85 f1.8 or 135L?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok! so it is about the "L". In that case, I think you would prefer the 85mm focal length but would prefer the "L" in the 135mm. The only way to solve your problem is for you to save up enough to get the 85L.

My preference focal length is also 85mm on FF and my favorite portrait lens is also the 85L.

haha.. not really. I was so happy when you mentioned you replaced the 135 with the 70-200, and happy with it. It might be the solution for my tele lens issue now. haha

I don't really need the 85 L f1.2... just hobbyist only. hahha....

haha.. not really. I was so happy when you mentioned you replaced the 135 with the 70-200, and happy with it. It might be the solution for my tele lens issue now. haha

In that case, you better not try this lens out. I made a mistake and went to Canon Vivo showroom to try it out just for the heck and then 85 f/1.8 suddenly became so inferior I must have the 85L. It must be the "BBB" virus. ;p

In that case, you better not try this lens out. I made a mistake and went to Canon Vivo showroom to try it out just for the heck and then 85 f/1.8 suddenly became so inferior I must have the 85L. It must be the "BBB" virus. ;p

wah don't talk about it. I wanted to get the 50D initially. So "firmed" with the thought after days and nights searching and reading the reviews. Then when I went to test camera, ended up getting the 7D. LOL. it is always the case :bsmilie:

Just checked. WOW! that lens is 1kg. Can forget it already :bsmilie:. How come so heavy.

wah don't talk about it. I wanted to get the 50D initially. So "firmed" with the thought after days and nights searching and reading the reviews. Then when I went to test camera, ended up getting the 7D. LOL. it is always the case :bsmilie:

Just checked. WOW! that lens is 1kg. Can forget it already :bsmilie:. How come so heavy.
if you can hold up a 1.5kg 70-200 f2.8 IS and carry it around all day, 85L is nothing.

if you can hold up a 1.5kg 70-200 f2.8 IS and carry it around all day, 85L is nothing.

No. I held n shoot for 5min, then returned to my friend when my right arm start to get numb. LOL. Full set with battery grip, external flash. LOL.

ok, better not OT else the thread owner gonna get mad at us. hahahah

i have the same dilemma... so I went to vivo to test out both lenses

the following photos are definitely not representative of the capabilities of the lenses... just post here to give you a feel.

85L
IMG_0025-3.jpg

135L
IMG_0032-2.jpg

i prefer 135L for its bokeh, and the distance away from the subject is quite comfortable for me. but both lenses are 'tight' for indoor shoots, good for portraits though, which is my fave

i would suggest you try out both lenses and see for yourself before decision.

The other thing to bear in mind is that for the price of an 85L, you can get a 135L, 85 1.8 and have spare change for say a 17-55! Or get a 35L and 135L.

That why I choose a lighter body to go with my 70-200 F2.8 IS. :bsmilie:

Shooting with 85L wide open really need getting use-to, with the thin DOF maintaining sharpness is quite challenging to the PG. While shooting at 200mm F2.8 is more "forgiving". :sweat:

Shooting with 85L wide open really need getting use-to, with the thin DOF maintaining sharpness is quite challenging to the PG. While shooting at 200mm F2.8 is more "forgiving". :sweat:

agree on that, shooting 85L with the 9AF points at 1.2, when u recompose, most of the time, your focus will be off.

i'd personally recommend 135L, though, I've to admit that the 85 on FF is really a convenient length for portraiture; not too long nor too short.
135 typically would be more for half body or head+shoulders, from what i feel.. would remind me of 90mm on crop, which was what i sported in the past.

agree on that, shooting 85L with the 9AF points at 1.2, when u recompose, most of the time, your focus will be off.
Yeah, when you do a head shot about 3 feet away, not to mention focus and recompose, the mere natural swaying back and forth slightly will throw the focus off at f/1.2.

Yeah, when you do a head shot about 3 feet away, not to mention focus and recompose, the mere natural swaying back and forth slightly will throw the focus off at f/1.2.

