50mm prime lens used as a walkabout lens to take people

Status
Not open for further replies.
sathea >> i like your shots .. but how did u manage to get so close to the people and they don't stare at you or chase u away ?! *amazing*

Seriously! How is it done? How far were you from these people?

i do it discreetly with my camera's viewfinder.
very close, about one or two arm's length? :)

Thanks Rash for your clarification. I was confused because it states a constant aperture, so I was wondering if I could make it smaller because when I was reading the stickies, they said we can control the different aperture size to get different DOF.

I am really sorry for giving the wrong impression that I did not read the stickies and was waiting to be spoon-fed.

I really appreciate the fact that you still took the trouble to explain to me. Thanks once again!

HI fvtpl , SORRY diverging ur post for a moment , do you happen to be an accountant or auditor ? lol very much captivated by ur name , fair value through P&L haha.

I find that 50mm is neither here nor there for me. A cheap and good lens, however, it seems to be best for more predictable situations, ie, taking pictures of a friend, or from a fixed spot, like concerts.

Little India, it depends on what you're taking. You mentioned people, how far do you plan to be from them? for 50mm, 10 meters is too far, 3 meters is a better range, but you get attention of that person, some may not like it and you may not feel good about it. If you're going to be outdoors, I recommend a zoom lens, something like a 55-200? I'm not sure what have you on Sony. Indoors, get either a 85mm or some F2.8 wide angles? (may be expensive!)

With some training, one can become accustomed to any focal length he/she wishes, such that framing becomes second nature. One can be in a spot and immediately, before even raising his camera to his eye, know roughly how much of the frame the subject will fill, and what is in the frame, to some extent.

I have reached that level of comfort with my 35mm f/2 (which simulates a 45mm lens after conversion), and here are some street photography shots that I'd like to share. I feel that with street photography, the thrill comes in getting close to your subjects. I don't like sniping from afar - there is no interaction between the photographer and subject

f7c7744823dcdc42d67017e02602d095.jpg
The dude's foot got cut off because he took a step forward. Pity though, because he was really polite and we had a chat on what I do street photography for, which is basically for fun, and to see different kinds of people doing the mundane on the streets.

6b3966dca662c69570772d039bccf751.jpg
Love this shot; one of my favourite public transport street shots, because of the almost-comical three-in-a-row sleeping beauties.

b23b678eb734b93fbefefb9f65918ee7.jpg
I really like the play of space on the left of frame in this one. It clearly places them on a third, but the space is nicely irregular, sort of like an organised mess. I'm a sucker for using lines and space in some of my compositions.

All these were shot with a 35mm f/2, and the ease of framing these shots up comes with almost a year of using this lens extensively.

With some training, one can become accustomed to any focal length he/she wishes, such that framing becomes second nature. One can be in a spot and immediately, before even raising his camera to his eye, know roughly how much of the frame the subject will fill, and what is in the frame, to some extent.

I have reached that level of comfort with my 35mm f/2 (which simulates a 45mm lens after conversion), and here are some street photography shots that I'd like to share. I feel that with street photography, the thrill comes in getting close to your subjects. I don't like sniping from afar - there is no interaction between the photographer and subject

Hi calebk,

Actually I quite agree with you that its better to be up close rather than sniping from afar. I used to be really far, sniping from 30m and cropping kind... but as I 'mature' a little in candid streets, I found myself willing to get in the crowd, down to some 2-8 meters and my pictures got much better of course. All in all i'm still learning. I have this shot that I love a lot from yesterday.. using the 250mm at about 2 meters. I feel that even if I were closer to them, I'd still choose a medium tele lens though... even the 50mm seems a little short for me. Maybe its just me.

girlsmall.jpg

Sigma 30mm f1.4 is a good choice and if u and the subject are comfortable u shooting them close. if not get a zoom lens and snap them from far. But u lost the connection with the subject

I am comfortable with telephoto or wide because there are advantages with either. Telephpto can serve to isolate the subjects within their native scene and preserve the candidness and spontaneity of the shot. Does that make the photographer a coward ?

2740832623_3e8bc05c78.jpg

I can go on a wide with this. But it is not my intention to spoil their moment.

There is certainly no wrong with employing a wide angle lens for your upclose shots. I love using a wide angle too.

2789173255_782a252e03.jpg

12mm on this.

