A news article on Sin Min last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the Emcee might know, the photographer might be earning more than him... He should use himself as an example....

"you kids must study hard.. if not next time will become like me... Emcee-ing here..." :D

if u read the middle paragraph, the CC Chairman claimed that the MC said that exact sentence in malay language. :dunno:

only when the mc made the comment in english did he refer to the photog. :confused:

This insulting cases do happen. I was kanna insulted by some customers before. But still have to finish my job as promised. Sad cases but what to do.

That's why I downgraded to hobbist. :bsmilie:

y they anyhow insult u? :think:

if u read the middle paragraph, the CC Chairman claimed that the MC said that exact sentence in malay language. :dunno:

only when the mc made the comment in english did he refer to the photog. :confused:

Many won't know because the article is in Chinese and not all members can read Chinese. There may be other inferences or implications in it but only the Chinese literate would have privy to it.

What's really disturbing was the organizer's response to the photographer's bringing the matter up. I don't think the PA should support such values and condone such public behavior as it may encourage discrimination and devalue the worth of an honest occupation in the eyes of our future generation. All the more so if it was a CC event.

Someone should write in to the head of the PA.

Last edited:
What's really disturbing was the organizer's response to the photographer's bringing the matter up. I don't think the PA should support such values and condone such public behavior as it may encourage discrimination and devalue the worth of an honest occupation in the eyes of our future generation. All the more so if it was a CC event.

Someone should write in to the head of the PA.

i find the general reaction here a bit amusing, it is probably mainly because this is a photographers' community.

if you had pride in the job, you won't give a rat's ass what others thought of the job, said of it. showing that it is something you love, that is far more important than what some random person says to kids.

let's be objective here, one statement in a kid's life, especially during an emcee session where most kids are likely to be half comatose.. it isn't going to suddenly demonise photographers, or photography as a job or career.

what is going to demonise that? bad behaviour of photographers in public. challenging people rudely when they're trying to do their job. taking blatant photos of zao gengs. taking blatant photos of girls in the street stalker style. talking openly about girls like they're objects.

i find the general reaction here a bit amusing, it is probably mainly because this is a photographers' community.

if you had pride in the job, you won't give a rat's ass what others thought of the job, said of it. showing that it is something you love, that is far more important than what some random person says to kids.

let's be objective here, one statement in a kid's life, especially during an emcee session where most kids are likely to be half comatose.. it isn't going to suddenly demonise photographers, or photography as a job or career.

what is going to demonise that? bad behaviour of photographers in public. challenging people rudely when they're trying to do their job. taking blatant photos of zao gengs. taking blatant photos of girls in the street stalker style. talking openly about girls like they're objects.

So your take is it should be allowed, or encouraged?

So your take is it should be allowed, or encouraged?

i think it doesn't matter to me. to me, the ones who look down on photographers will look down on photographers, the ones who don't won't. regardless of whether some random dude somewhere tells a bunch of kids. this includes the kids that this is told to.

i guess you could reprimand the mc for being insensitive, that's about it. there is no need to turn this into something much bigger than it is.

how many people tell their kids, "better study hard, otherwise become roadsweeper"

are you going to allow or encourage that?

this i agree wholeheartedly, kids are being taught that photographers are low jobs, they see parents call them "camera man" all the time, its like call here take this photo, take that photo. They learn these as "the right way" to treat people.

Some parents label hawkers as low job too, but look at those big cars that some hawkers are driving...

bad behaviour of photographers in public. challenging people rudely when they're trying to do their job. taking blatant photos of zao gengs. taking blatant photos of girls in the street stalker style. talking openly about girls like they're objects.

May be next time the MC will label photographers as Tiko too, just look at the type of discussion in the forum whenever there are photos from PC show or car shows

Last edited:
The question here is....What is a photographer?

In today's context, anyone with a DSLR is considered a photographer. To the really the ignorant, as long as you are carrying a DSLR, they think that you are "pro". We all know this issue with regard to ignorant security people at certain events who try to stop people from taking photos with DSLR.

