50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8

50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

If you are shooting too near to the subject, it will. It's more of perspective distortion rather than lens construction.

BC

For tight head shot. This lens will somehow distort to a certain way due to the nature of it's construction. Cheers:)
The distortion will only be more prominent if you use it on film. On DX it's quite ok.

in that case, is the 85mm less of a portrait lens because it doesnt distort so much on a digital body?

in that case, is the 85mm less of a portrait lens because it doesnt distort so much on a digital body?

No? You don't want a portrait lens to distort, do you? It's just that the working distance is further. 300/2.8 even better.. just that you got to stand very far to shoot a decent portrait. ;p

ah.. i was thinking of perspective distortion... i'm lost in this. i've just got the chance to take a couple portraits of a friend and i'm looking for everyway and mean to make it look better.

why not save a bit more money to get the 50mm f1.2 USM, just got mine today, result POWER!!! the price is worth, portrait, product, food, no marco though but still its a gd buy... considering a L lens at 2k plus its worth....

why not save a bit more money to get the 50mm f1.2 USM, just got mine today, result POWER!!! the price is worth, portrait, product, food, no marco though but still its a gd buy... considering a L lens at 2k plus its worth....

Errr. Nikon forum? Anyway, it's Macro.

Marco Polo is a person though...:bsmilie:

No? You don't want a portrait lens to distort, do you? It's just that the working distance is further. 300/2.8 even better.. just that you got to stand very far to shoot a decent portrait. ;p

Use a walkie talkie to communicate with your model, who's on the other side of the field. :bsmilie:

You modify the mount for me, yah? ;p I'd prefer the 50/1.0L.

But 300mm range will show almost no perspective when shooting asian face like most of us.
We asian don't really look great in side profile shot too.
I think 200mm is the max I can go for perspective sake. My personal choice for shooting portraits is this few lenses. The 50mm, 85mm, 105mm & 70-200mm VR.;p

But 300mm range will show almost no perspective when shooting asian face like most of us.
We asian don't really look great in side profile shot too.
I think 200mm is the max I can go for perspective sake. My personal choice for shooting portraits is this few lenses. The 50mm, 85mm, 105mm & 70-200mm VR.;p

me too love to use the 50mm and 70-200 for portrait shots, but i always have a problem with the 70-200....

the 70-200 looks so big and long, and when used to shoot portraits of ppl, they tend to be "overwhelmed" by it, and dun behave naturally...there almost always exist the need to remind them to relax and smile.. but with the baby-sized 50mm lens, things are almost always simpler..

me too love to use the 50mm and 70-200 for portrait shots, but i always have a problem with the 70-200....

the 70-200 looks so big and long, and when used to shoot portraits of ppl, they tend to be "overwhelmed" by it, and dun behave naturally...there almost always exist the need to remind them to relax and smile.. but with the baby-sized 50mm lens, things are almost always simpler..

OF COURSE! Who doesn't feel threaten with a BIG GUN pointing At their FACE? :bsmilie:

OF COURSE! Who doesn't feel threaten with a BIG GUN pointing At their FACE? :bsmilie:

the best i did is to remove the lens hood.... it shortened by quite a considerable amount of length... but still........... its still too long & scary :cry:

i think 20mm f1.4 is better so that ur subject can be brighter and for focal length u can move urself :)

i think 20mm f1.4 is better so that ur subject can be brighter and for focal length u can move urself :)

Please Do show me a 20mm f1.4

:think:

Hello all

Regarding the 85mm F1.8 can I know whether I can manual focus this lens
on my D40 as I will only be buying a D80 later on ?

Thanks for info

Hello all

Regarding the 85mm F1.8 can I know whether I can manual focus this lens
on my D40 as I will only be buying a D80 later on ?

Thanks for info

Yes you can. You will be able to mount it on a D40, but Autofocus will not be available; the only way to manipulate focus is by Manual Focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.