SMC

Mar 5, 2002
Hougang
community.webshots.com
What will be your reaction?

text.jpg

any kind soul to translate please?

any kind soul to translate please?

Ok, long story short. There is an event at a community center and the MC is encouraging the kids in the audience to study hard.

Then when he saw a photographer below the stage taking photos, he points to him and proceeds to tell the kids to study hard if not they will become like him taking photos :sweat:

Ok, long story short. There is an event at a community center and the MC is encouraging the kids in the audience to study hard.

Then when he saw a photographer below the stage taking photos, he points to him and proceeds to tell the kids to study hard if not they will become like him taking photos :sweat:

And to sum it all up, in the eyes of the MC, a photographer is a low life job. :dunno:

The worst thing that one can do is to react instantly and walk up on stage and question the MC.
We should reponse, not react.

Responding is different. Responding requires a cool, calm, deliberately structured and logical counter-argument that points out the error in the MC's comment. And in addition, let it be known to the public in a diplomatic way that I feel that the MC is wrong. In general, public members after reading a Response, would agree with the respondent, if his reasoning is sound.
Reacting, however, is simply a hot-headed huff and puff directed to the offending party (perceived to be offending by the offended person) with hardly any thinking. It serves only to create more problem. Never solve anything.

I will continue to do my job as a photographer for the event. Finish it off. Deliver my product professionally. Followed by an official letter to the organisation involved, cc to any higher authorities ONLY if there is no attempt to rectify the mistake.

And to sum it all up, in the eyes of the MC, a photographer is a low life job. :dunno:

The photographer felt very insulted by the MC's remarks but was professional enough not to confront him.

When he went over to the organiser's assistant to protest over the insulting remark, the assistant brush the issue off and asked him instead when the photos will be ready.

Really win liao.

It's probably nothing... the MC and Photographer could have come from same event managment company and he is probably poking fun at his friend. Quite possibly right?

../azul123

For all the Emcee might know, the photographer might be earning more than him... He should use himself as an example....

"you kids must study hard.. if not next time will become like me... Emcee-ing here..." :D

It's probably nothing... the MC and Photographer could have come from same event managment company and he is probably poking fun at his friend. Quite possibly right?

../azul123

not from same company. first time working together. it was the photographer who made the complaint.

The photographer felt very insulted by the MC's remarks but was professional enough not to confront him.

When he went over to the organiser's assistant to protest over the insulting remark, the assistant brush the issue off and asked him instead when the photos will be ready.

Really win liao.
oic, in that case it was indeed quite insulting.

../azul123

The MC himself has set a very bad example for the children. What moral (or immoral) values can we derive from him?

a. looking down on others
b. public slander
c. inconsiderate behavior
d. etc.

Thumbs up to the photographer for keeping his cool though.

../azul123

If they are from the same events company, the photographer wouldnt have launched a complain to the CC.. and moreover, the article mentioned that the Emcee actually apologised to the photographer...

Really insulting, not only to the photographer who had covered the event, but also to the whole lot here. :angry:

A lot of Singaporeans still thought photographers, or worse, they called camera man, are a lowly profession. :cry:

This insulting cases do happen. I was kanna insulted by some customers before. But still have to finish my job as promised. Sad cases but what to do.

That's why I downgraded to hobbist. :bsmilie:

Is being a MC in a children's event at a CC considered very successful?? :dunno:

Depending on how individuals define 'success'; taxi-drivers can be successful too. Though I suspect the emcee got an issue with expressing his thoughts and ran out of examples. We must all learn to repect the occupation of individuals even if we can't agree or the profession as to speak contradicts our moral value systems such as protitutes and full-time XMM shooters. :)

aiya, who the hell cares................

professional photographers can have good qualifications also, so what?

professional photographers can earn more money than people with good qualifications, so what?

is that important? is what others think of your profession that important? i don't think so. pride is given by yourself, not given by others.

the moment you start insulting an mc job.. then you are no better than the mc. do we need to sink to his level as hobbyists, or as professional photographers? i don't think so.

In my point of view, if you like your job, especially if it involves your interest, and you can make a comfortable living out of it, then you are successful.

A degree or even a Phd does not guarantee success.

if i'm the photographer, i'd go up on stage and tell the kids, "better study hard. if not, you'll become like this uncle standing on stage and telling you to study hard. you know why? because he probably screwed up in school and now he is telling you not to make the same mistake like he did."

Really insulting, not only to the photographer who had covered the event, but also to the whole lot here. :angry:

A lot of Singaporeans still thought photographers, or worse, they called camera man, are a lowly profession. :cry:

this i agree wholeheartedly, kids are being taught that photographers are low jobs, they see parents call them "camera man" all the time, its like call here take this photo, take that photo. They learn these as "the right way" to treat people.

Mentality has to change, but photographers do allow themselves to degrade, allowing themselves to pander to clients every needs, apologizing for everything even if it's not the photographer's fault.

In an actual work (non-photography) environment, would someone with photography knowledge volunteering/be willing to be called around "cameraman", every little thing need photo, call the "cameraman". For me, if i had that skill, i wouldn't be wanting to offer my skill, to be looked down on and ordered around for free. I won't wanna let my colleagues know i can take photos. Sorry im ranting. -_-

Its a vicious cycle, don't think can be stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.