I think that why, alot of people is using AI-SERVO & a split-screen when shooting this lens at F1.2. :bsmilie:

I tried shooting with a 35L a while back. Strangely, shots that were taken using the focus+recompose method were found to be sharper than those taken by selecting the appropriate focus points.

I think it's because the centre focusing point is the most accurate, so focus + recompose would be better?
After all, it's a 35, unless you shoot f2 and lower, recomposing wont hurt

I tried shooting with a 35L a while back. Strangely, shots that were taken using the focus+recompose method were found to be sharper than those taken by selecting the appropriate focus points.

If you were shooting with a 1 series under ideal lighting conditions, you can use auto AF point with one shot mode and you'll still get the shot.

Shooting with a 50 1.4 within 3 meters will have an adverse effect on the focus, and while 35mm might be more forgiving, it will still affect the plane of focus.

85L exhibits less vigneting and better CA compared to 135L. But 85L's price is kinda steep as compared to 135L.

But if one has large budget assignments that justify such equipment, why not 85L?
Also imho the iq that 85L + 5Dii/1dsiii can really match some MF with 18 or 22 mp digital back. And it costs only probaby s$8k (5dii) for such good iq? Quite worth it in fact. I heard of a couple of pros changing from digital MF system to canon system on recent years. Its most probably due to the higher mp that canon is offering.

got the chance to try the 85mm today. OMG... it is already too long for my camera :sweat: . I had to stand on the side to take photo in the room. zzzz. Min 4-5m away from the object to take proper foto if not want to take the head only. :p

Now I am thinking about getting the 50mm instead. hahaha....Lucky me.

got the chance to try the 85mm today. OMG... it is already too long for my camera :sweat: . I had to stand on the side to take photo in the room. zzzz. Min 4-5m away from the object to take proper foto if not want to take the head only. :p.

The 85L is a gem for a crop dslr too, had used it at both AAS'09 & outdoor & outdoor portraiture shoots. However nailing at F1.2 is really a killer. :think:

The 85L is a gem for a crop dslr too, had used it at both AAS'09 & outdoor & outdoor portraiture shoots. However nailing at F1.2 is really a killer. :think:

I think I'll settle with the 50mm f/1.4. haha.... but the 50mm f1.2 is really tempting.

85mm is really too long. I think might not have enough space to take a proper photo with that lens. really. Moreover, the 1.2L is 1kg. But then I should go to their showroom and have a feel of it. hehehe....

Indoor really no problem for these lens :). Just as sweet as outdoor :)

Last edited:

Hehehe... i had the "just hobbyist" thought before i got the 85L f1.2.

You think you will not have a use for it, but if you got the moolah, psycho yourself and get it, because it is a life-changer. Post-purchase, i have been completely poisoned and only shoot wide-open for portraiture.

Need to practice, but not extremely difficult. It's a mental barrier to a bigger hole.

Based on my personal test, the center point for most if not all (not sure about 1D3 series) cameras is the only point capable of pin-point perfect focus on f2 and larger apertures.

Using outer points would yield lesser hit rate than centre-point and recomposing.

I think I'll settle with the 50mm f/1.4. haha.... but the 50mm f1.2 is really tempting.

85mm is really too long. I think might not have enough space to take a proper photo with that lens. really. Moreover, the 1.2L is 1kg. But then I should go to their showroom and have a feel of it. hehehe....

Indoor really no problem for these lens :). Just as sweet as outdoor :)

The guide to getting poisoned by the 85 f1.2L for your case;

1. Try the 50 f1.2L - get disappointed. It's a princess in focus accuracy, and strangely enough, in broad daylight it's bad, if you can live with this, on APS-C it is very similar to using 85L with smaller apertures on a full-frame.

2. Try the 85 f1.2 on cropfactor - preliminary impressed by colours and contrast, not so happy cos tight; start dreaming.

3. Try the 85 f1.8 on crop factor - get disappointed by the tightness, and weaker colours.

4. Try the 85 f1.8 on full frame - get impressed and perhaps poisoned to full frame.

5. Buy a 5D1 or maybe any other FF.

6. Itchy fingers go try a 85 f1.2L again on your 5D1. Complete and final lethal poisoning.

7. BBB. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.