50mm owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got mine 3 weeks ago through ebay. Mine a OM lens cos no budget to get a Digital AF lens. I Like it a lot... look classic on my E410 and i enjoy shooting my Baby boy with it .

Hi,

I am a 50mm 1.8 lens owner... and It has helped me with not only portrait shots but indoor shots that has low lights... very efficient lens I must say =)

I find myself underutilising my 50mm f1.8 to be honest. I only bought it initially as a substitute because my 24-70 f2.8 at the time was in the hospital.

Noob here too, but just sharing the little I know (and hopefully learn something new in the process).

On a FF body, at 50mm, WYSIWYG. I own a 50 f1.4. I find that on a crop body, it may get a bit too long, especially if you're taking portraits in a rather tight area. A 30mm on a crop body will almost give you the WYSIWYG effect. (30 x 1.6 = 48, which is close to 50mm)

So, to cut the long story short, on a crop body, a 30mm will give you an almost full body portrait, a 50mm for half body shots, and 85mm for head shots.

YAY!!!i bought my 50mm 1.8 already!!
Heres my first shot

exposure sucks huh?

candid 1#
bazaar.jpg

Last edited:
Good buy. You will enjoy this lens. Share with you a couple of pics taken at Changi airport, the environment is definitely not bright yet I didn't use any flash.

Taken at f/2.8.
50mm1_8_f2_8.JPG

Taken at f/2.0.
50mm1_8_f2_0.JPG

For a lens that costs just a bit above $100, I think the speed offered is very good.

i wanna use 50mm for portrait use...anyway do u guys have a picture of a night shot taken by 50mm 1.8?

in my opinion, it's a "nice to have" lens but not necessarily required. for shooting in low light, there are other ways to get around this (ISO, shutter speed and/or flash). as for portrait uses, some people feel that the wide aperture is nice for those "bokeh" effects.

the question is, what existing lens do you have right now? and among your existing lens, do you feel you've maximized it's limit? always remember that a "better" lens doesn't necessarily mean you'll be a better photographer.

just to share, I use my kit lens (wide 14-42mm f3.5-5.6) for my macro and landscape shots, and my other kit lens (tele 40-150mm f4.0-5.6) for my portrait shots.

bottomline, save your money. if you're a newbie to photography, don't just go buying prime lens (even if you're rich and have money to burn). you can buy those prime lens later. and if you're itching to spend, i would suggest you use the money to buy books and attend workshops/classes first.

there are still a lot of things to learn and explore out there (note: i'm a newbie myself -- just bought my first DSLR last July). you can worry about prime lens later.

please visit my websites:

http://john.mariquit.com <- it's a blog of my adventures in photography as a newbie (using kit lens, remember?)
http://phyrewall.multiply.com/photos <- is a WIP for my adventures in model photography (still using a kit lens, again).

if you're still not convince, and itching to buy a 50mm f1.8, then by all means go for it. just make sure you maximize it's use, lest it ends up tucked away in a dry cab and never to see the light of day again :bsmilie:

To all 50mm 1.8 owners.
i wanna know is 50mm worth to buy?
how often do you guys use a 50mm?
what kinda shot u guys take using a 50mm?

You have a need for a particular lens, that's why you buy it. Don't buy a lens and find a need for it.

I have a 1.8, and it is worth it's weight in gold :D

Um..it doesn't weigh much.

Anyway, I've found the 50mm to be a very nifty lens, but not everyone will. Guess now that you've already bought it, I hope you find it useful...if not take it as a lesson - when you buy a lens, you buy a lens to fulfill a need. You don't need the people of this forum to persuade you to buy it or justify the purchase.

does anyone use their 50mm as a traveling lens when they travel light?

I travel heavy, but my 50mm is for low light conditions or when i wan to have uber thin DOF

Ryan

Ever since i sold my kit lens (regretted it a lot), i now travel with 50mm f1.8... It's like bringing a point and shoot cam.. 450D taking out the batt grip + 50mm.. very convenient.. just Point and Shoot. no need to worry about wide. just zoom in and out with your feet. :)

Not to mention the sharpness of the 50mm is really quite unbelievable for the price. It's always in my bag too whenever I go around to shoot.
Really not a easy lens to use as opposed to the others, but the experience of shooting with primes is always rewarding, very different from shooting with zooms ;)

Ever since i sold my kit lens (regretted it a lot), i now travel with 50mm f1.8... It's like bringing a point and shoot cam.. 450D taking out the batt grip + 50mm.. very convenient.. just Point and Shoot. no need to worry about wide. just zoom in and out with your feet. :)

U can buy back the kit lens, it's pretty cheap even for the IS one.

enough said. now that you have it. use it to the fullest! keep it on the camera as default.

i never regretted the 50mm f1.8, and upgraded to 50mm f1.4...so many things you can do and it is really worth every cent.

remember you make the photos...not the lens nor camera...enjoy!

U can buy back the kit lens, it's pretty cheap even for the IS one.

No need to buy it back. I got the 17-55mm f/2.8 already.. :thumbsup:

But when at home or when a family member borrows my cam. it's the 50mm f1.8 that does the job. Quite good to play with it. Add an extension tube then you got some "fair" macro capabilities to play with at home.

and this is my 3rd 50mm f1.8. I'm keeping it this time. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.