5D or 1Dm2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd go for 1D Mk II, I am using 5D and 1D, but enjoy the 1 D more for what I enjoy shooting....action and streets, eventhough it is just a 4MP Mk I version. So its a matter of fun or bread and butter issue for me.....5D photos is great for events that justify the money, a much more economical option than the next step up in FF on Canon range.....1D is for fun....hope to upgrade to at least MkII in the near future, as photography is my main indulgence in life.

Before you guys jump into the 5D, go borrow one first. the AF points might be a chore to you.

on the 5D, the 9 AF points are spreaded out like the 20D/30D, but because 5D is a FF camera, all the AF points are cramped in the center, with the extra frame space uncovered with AF points - which is pretty much unlike all other 1 series bodies.

if you shooting style is to select the closest AF point to the subject during composition, you might not like 5D. =)

This is one of my complaints about the 5d also, but I'm still loving FF :p

Dun forget that the 5D also has 6 hidden focusing points inside the partial metering circle.

Dun forget that the 5D also has 6 hidden focusing points inside the partial metering circle.

But those are still clustered near the centre. The corners/extreme borders are lacking any focus points whatsoever.

Then again, the 1-series 45-point AF is also clustered close to the centre. Not sure if I'm wrong, but are there hidden points on the 1-series AF system?

having the same dilemma too when I choose one of them.
When I compare apple to apple to shoot same subject, 1D Mark2 deliver wider dynamic range and crispy image (5D slightly oof), and very damn fast machine.
But on high ISO performance, 5D is great performer (less noise)

But those are still clustered near the centre. The corners/extreme borders are lacking any focus points whatsoever.

Then again, the 1-series 45-point AF is also clustered close to the centre. Not sure if I'm wrong, but are there hidden points on the 1-series AF system?

No hidden AF points though.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1dsmkii/page4.asp

I guess 5D will produce more distortion as it is a FF

Yeah, it is true that it depends on the lenses
But as you know, the 1.6X sensor occupy only a part of the image circle but the FF's one occupy almost all the image circle, so i think it should produce more distortion:)

Yeah, it is true that it depends on the lenses
But as you know, the 1.6X sensor occupy only a part of the image circle but the FF's one occupy almost all the image circle, so i think it should produce more distortion:)

No you still don't get it. I know what you're trying to get at but the sensor does not produce more distortion.

The distortion from the lens is always there, regardless of the sensor you are on. However, because you are using a FF sensor, you are getting the full range of the distortion; with a APS-C sensor, you will only get a cropped portion of the same distortion.

Hope that clears things up. :)

Yes it's the wideness of a wide-angle lens that produces distortion and NOT the camera itself. In fact some distortions can be very nice, depending on what u're taking and how u compose the pic.

I'll say this again...

If you need help choosing higher end bodies like those, you most probably don't need them.

unconstructive remark :thumbsd: being more experienced doesnt mean you can highhandedly put other less experienced or more confused people down with such an arrogant attitude, which i tell you straight, its damn sickening.

Im undecided on either 5D or 1Dm2. shops have discontinued 1dm2 so can only source for 2nd hand. Would like to ask 5D and 1Dm2 users on your opinions on the pros and cons on each respective body :dunno:

here is a more constructive remark:

assess your needs of the 5d and markII. the 5d is more for Fullframe shooting, the mark2 is more for speed, robustness together with good image quality in the same package. hence, you should choose according to these guidelines

very easy choice actually...

if you shoot birds and/or sports, choose 1dmkII. otherwise, the 5D.

n also if wif extra budget n tendency to BBB or upgrade, it is better to go 1DmII instead of 5D..

unconstructive remark :thumbsd: being more experienced doesnt mean you can highhandedly put other less experienced or more confused people down with such an arrogant attitude, which i tell you straight, its damn sickening.
*Applause* Well said! :bsmilie:

I'm also having great difficulties deciding between these 2 bodies now, since the 2nd hand prices are almost the same.

But I'm more inclined towards 5D now because it's Full Frame, less bulky, lighter, has great high ISO performance, wonderful BP511 batteries, 12MP. And I seldom, if ever shoot sports or birds. :)

Hoping for Canon to announce 5D mkII in August so that there'll be more 2nd hand 5D in B&S section. :bsmilie:

n also if wif extra budget n tendency to BBB or upgrade, it is better to go 1DmII instead of 5D..

Sorry, don't really see the logic in this...:confused:

5D is cheaper to maintain...
1dmk2 costs more....

When your shutter goes.. 5D cheaper to replace... when your batteries go, 5D cheaper to replace...

If you are a kluckz.. ie drop or bang everything you handle.. go mk2.. its built to stand torture..

If you like shooting ultrawides.. 5D, Teles.. mk2...

Ceterus paribus...

Status
Not open for further replies.