8GB Compact Flash Photo Harddrive with D70s

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechplas

May 31, 2005
Sengkang
www.rcuniverse.com
http://www.rc-ms.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=463.0;id=3035;image
Anyone using this card 8GB Compact Flash Photo Hard Drive by Seagate with their Nikon D70s? :)

I tried it a couple of times on my D70s and I realised the Lexar 1GB is much faster. I guess its the size thats making it slow especially when turning on the camera. ;p

I have stopped using it and wonder if anynone has the same problem. :cry:

A very cheap solution to mass storage but not when you need the speed. It's too slow.

Please remember that it's a micro-drive. I.e. it requires power to operate and the write speed and read speed will not rival those solid state cards.

espn said:
A very cheap solution to mass storage but not when you need the speed. It's too slow.
Got to agreed! no where on earth for now, that you can't get a 8Gb MD at such a gd price to take lots and lots of pictures without changing CF cards.
give and take when you need space or the speed. :)

But you will face with one problem.

You might or might not be able to transfer the images into your mobile storage device like a company drive because of the weather or the device does not accept Compact Drives.

Now that 4GB CF cards cost less than $200, I'm not sure if it is worth getting MD any more.

agape01 said:

You might or might not be able to transfer the images into your mobile storage device like a company drive because of the weather or the device does not accept Compact Drives.

Actually it does. I tried it on a card reader too. It works, but slow. :)

agape01 said:

What has the weather gotta do with transferring images? :dunno:

jumbocrab said:
Now that 4GB CF cards cost less than $200, I'm not sure if it is worth getting MD any more.
slow CF card??
lexar 80X 2gb cost $160...
sandisk extreme III 4GB cost $4**...

Transcend 4GB 120x CF card is now $194. The 8GB version is $373.
I wouldn't exactly call a 120x card slow.

jumbocrab said:
Transcend 4GB 120x CF card is now $194. The 8GB version is $373.
I wouldn't exactly call a 120x card slow.
Till tested on the pro cameras, I won't know if it's reliable and/or fast. Burst, write/read is very important. I know it's only for the pros, but it's just as important for all too.

espn said:
Till tested on the pro cameras, I won't know if it's reliable and/or fast. Burst, write/read is very important. I know it's only for the pros, but it's just as important for all too.

Check this out:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7697

While it is not as fast as the Extreme III, it is nevertheless quite fast.

jumbocrab said:
Check this out:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-7697

While it is not as fast as the Extreme III, it is nevertheless quite fast.
Looks good, but if I may be skeptical, it will still be too slow for fast real-time usage, however, if leisure shooting, probably will be more than ok :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.