828 Close-Up Lens VCL-3358

Status
Not open for further replies.
actually there is another forum just for sony camera & dv... but i think i shouldn't disclose here... besides... i dun post there too... its foreign btw... american i think...

so we are 3 only... i am able to get it anytime u guys are free... just have to let me know the best available time...

so we proceed with ordering?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
actually there is another forum just for sony camera & dv... but i think i shouldn't disclose here... besides... i dun post there too... its foreign btw... american i think...
so we are 3 only... i am able to get it anytime u guys are free... just have to let me know the best available time...
so we proceed with ordering?

I am ok with the ordering and free anyday after work at 6.30 pm except tomorrow night which I am having an appointment.
Is Snowspeeder ok for it?

By the way, what is the name of the forum at the american wedsite?
Can PM me ?

King Tiger said:
I am ok with the ordering and free anyday after work at 6.30 pm except tomorrow night which I am having an appointment.
Is Snowspeeder ok for it?

By the way, what is the name of the forum at the american wedsite?
Can PM me ?

I'm ok in the evening as well.

i have sent a equote to Cathay... btw also ask for this items also...

seems like the black color tele convertor with 58mm thread is actually made for its videocamera series where as the silver ones are made for the F707 & F717... there is also 1 difference... black is 3 group 4 elements, silver is 3 group 5 elements... so which is actually better?

Black convertor

Silver Convertor

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i have sent a equote to Cathay... btw also ask for this items also...

seems like the black color tele convertor with 58mm thread is actually made for its videocamera series where as the silver ones are made for the F707 & F717... there is also 1 difference... black is 3 group 4 elements, silver is 3 group 5 elements... so which is actually better?

Black convertor

Silver Convertor

Not sure what the elements are referring to? But if the performance of the black is similar to the silver teleconverter, then I rather go for the black one...as the color is better matching.

me too... the darth vader set (wonder if can paint the omnibounce black *duh* :D stupid) ... tats y i ask if there is difference in the elements... i suppose those number comes with a significance...

anyway i got a error feedback from the cathay photo's iquote system... seems their mail is flooded.. or something

Suddenly topic change from close up lense to tele lense....blur...
Anyway, in general, the more the elements the better the image quality as the lense designer attempts to correct distortion.

snowspeeder said:
Not sure what the elements are referring to? But if the performance of the black is similar to the silver teleconverter, then I rather go for the black one...as the color is better matching.

The silver one is newer than the black one and probably perform better. Both are meant to be used on digicams.

why not consider the Olympus TCON17 1.7x tele. It's lighter and cheaper (~$140) and qualitywise won't lose to the Sony. It is 55mm threaded (not a problem as a $10 58-55mm step down ring will fit it to the sony 7xx). There's slightly more vignetting at the wide-angle position on the camera though.

mpenza said:
The silver one is newer than the black one and probably perform better. Both are meant to be used on digicams.

why not consider the Olympus TCON17 1.7x tele. It's lighter and cheaper (~$140) and qualitywise won't lose to the Sony. It is 55mm threaded (not a problem as a $10 58-55mm step down ring will fit it to the sony 7xx). There's slightly more vignetting at the wide-angle position on the camera though.

mpenza, if its 55mm, wouldn't it vignett even at the furthest? i have a 58mm teleconvertor... kinda suxs cos only able to use at the furthest & it have slight vignett, so i suppose if we get the sony one would be able to use it while zooming...

Before buying, I have do some research base on user's comment for Sony Teleconveter VCL-HGD1758 and Olympus TCON 17C.

I have copy and save some rating in my file.
See below from users comment and rating.

A) “When faced with buying a telephoto lens, one naturally looks at the prices. I can tell you from experience, DON'T.
The cut-rate brands sold on Ebay (Phoenix, Opteka etc..) and elsewhere are simply junk. It's not that the photos taken with the off-brands lens are just bad and correctable via Photoshop, it's that they are SO bad, that the autofocus on my Sony 717 simply can't self-correct enough to make the lens even usable.
The VCL-HGD1758 works perfectly with very little/no loss of quality. I ended up buying one after trial and error. Learn from my mistake!