In short every situation is different. I cannot see why we should dictate one over the other when the decision is simply up to a person's preference.

Ryan

I'm going to run off topic a little, do you think putting on a battery grip will make it more daunting for street photography? Big body opposed to big lens. Or will it make you look more professional and thus people are less suspicious?

I'm going to run off topic a little, do you think putting on a battery grip will make it more daunting for street photography? Big body opposed to big lens. Or will it make you look more professional and thus people are less suspicious?

Eh... I use a grip these days and I snapped a bunch with a 24mm at Bugis Village the other day. And while it's pretty obvious that you're a photographer, it's how you portray yourself to get ppl to relax.

Eh... I use a grip these days and I snapped a bunch with a 24mm at Bugis Village the other day. And while it's pretty obvious that you're a photographer, it's how you portray yourself to get ppl to relax.

Hm... How can you vary the way you portray yourself? I mean, point the camera definitely gives that "hey I'm snapping you" look. I agree with not looking sneaky or otherwise, but there naturally will be those who will still feel invaded. My experience at least. Sometimes it even shows in the pictures... people being snapped with the "What the heck are you shooting me for!?" look.

Hm... How can you vary the way you portray yourself? I mean, point the camera definitely gives that "hey I'm snapping you" look. I agree with not looking sneaky or otherwise, but there naturally will be those who will still feel invaded. My experience at least. Sometimes it even shows in the pictures... people being snapped with the "What the heck are you shooting me for!?" look.

It's how you conduct yourself before, during and after the process of taking the shot.

Usually a long lens lends you the feeling that you are being sneaky, and people seeing you with a long lens will tend to think you are sniping from afar and have something to hide. However, Ryan has brought up a very valid point that if it works towards the final product, a long lens is merely a means to an end, but it should never replace the working ethic of a street photographer to always use a long lens, because this may still appear sneaky to some people.

During the shot, smile when shooting. I can't say how often this has gotten positive response from people you are shooting, or even people around the person you are shooting. In the case of the trishaw operator shot you saw above, I smiled while shooting him, and he instantly lit up too.

After that, if they are close enough and interested enough, share the shot with them. Digital format has made it easier to show what you are shooting. Show that you have nothing to hide. Most of the time, this results in them taking interest in your photos, and you can even strike up conversations from time to time.

Yeah... dun be sneaky...

Just smile at them sincerely...

It's how you conduct yourself before, during and after the process of taking the shot.

Usually a long lens lends you the feeling that you are being sneaky, and people seeing you with a long lens will tend to think you are sniping from afar and have something to hide. However, Ryan has brought up a very valid point that if it works towards the final product, a long lens is merely a means to an end, but it should never replace the working ethic of a street photographer to always use a long lens, because this may still appear sneaky to some people.

During the shot, smile when shooting. I can't say how often this has gotten positive response from people you are shooting, or even people around the person you are shooting. In the case of the trishaw operator shot you saw above, I smiled while shooting him, and he instantly lit up too.

After that, if they are close enough and interested enough, share the shot with them. Digital format has made it easier to show what you are shooting. Show that you have nothing to hide. Most of the time, this results in them taking interest in your photos, and you can even strike up conversations from time to time.

Haha alright, sure will try sometime. =)

50mm Primes are perfect!!!!!well..for me at least...

Haha alright, sure will try sometime. =)

Just to add on, why I use a 35mm on my 1D is because it feels most like a normal lens (I came from shooting film, and the 35mm after the 1.3x crop gives the FoV of 45mm), and feels most natural to the eye. It's also the right distance to bring up and snap (as would be probable of a slightly wider lens) without having to move back so much, compared to a longer focal length.

In cases of a 1.5 or 1.6 crop, a 28mm, 30mm or 35mm is still very much usable in my opinion, to simulate a normal lens.

Need some pointers on street photography...

I tend to rush thru taking my shots...any seasoned street photographers have any pointers on this? As I understand that certain moments only happen once when it comes to taking people...

Need some pointers on street photography...

I tend to rush thru taking my shots...any seasoned street photographers have any pointers on this? As I understand that certain moments only happen once when it comes to taking people...

Well, it's a matter of how you intend to shoot. Either you can choose to snap and walk off or you can compose nicely (discreetly though) and then snap your shot and see how it shows up before you decide on your next course of action.

Status
Not open for further replies.