5D classic upgrade: 5D3 or 6D?

L-coholic

Mar 10, 2010
I know this is an old topic but just want to know your opinion based on my situation.

I have a 5D classic, what I feel lacking while shooting indoor with my daughter running around is the ISO speed and focus accuracy.

I googled and read through some of the post, seems like 6D wins over with ISO performance while 5D3 wins over with focus speed and accuracy.

I knew that 5D4 is the best option for both ISO performance and focus accuracy, but 5D4 is a bit out of reach at the moment, so if stick to these two options (5D3 and 6D), which shall I pick?

I know this is an old topic but just want to know your opinion based on my situation.

I have a 5D classic, what I feel lacking while shooting indoor with my daughter running around is the ISO speed and focus accuracy.

I googled and read through some of the post, seems like 6D wins over with ISO performance while 5D3 wins over with focus speed and accuracy.

I knew that 5D4 is the best option for both ISO performance and focus accuracy, but 5D4 is a bit out of reach at the moment, so if stick to these two options (5D3 and 6D), which shall I pick?

You make no mention of the glass that you are using. Camera bodies are amazing technological marvels that do a lot and can perform like top professional race cars when they are in the right hands.

Glass or lenses can also be very detracting factors that may limit the maximum capabilities of camera bodies. A cheap lens will limit a 5D Classic just as much as a 6D or 5D3... no matter what body the glass is put on, the end result will be less than ideal.

Premium glass however can potentially produce results that were previously unimagined. So when considering improving your acceptable shot performance, which appears to be your goal, premium glass may be a solution for your 5D Classic or it you decide to upgrade, I believe that in order to achieve your goal you should also consider getting premium glass with your new camera body.

You make no mention of the glass that you are using. Camera bodies are amazing technological marvels that do a lot and can perform like top professional race cars when they are in the right hands.

Glass or lenses can also be very detracting factors that may limit the maximum capabilities of camera bodies. A cheap lens will limit a 5D Classic just as much as a 6D or 5D3... no matter what body the glass is put on, the end result will be less than ideal.

Premium glass however can potentially produce results that were previously unimagined. So when considering improving your acceptable shot performance, which appears to be your goal, premium glass may be a solution for your 5D Classic or it you decide to upgrade, I believe that in order to achieve your goal you should also consider getting premium glass with your new camera body.

Currently I have 50/1.4, S85/1.4 and 135/2L only, was thinking to get S35/1.4A. In my case, what do you suggest?

Currently I have 50/1.4, S85/1.4 and 135/2L only, was thinking to get S35/1.4A. In my case, what do you suggest?

I think that the Sigma 35 f/1.4 would be an excellent choice to complement your current set of fine glass. Between the two camera bodies, I would prefer the 5D3 for its strength in focus accuracy.

There are a lot of resources on the internet comparing the 5D3 and the 6D. In almost every comparison, the 5D3 is the obvious choice. One such article can be found here:

Comparison: 5D3 vs. 6D

wad do u mean out of reach at the moment , i tot it release already?

Having owned 5D3 n used friend's 6D before, I'd say a 5D3 for sure.

But then again, if your requirement is shooting your daughter running around only, then a 6D with Siggy 35 ART sounds like a logical option.

Are you a shooter that prefers to use ambient only rather than with flash? Coz while no disrespect to other 6D users, I have encountered a few 6D with high-speed-sync issues using a Canon 600RT flash both with/without ST-E3 trigger.

5D4 is definitely the BEST among all of coz :p The noise at 5D4 ISO 6,400 is similar to 5D3 ISO 2,000 :D

I vote 6D for you bro, cheers! :)

If I have to pick from the 2 choices you have listed, I'll definitely go for the 5d3... As it will give you more cross type focusing points. But whether it's worth the additional $1000 over 6D is up to you to decide...

**IIRC, even if 6D ISO performance is better than 5D3, it's really just that little bit better.

Image quality wise, the 5D3 and 6D are very similar. Tests say that the 6D is slightly better at higher ISOs like 6400, but I tried my friends 6D and found no noticeable difference compared to my 5D3.

Like SkyStrike said, you have to decide if the additional cost of the 5D3's functions over the 6D is worth the extra costs. The 5D3 has a more "pro" features (e.g. dual card slot, faster burst, better screen, better viewfinder, build quality etc.)

But if you're talking about image quality, they're more or less the same.

I would recommend 5D3 over the 6D.
or you may want to wait for the 6D2. :D

Thanks for everyone's reply, just quick update, eventually I bought second hand 1DX, hope it won't disappoint me :thumbsup:

Right decision from 5D series to 6D is down grade ....:cry:

Thanks for everyone's reply, just quick update, eventually I bought second hand 1DX, hope it won't disappoint me :thumbsup:

"Disappointment" is not a word you can associate with the 1DX. You'll have many great experiences with it, I'm sure.

Congratulations.

i'll give my two cents in case anyone still reads this post haha. For others who are asking the same question..

I have these bodies. 70D, 6D and 5D3. I got the 6D about nine months ago, seen me through 2-3 holidays. 5D3 just obtained few days back?

The main problem i find with the 6D is the lack of AF points.. and only centre cross. (why couldnt canon give 19 likethe 7D, 70D)(And only one cross.., seriously)(End of rant, haha)
If you're mainly shooting stills (landscape, portraits, photobooth, etc..), its an awesome camera
Has Wifi and GPS, two things that might or might not matter to you. It does to me.

6D also has the same body size(very similar at least) to the 60D,70D.
And importantly(i dont see why this isnt brought up much on reviews..), the button layout on the 6D is very similar to that of the 70D and 80D. My point is that if youre moving up from a XXd series camera post 60D, it feels quite at home.

5D3 on the other hand has two functions per top button, takes some getting used to. I havent but i can understand why they need it.
5D3 has a headphone jack (if thats important to you)
5D3 has a slow SD card slot, apparently equivalent to class 4. Doesnt matter that you put a class 10 UHS 3, its still slow.. clearing the buffer takes ages. Just shoot with the CF card, simple =)
5D3 placement of the DOF button makes it easier to press with the right hand instead of a small button that is really hard to press with on the 6D.

I'll add more if a recall any more stuff..

Basically just AF points vs wifi and GPS and $$$, haha (for me anw)

I always tot that 6D is to compare with 5D2 instead of 5D3. This is becasue of the class they are in.

If to chose 6D or 5D3, i think the ans is very obvious and most of them here mention it too. As of when to get 6D is when u want to shoot more video compare to photo. But of cos 5D3 video is also gd just that the ISO come in handly if u really shoot alot of video.

Camera won't make you more pro seriously. 6d and 5d3 are basically the same, in fact I prefer my 6d for long hours like bridals rather than 5d3. Owning both, they're the same to me except one slightly in IQ and videos. Very slight. Nuff said.