A Bali sojourn

Status
Not open for further replies.

chenws

Mar 20, 2007
These are images from my short stay there, purely for photography reasons. I love Bali. People are friendly, not photo shy and prices are reasonable if you stay off the tourist areas.

The photographs are posted here at random. I'll try to name the places as I remembered but I may be wrong, so please do correct me if you see any.

Equipment: Canon EOS5D, Lenses: EF16-35f2.8L-I, EF24-70f2.8L, EF70-200f2.8L, Sigma 12-24, Extender 1.4x. Filters: B+W CPL, Cokin GND4, GND8. Tripod: Manfrotto 190proB, Kangrinpoche NB2-A. Speedlite 580EX-I.

#1 Balinese teenagers waiting for their turn for prayers at the Purnama (full moon) ceremony at Tirta Empul Tapaksiring in the Kabupaten Gianyar Province.
IMG_3155.jpg

#2 Portrait of a Balinese warrior at this ceremony.
IMG_3557.jpg

#3 Devotees at the cleansing ritual before the prayers at this temple.
IMG_3229.jpg

:heart: Bali

Cont'd; still at this fine temple for the purnama ceremony.

#4 Young Balinese dancers performing at this temple. This is all part of the prayer ceremony and not a dance show for tourist.
IMG_3359.jpg

#5 Balinese warriors in their fine traditional costumes
IMG_3566a.jpg

#6 Man and grandson waiting and resting in the temple grounds
IMG_3569.jpg

#7 Priests and village elders praying
IMG_3243.jpg

:heart: Bali

Very nice but I think you might have overdone it with the watermarking.

Very nice but I think you might have overdone it with the watermarking.

Apologies for that, but in the past my photographs had been used for even publication. I sell my images to microstock agencies but I know which ones are sold and which ones are downloaded off (stolen) from my website. I tried to make it as light as possible, but then, still may have been too obvious. Sorry for that.

nice colours of bali, they really stand out against the dark background. Anyway, how do u know where are your photos used after being bought on the microstock sites? Any tips on how to find them

nice colours of bali, they really stand out against the dark background. Anyway, how do u know where are your photos used after being bought on the microstock sites? Any tips on how to find them

No idea really, just by chance to see them in adverts in magazines. No way of checking too. No buyers ever contacted me. Only net-users email me for permission for free use if see them from my web-site (which I usually let them use for non-commercial reasons with credit to photographer mentioned). :)

No idea really, just by chance to see them in adverts in magazines. No way of checking too. No buyers ever contacted me. Only net-users email me for permission for free use if see them from my web-site (which I usually let them use for non-commercial reasons with credit to photographer mentioned). :)

was any action levied on these lawbreakers?

C0CK-FIGHTING in Ubud

I was told that this is illegal in Bali. But villagers still carry on this old tradition. Betting is amongst themselves. You may not be able to get the events listing from your tour agency, but local people will know when the next one will be held. So, do ask your driver to ask around.

This one I chanced upon while on the road. Very lucky.

#8 Preparing the fighter
IMG_1664.jpg

#9 Introducing the cockerels
IMG_1680.jpg

#10 Priming the fighters
IMG_1766.jpg

#11 The fight
IMG_1701.jpg

#12 Injured fighter is destined to the cooking pot; it doesn't matter if it wins or loses
IMG_1710.jpg

WOW !!!
Some of the best photos I've seen in recent times. :thumbsup:
All the photos from #1 to #7 are truly classic, with #6 probably the best in my humble opinion.

I cant stand the cockerels fight though :cry:

A really lovely series of photos. Love them all.

nice color... :thumbsup:

Thanks for the replies.
Yes, #6 is kinda special. It's tells me that this tradition will be passed on to the future generations.

I want to show some beautiful Balinese children here.

