50mm owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to buy it back. I got the 17-55mm f/2.8 already.. :thumbsup:

But when at home or when a family member borrows my cam. it's the 50mm f1.8 that does the job. Quite good to play with it. Add an extension tube then you got some "fair" macro capabilities to play with at home.

and this is my 3rd 50mm f1.8. I'm keeping it this time. :bsmilie:

I used to use my 50 f/1.8 II with close up filters for macros and results are pretty impressive. But i've already sold it so not planning to take macros for a while.

I used to use my 50 f/1.8 II with close up filters for macros and results are pretty impressive. But i've already sold it so not planning to take macros for a while.

This is my mistake which i recently discovered. I bought a uniplus 25 extension tube and was not satisfied with how it works. lens needs to be really close to the subject. but yeah it's macro for still subjects. but once you increase the distance, you can't see anything..

How does your close-up filter work with the 50mm? Do you still have the distance between lens and subject with reasonable magnification?

I saw the 2 reviews recently at dpreview on canon and sigma f1.4 lens. I know it's good for low light but they are really soft at f1.4 and have to step to f4 to see sharp result. So why need to spend the extra to get a f1.4 and shoot at f4?

Maybe someone will be able to enlighten me?

I have the 24-70mm f2.8 and thought of getting the 50 f1.8 but don't know if it's worth it.

if you don't need it, then it's not worth it.

if you don't need it, then it's not worth it.

I wanted to do some portrait shots. But not sure if the 24-70 can do a better job or the 50 f1.8.

The 50 mm lens is probably one of the most underated prime lens. It is one of the sharpest and most affordable lens of any camera brand. The standard lens at f1.8 is the best for low light and portraits shoot esp if u have the digital sensor with either a 1.3 or 1.5 crop. Keep it and use it. If u need to shoot often in low or very low light situations then the f1.0, f1.2 or more affordable f1.4 are excellent choices. None of the zooms have aperture larger than f2.8, so carry this simple low cost lens for large aperture shoots (low light and background isolation).

good for you. :)

This is my mistake which i recently discovered. I bought a uniplus 25 extension tube and was not satisfied with how it works. lens needs to be really close to the subject. but yeah it's macro for still subjects. but once you increase the distance, you can't see anything..

How does your close-up filter work with the 50mm? Do you still have the distance between lens and subject with reasonable magnification?

I added 2 pieces of +4 on it and magnification is quite gd but with a bit of sharpness loss. Of cos u cannot focus infinity with close-up filters on your lens so the only way is to remove it.

I added 2 pieces of +4 on it and magnification is quite gd but with a bit of sharpness loss. Of cos u cannot focus infinity with close-up filters on your lens so the only way is to remove it.

eh just a question, how much you got the close up filters for? and where? thanks!;)

I am happy with my 50mm... often use it for studio portraits and concerts (outdoor). sample of a shot recently taken at Baybeats... using the 50mm 1.8 without flash
leeson7.jpg

I got my 50mm F1.4 few week back...
I love the indoor shot and outdoor with low light...

This photo is shot today...
sssimg0032sl2.jpg

Last edited:
hey rubber duck..where your from???anyway nice pictures.more pictures pleasee

eh just a question, how much you got the close up filters for? and where? thanks!;)

If u need to get close up filters, remember to get at least those double element ones instead. Better IQ, and the difference can very obvious

Ryan

One of my fav lenses cause i do still use film bodies :)... on a crop factor camera . a 35mm would be better :) as mentioned above

no doubt about the cheap and good 50mm F1.8 lense... a must for all the starters... here is one of the pics taken with the lens

2836064774_1602a26620_o.jpg

Just bought my Nikon 50mm, f1.8, it is a amazing lens to have.

Status
Not open for further replies.