70-200 with x2 entender Vs 100-400

Status
Not open for further replies.

OttOMaster

Mar 4, 2007
Nee Soon Camp
Hi,

need advice from anyone with experience with this 2 lens.

@ 400, how are the pictures from this 2 combination.

thinking of getting ready for the F1.

appriciate your advice.

otto:)

100-400 is definitely a better choice as the x2 extender degrades your pics optically. check out reviews on the extender and you will know why.

Currently have a 2x TC on rental and managed to try out these 2 combinations:

1. 70-200 F2.8 IS + 2x Canon Extender (Mk 1)

AF performance drops significantly. More so on xxxD series cameras. 1 series camera has experiences erratic AF on areas with less contrast.

Pictures tend to be on the soft side. Stopping down helps a little. But still images are soft

2. 100-400

AF performance remains constant. Able to lock easily with xxxD series, 1 series camera has no issues with AF.

Pictures are sharper than with combination 1.

My experience with this lens (2) is that from 4-5pm onwards, your keeper rates will start to drop as the lens slows down as well.

... and for those crazy/curious buggers out there - yes i did try the 2x on the 100-400 :bsmilie: Results aren't pleasing.

If you are only limited to these lens, the 100-400L would be the choice anytime. Any lens with the 2X TC on will have quality loss apart from slow AF.

For those curious, I used to own the 100-400L but had replaced it with a 400 f5.6L prime and 70-200 f2.8L IS. Both lens are seldom used now.

For F1, speeds matters. can always rent a good lens like 300f2.8 IS etc to cover the F1. ;p

Is it my eyes or what... i see the f4 IS being sharper than the f2.8 IS at 200mm end!

I don't think it's your eyes; the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS image quality is OK but it's not anything to shout about.

Attach a 2X we'll be scrapping the bottom of the barrel, really.

... and for those crazy/curious buggers out there - yes i did try the 2x on the 100-400 :bsmilie: Results aren't pleasing.

I had asked a question about extenders in earlier thread. Thought I would get some clarification from dEthANGeL.

hi dEthANGeL,
I know AF won't work with 100-400mm lens + 2X extender. Assuming that I can live with manual focusing, how is the picture quality ? Do you have any sample pictures to share ? That would be great. Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the OT.

I had asked a question about extenders in earlier thread. Thought I would get some clarification from dEthANGeL.

hi dEthANGeL,
I know AF won't work with 100-400mm lens + 2X extender. Assuming that I can live with manual focusing, how is the picture quality ? Do you have any sample pictures to share ? That would be great. Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the OT.

Yes, AF will not work since F stop is now F11 unless you tape up the pins... even then i tried, the lens experienced severe hunting and AF crawls, could barely AF lock properly after many tries on a xxxD series camera.

PQ? I don't think you want to see also. I took 1 shot and gave up. The PQ is well... below par. Everything's blurry even tripod mounted + self timer MLU, the picture was very soft.

Apologies i've already cleared the CF card.

I don't think it's your eyes; the 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS image quality is OK but it's not anything to shout about.

Attach a 2X we'll be scrapping the bottom of the barrel, really.

OIC. thanks for sharin ;)

Yes, AF will not work since F stop is now F11 unless you tape up the pins... even then i tried, the lens experienced severe hunting and AF crawls, could barely AF lock properly after many tries on a xxxD series camera.

PQ? I don't think you want to see also. I took 1 shot and gave up. The PQ is well... below par. Everything's blurry even tripod mounted + self timer MLU, the picture was very soft.

Apologies i've already cleared the CF card.

Thanks a lot. Really appreciate it. I can just FORGET about the 2x extender now. :bsmilie:

OT a bit... how about the 100-300 f/4 (Sigma) + 1.4x or 2x TC?

Apparently the IQ for the lens is pretty good by itself and w/ the 1.4x TC...

Status
Not open for further replies.