#13 Best friends. Location : Pura Manik Titra
IMG_2762.jpg

#14 Balinese girl at into her courtyard preparing to perform morning prayers. I was there at full moon, (purnama) and in Ubud children and adults put on their traditional wear on this day, incl. going to school and work.
IMG_3941a.jpg

#15 Balinese young teenager poses for me while waiting for his parents praying at a 'upacara' in a nearby temple. Location : Kuta
IMG_6263a.jpg

#16 "I've got a confession ... "
IMG_3329.jpg

#17 This is sisterly love ... just beautiful.
IMG_5656.jpg

C0CK-FIGHTING in Ubud

I was told that this is illegal in Bali. But villagers still carry on this old tradition. Betting is amongst themselves. You may not be able to get the events listing from your tour agency, but local people will know when the next one will be held. So, do ask your driver to ask around.

This one I chanced upon while on the road. Very lucky.

#8 Preparing the fighter
IMG_1664.jpg

#9 Introducing the cockerels
IMG_1680.jpg

#10 Priming the fighters
IMG_1766.jpg

#11 The fight
IMG_1701.jpg

#12 Injured fighter is destined to the cooking pot; it doesn't matter if it wins or loses
IMG_1710.jpg

very good rooster fight series. i did a few in tenganan and posted one, but i know it is a failure due to poor vantage.

your #11 is the best. most of them looks like they are posing for you. however it looks like you are not wide enough or far enough. the bottom got crop off and that is where the real game is.

very good rooster fight series. i did a few in tenganan and posted one, but i know it is a failure due to poor vantage.

your #11 is the best. most of them looks like they are posing for you. however it looks like you are not wide enough or far enough. the bottom got crop off and that is where the real game is.

I wish for that wide shot too. But it's not that easy, I was shooting over their heads. Just estimate and shoot. My 5D has no 'live-view'. If I open my lens too wide, I'll get too many heads in the foreground. It's a trade-off. I was using my 24-70mm for a while, and I was getting nowhere near the fight in the excited crowd. Then I switched to the 70-200mm and did some tight portraits. It's not easy to barge into them, being a stranger to them, and with a big camera in hand, and a huge bag on my back. The trick is to arrive early, that I didn't. You are a frequent traveler, any tips? :)

I wish for that wide shot too. But it's not that easy, I was shooting over their heads. Just estimate and shoot. My 5D has no 'live-view'. If I open my lens too wide, I'll get too many heads in the foreground. It's a trade-off. I was using my 24-70mm for a while, and I was getting nowhere near the fight in the excited crowd. Then I switched to the 70-200mm and did some tight portraits. It's not easy to barge into them, being a stranger to them, and with a big camera in hand, and a huge bag on my back. The trick is to arrive early, that I didn't. You are a frequent traveler, any tips? :)

no tips. like i say, i didn't get a good vantage (worse than you).

but maybe if you can cakap melayu, maybe can get a better place. and in order to get there early enough to get good place, you need to spend considerably more time and eventually still get pushed out (unless you bet too).

zigview viewer is a possibility if you want to do overhead shot. but it is real expensive - even the old lousy model cost S$400+ while newer models cost more.

no tips. like i say, i didn't get a good vantage (worse than you).

but maybe if you can cakap melayu, maybe can get a better place. and in order to get there early enough to get good place, you need to spend considerably more time and eventually still get pushed out (unless you bet too).

zigview viewer is a possibility if you want to do overhead shot. but it is real expensive - even the old lousy model cost S$400+ while newer models cost more.

Yes, I can cakap melayu with Indonesia slang too, but most of them speak Javanese to each other there. My driver managed to get into the crowd, and very proudly show off 50,000RP he won.

I've got the EOS40D with live view, but I took the 5D to Bali because I preferred the 5D for image quality. Will try out the 40D in Vietnam at the end of the month, one camera one lens Sigma 18-200mmOS !. Too tired of carrying around 10kg gear on my back!

Yes, I can cakap melayu with Indonesia slang too, but most of them speak Javanese to each other there. My driver managed to get into the crowd, and very proudly show off 50,000RP he won.

I've got the EOS40D with live view, but I took the 5D to Bali because I preferred the 5D for image quality. Will try out the 40D in Vietnam at the end of the month, one camera one lens Sigma 18-200mmOS !. Too tired of carrying around 10kg gear on my back!

10kg? what's your gear (active on the back) like?

Status
Not open for further replies.