB.jpg

Canon users who own Sigma lenses will benefit from this innovative product. Called the USB Dock and supported by special software called 'Sigma Optimization Pro', Sigma's latest lenses can have their firmware updated and focus issues adjusted. Using the special USB Dock, the user will be able to connect the lens to their PC and using easy-to-operate on-screen controls, fine-tune focus and adjust other parameters to suit their personal preferences.

Is this only for the new lenses? Can it be used on the not so old lenses?

From what I've read this product applies only to Sigma's latest release lenses ie. 35mm f/1.4, etc.

Here is some more information I've found:

"Today David Kilpatrick at Photo Club Alpha, explains things a little better and I find myself pretty excited about the future of Sigma optics in general and Alpha mount lenses in particular.I'm especially excited about the USB Dock that will allow the new lenses to not only be "re-chipped" to work with new cameras, but will allow a lens owner to customize the lens to optimize such things as focus speed, accuracy, the focus limits, and the front or back focus or of every lens at every zoom length and focus distance. Wow!
[url]http://www.photoclubalpha.com/2012/09/24/sigmas-system-revolution/ [/URL]
The system isn't perfect as it will only work with the brand new lenses, and the software might not be Mac compatible. Perhaps in the future, lens distortion corrections could be loaded into the lenses that would work when we shoot in RAW. Whatever can be done now or in the future though, the bar has been raised and Tamron, Sony, CZ, and Tokina can't be too far behind."