B) Just got my Sony VCL-HGD1758 today & then went for some qick test shots. My first impression:
-Better image quality than TCON17 (Will post pix later)
-Very good picture contrast
-Built quality is excellent
-I always kept a UV filter at the end of the Yoshida adaptor, with the TCON 17, bit of dark corners even at 12X. With Sony, none.
-It is very heavy, wouldn't risk it on a tripod using the camera mounting hole. Almost same weight as FZ10 itself. 99% of my shots are freehand, so not a problem.
-Front diam. 90mm, rear 58mm
-Overall weight approx. 3 LBs plus.
I returned my TCON17 to Olympus for an exchange (over the 30 days return peiod), I don't think the lens are aligned probably, the right side is always softer than the left no matter what angle I was shooting it with. When it come back from Oly I can do some comparison shots.

C) I have tried a few third party TC and so far the Sony offers the best image quality. Image is sharp at full zoom. The only complaint I have is that it is so darn heavy!

D) great lens, razor sharp images, even way into digital zoom. the least vignetting of all the teleconverters. quite a heavy lens, but the end results are worth it. Image tests at http://www.pbase.com/vman/hgd1758 p/s great site Duke!

E) Expensive & heavy, but worth it. Very sharp & suberb detail at full zoom.

F) The Lens May Be Heavy But For Those Who Complain. Grow Stronger

G) The lens is heavy, but it is well worth the money. At full zoom, including the digital setting, pictures still can be zoomed into with clarity.

The Black Sony Teleconverter is attractive and more eye catching as it match the F828 than the silver one. Like DCA have say, it a Darth Varder Design, cool man. :thumbsup:

But after much mind debating, I decide to go for the Silver Sony teleconverter as image quality came in as my very 1st priority.
No point having a beautiful casing to compensate on image quality.

P.S. This is just my point of view. Do comment, though, as I may not be always right and you may have more details and concrete information to show.

This are another users rating on "X" brand of teleconverters.

Model DCR-1850PRO : This lens could sometimes deliver acceptable image quality, but not often. The limitation to use only with f/5.6 or smaller apertures makes it quite useless for most wildlife photography which was the reason I bought the lens. The image quality problems were softness at the sides and fairly severe Chromatic Aberration. I would not recommend this lens for anyone. I hardly ever used it.

Model Digital 2X : Completely worthless. The image was soft at the corners with incredibly severe Chromatic Aberration. A paperweight only.

Ok...I shall now standby to get the Sony Silver Teleconverter. Know of any place that I can get a good price?

King Tiger said:
It is very heavy, wouldn't risk it on a tripod using the camera mounting hole. Almost same weight as FZ10 itself. 99% of my shots are freehand, so not a problem.

So if its too heavy to mount on a tripod, would it not be difficult to get a sharp image if you were to zoom to 340mm and to shoot at a slow shutter speed?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
i would like to confirm... the sony's tele will not vignett at even at widest? or you have to use it to the utmost zoom?

Pardon my ignorance, what is "vignett"?

vignett is the darkening of the corners of the picture you have taken...

if u use a normal filter, you might see the darken corners of the F828 pics at the widest.. even more noticeable with more than 1 58mm filter lined up.

snowspeeder said:
Ok...I shall now standby to get the Sony Silver Teleconverter. Know of any place that I can get a good price?

I bought it second hand from one of the CS member.
Sony online is selling at around $450, while as, CP list price is $420.
Not sure how much discount can CP offer?

snowspeeder said:
So if its too heavy to mount on a tripod, would it not be difficult to get a sharp image if you were to zoom to 340mm and to shoot at a slow shutter speed?

The teleconverter is very heavy indeed.
Haven't trial on mounting on the tripod yet as I usually use my left hand to hold it between the len and teleconverter as support for day shoot.

I am asking one of my uncle to custom make one well rugged aluminium handler to support the teleconverter, I will post it to show you all once it have been done.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
vignett is the darkening of the corners of the picture you have taken...

if u use a normal filter, you might see the darken corners of the F828 pics at the widest.. even more noticeable with more than 1 58mm filter lined up.

There will definetely have darkening corners at around 28~120.
For me, I usually zoom at the way 200mm or adjust a little bit backward to 150~180mm for tele shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.