a 'good' tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.
the plate is long, and you can slide in and out till it balances

Actually... I thought that all tripod feet for the lenses are set in the middle point of the balance area?? This allows the centre of gravity to sit nicely on all tripods.

Isn't it??

Actually... I thought that all tripod feet for the lenses are set in the middle point of the balance area?? This allows the centre of gravity to sit nicely on all tripods.

Isn't it??
depends on how heavy the body is too :p

not all lenses have the tripod mount exactly at the unmounted CG at least.. so it becomes complicated :D

shop upstairs is what shop ah?
i have a gitzo and manfrotto 190b.gitzo i cant remember model.but it aint light.and it's carbon.
ya.the head matters.and i always have problems looking for a good head.too many out there.

K-13 marketing, its #02-16/17 Peninsula Plaza. They sold the basalt at least S$100 cheaper that C*thay. I never buy from C*thay. The Gitzo carbon fibre is much lighter than Manfrotto's "carbon fibre". Even the Gitzo basalt is lighter than Manfrotto's carbon fiber. Your head will weigh more.

I'd go with a Markins Q3 ballhead - lightweight (only 385g!) and sturdy.
For legs, I'd go with either a Gitzo Traveller GT1550T (light!, and folds up very compact - 35cm) but max. load is only 2Kg or a for something a little bit larger and can support heavier loads, the Gitzo Mountaineer GT1540. Head and legs can be gotten from TK Photo.

I'd go with a Markins Q3 ballhead - lightweight (only 385g!) and sturdy.
For legs, I'd go with either a Gitzo Traveller GT1550T (light!, and folds up very compact - 35cm) but max. load is only 2Kg or a for something a little bit larger and can support heavier loads, the Gitzo Mountaineer GT1540. Head and legs can be gotten from TK Photo.

One more for the Markins Q3.. I love my Q3!!!! :lovegrin:

I was searching for a really small ballhead that didn't slip, that could hold large lenses like the 100-400 (shown in the Acratech pic).. yes I am a Canon user. And hold a 1D on the back.

I put my Q3 on a Gitzo 1530, which is a 3-section tripod but longer than the 1540 as a result. Too long to pack in my luggage so kena 'special handling' the last time I flew.

For tripod, nothings comes close to Gitzo. Others may imitate but after buying so many tripods, I finally gets my Gitzo G-lock 6x GT3530LSV at about SGD1100.

I will not trust my gears on the acratech "gimbal". Too risky. The CG is totaly out of the tripod center. Any slight knock or strong wind.... thats it.

hi jeanie

you like the titanium one?
then get the gitzo travaller + markin Q3 head. the best of both world.
i am looking at this setup.
i am sure it can take the weight.
everything around 1K both worth it in my point of view

just went to search for a look of the markins q3.

imho, doesnt look as good as the RRS.

:dunno:

ya...aesthetic does matter to me k?:bsmilie:

Why the Markins series are also very pretty wat ;(
M10 and M20 also very nice

i need recommendation for a 'good' tripod.

definition of good

1)light
2)not bulky, mostly for travel purpose
3)a good head that very sturdy.best, able to take the weight of D3 in portrait position
4)longest lens that will be used with it will be the 70-200 afs vr.

please recommend.TIA

PS:no 'cheapo' ones please.:embrass:

Owned the Manfrotto 190B for nearly 10 years and thought it was heavy so I said maybe its time for a change.

It is Gitzo if you want me to choose. I shall not go into details on the technical specs (weight, pay load etc) but a good and light tripod which is easy to use is worth the money in the long run. Things like these are hard to justify but if you are willing to part the money, I would say go for it.

I needed something light so the carbon fibre would certainly be a choice. It is now really for you to see how the design and function of the tripod and head fits your needs.

My philosohy is, buy the best (it must suit you and not necessary most expensive) you can comfortably afford and you can forget about the rest and focus on your shooting instead.