But WE know, that person carrying DSLR, is 80-90% of the time amateurs or hobbyists nowadays. They are not professional. Even if we call it professional, how do you define professional photographer? Someone who gets paid to do a job? Is that alone to be considered a professional photographer? Or how about someone who has a photographic company? Or owns a photographic studio? Is that a criteria to be called a professional photographer? Or, earns his living as a photographer? As far as I know, there is no official definition but many well accepted ones as listed above. U can know nothing about photography, but as long as you own and use a DSLR, anyone can slink by with being called a photographer, and if u manage to get a paid job, hey...pro photographer. But does that mean that if someone who has been paid to do a shoot is necessarily a good or competent photographer?

Perhaps one way to really elevate the status of photographer instead of just GWC or Guy With Camera, is to have some kind of licensing or examination. In that way, at least when someone is called a photographer, we know he understands things about aperture, shutter speed, lighting, and how to use a DSLR or camera effectively. Everyone else should basically be Guy or Gal with Camera. At least, when finally we are called photographers, in a way, it has been earned and people with these titles should have been known to have achieved a certain minimum standard and knowledge in photography.

But whatever the case, photography is not really one of those things that is do or die situation. No building is gonna collapse, no people are going to die, so really, this is all just plain musings unless enough people feel strongly enough about it.

But in a way, the emcee is not exactly wrong. In Singapore, dun study also can become photographer. So long got DSLR, can already. Maybe it was not meant to be insulting. But of course, we also know, if the photographer markets himself or herself well, monthly income of 4-5 figures are common. Afterall local wedding shoot already around 1-2 K, overseas shoot (which are more and more common now), average 8k for 2 days??!! So why you care what people call you as long as u are making the money.

the moment you start insulting an mc job.. then you are no better than the mc. do we need to sink to his level as hobbyists, or as professional photographers? i don't think so.

Come already come already, trademark statement appear liao :bsmilie:

Come already come already, trademark statement appear liao :bsmilie:

i seem to have one x personal troll at a time.. :bsmilie:

well the good part is, most of these personal trolls tend to vanish after a while.... :bsmilie:

well the good part is, most of these personal trolls tend to vanish after a while.... :bsmilie:

If you keep making the same kind of statement, you will get the same kind of response. Simple :D

i think it doesn't matter to me. to me, the ones who look down on photographers will look down on photographers, the ones who don't won't. regardless of whether some random dude somewhere tells a bunch of kids. this includes the kids that this is told to.

i guess you could reprimand the mc for being insensitive, that's about it. there is no need to turn this into something much bigger than it is.

how many people tell their kids, "better study hard, otherwise become roadsweeper"

are you going to allow or encourage that?

I didn't think it would matter to you at all.

But I'm afraid I stand by my belief that looking down on a person via his or her profession should not be encouraged, anytime in life, but especially at a public and PA organized event where a totally boh-chap response by the organizer was evident.

You may brush it off as nothing, and use extraneous examples of GWCs to confuse the argument (and which to me, has absolutely nothing to do with the profession of photography), as well as to exonerate the MC's actions and stance, but if you've been around people at ground level enough, you'll know that an amazing number of normal people take such displays as truths or reinforcement (of a belief or preference).

All the more so when they can say "Look, even the Government say one!" viz a viz the endorsement of such discrimination by the PA's non-response.

Let one slide, another goes by, another goes by, in no time a hundred pass through ...

What you wrote is easier said then done. Then I can also say that if you have pride in your job, you will not allow others to insult your profession.
You might disagree my statement, but I'm sure there are others that will agree with me.

We're are humans, not Saints. It's human nature to be affected by what others say about you, nothing wrong with that, nothing amusing too.

If you keep making the same kind of statement, you will get the same kind of response. Simple :D

are the two of you in LOVE?

kiss kiss?

Last edited:
Let one slide, another goes by, another goes by, in no time a hundred pass through ...
so are you going to answer my last question? :)

i didn't raise gwc point to exonerate anyone. just pointing out that there are far more effective ways to throw bad light on photographers.. :)

and there are bad sheep in any crowd. you can think that there's nothing, i can tell you that that's not true!

What you wrote is easier said then done. Then I can also say that if you have pride in your job, you will not allow others to insult your profession.

ok, so what are you going to do about the person who insults your profession?

the thing is, if he was just another member of the public, e.g. an 80 year old ah kong that isn't working anymore.. making a comment, are you going to be able to do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.