:)

PC-CG.jpg

seriously, i can imagine myself carrying that case together with my LV for travelling.
just look at that casing and the titanium color....wah piang ehzzzz!:heart:
damn you for poisoning me.:sticktong

jeanie,

Perhaps you should try it and see if you really like it. You might just change your mind after playing with it for a while.

Cheers,

Got any inspirations on which one to buy yet?

Or have you ordered 'IT' already? ;)

try GT0540, max height 142cm..10cm higher than the 0530 one...weights only 780grams and folds to 48cm.(GT0530 folds to about 53cm)

Add it with a kangrinpoche NB-3a..total weight 1.13KG..its light..tripod can take 5kg..

if you want light..with a reasonable height(if you are around 1.7m), this is a good choice..

In my opinion, benro angel series, it folds down to a very short height, but it has like 5 sections..haha...

Got any inspirations on which one to buy yet?

Or have you ordered 'IT' already? ;)

havent decide.am taking my own sweet time to see which is best.
sigh...too many choices...so many similarities...
but i kind of like reallyrightstuff.
may end up getting Lplate and ball head from them...but for tripod...i really dunno....:embrass:
i'll prob stick to gitZo....but NOT the titanium one...
siao meh?3.8k for 3 legs....
XIAO XIAO XIAO XIAO XIAO

may end up getting Lplate and ball head from them...but for tripod...i really dunno....:embrass:
XIAO XIAO XIAO XIAO XIAO

Well, honestly... If I have the cash, I'd get one. :bsmilie:

Careful if you go for the RRS ballhead and you get the one with the lever clamp - they will only work with RRS plates and Wimberley - they won't work with Arca-Swiss, Acratech, Markins, Kirk plates (which is silly since Arca-Swiss set the standard). You have to go with the screw-knob clamp.

Also the RRS L-plate for the Nikon bodies doesn't give enough spacing on the side and blocks cable access for when you are shooting in portrait orientation - which means you can't stick in the cables to shoot tethered.

Careful if you go for the RRS ballhead and you get the one with the lever clamp - they will only work with RRS plates and Wimberley - they won't work with Arca-Swiss, Acratech, Markins, Kirk plates (which is silly since Arca-Swiss set the standard). You have to go with the screw-knob clamp.

Also the RRS L-plate for the Nikon bodies doesn't give enough spacing on the side and blocks cable access for when you are shooting in portrait orientation - which means you can't stick in the cables to shoot tethered.

goose, i dont understand your first para.sigh...i was looking through the website and seriously, i've no idea exactly WHAT i'm suppose to get.
can someone help?

as for the L-plate, apparently, they fixed the problem already because in their website, they showed that the plate can be shifted to accomodate the cables..i dont think they mention it but i think that's why they designed the plate to be 'movable'.:dunno:

XIAO XIAO XIAO XIAO XIAO

IMO, u should stick to either one of these 3 Gitzo models GT0540, GT1540 or GT2540. And remove the center column for less weight and maximum stability.:thumbsup:

goose, i dont understand your first para.sigh...i was looking through the website and seriously, i've no idea exactly WHAT i'm suppose to get.
can someone help?

as for the L-plate, apparently, they fixed the problem already because in their website, they showed that the plate can be shifted to accomodate the cables..i dont think they mention it but i think that's why they designed the plate to be 'movable'.:dunno:

I believe he was trying to mention the difference between these 2.

B2Pro-sm.gif

B2LR2-sm.gif

The one on the top should be what you're looking for to get maximum compatibility with other plates.

Note from RRS on the second one, the lever clamp :

NOTE ABOUT LEVER-RELEASE CLAMPS: Due to wide variations in other brands of Arca-Swiss compatible plates, we recommend using our lever-release clamps only with Really Right Stuff or Wimberley brand quick-release plates. To ensure compatibility with our lever-release clamps, we do offer a plate trade-in discount. If you already own Arca-style plates from other manufacturers (Kirk, Foba, Markins, AcraTech, Novoflex, or Arca-Swiss), we offer a $22.50 exchange discount towards purchase of a Really Right Stuff quick-release plate. Plate exchange only for identical model; you must send us your plate in advance to qualify for this discount.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.