50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8

50mm f1.4 vs 85mm f1.8

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think micro lenses are good for portraiture too ;)

60mm f2.8, 105mm f2.8 :)

Hi

For shutter speed wise, is the f1.4 much faster than f1.8?

For budget wise, just get the 85mm f/1.8 and 50mm f1.8, you'll be able to snap great shots as well. It'll saved you a whole lot from getting both f/1.4 lens. :)

For budget wise, just get the 85mm f/1.8 and 50mm f1.8, you'll be able to snap great shots as well. It'll saved you a whole lot from getting both f/1.4 lens. :)

Actually it is not the part about savings. Though one should buy what one can afford, but it would be better to just save up for the best. For me, I'd still get the f1.4 that many have swear by it.

Both lens are not sharp at wide open aperture. :sticktong

f/1.8 or f/1.4, everyone have their own preferance. But the thing I dun understand is will we be using f1.4 that often? Dun we usually stops down to f/2.8 or f/4 for sharper images? :dunno:
If this is the case, then is f/1.4 so critical to have?

f/1.8 or f/1.4, everyone have their own preferance. But the thing I dun understand is will we be using f1.4 that often? Dun we usually stops down to f/2.8 or f/4 for sharper images? :dunno:
If this is the case, then is f/1.4 so critical to have?

Perhaps it would be better to go try using a f1.8 lens and a f1.4 lens and shoot at the same aperture (e.g. f2.8) and maybe you can tell us the differences?

Perhaps it would be better to go try using a f1.8 lens and a f1.4 lens and shoot at the same aperture (e.g. f2.8) and maybe you can tell us the differences?

I wish I could, but I have no one to borrow those lens from to carry out the test. Maybe others who may have both lens can show us some pics for spotting the differences. :D

actually i like shooting wide open, enjoy the full glory at its largest aperture. and it will make itself felt most especially when you us it with bounce flash indoors.

I think the 85mm lens is more for outdoor shoots. Quite hard to use 85mm indoors, even at 50mm. I normally shoot outdoors and I recently got the 85mm f1.8, and I have no regrets whatsoever, even though the 50mm f1.4 has its purpose too.

I think you'll see an octagon or somewhat like shape if you have highlight in the background providing you shoot at f/2.8 or so. This 2 lenses doesn't have the rounded shape diaphragm like other lenses does. Or I might be wrong.:confused:
Nowadays, the newer Nikon lenses are mostly in rounded shape diaphragm design. For better bokeh sake.

nope, i havent had problems with my ais 50 1.4 unless i stop it down, there's where the trouble starts.

I think you'll see an octagon or somewhat like shape if you have highlight in the background providing you shoot at f/2.8 or so. This 2 lenses doesn't have the rounded shape diaphragm like other lenses does. Or I might be wrong.:confused:
Nowadays, the newer Nikon lenses are mostly in rounded shape diaphragm design. For better bokeh sake.

Normally you stop down to f/5.6 then you will see octagon... in fact, bigger the aperture, rounder the highlights. Tt'z my experience.
Also, although non-rounded shape, the bokeh still smooth to death, sui! :thumbsup:

IMO, not a lot... 2/3-stop... something like 1/60s to 1/100s.

BC

I tried using the 1/100sec shooting Lantern Festival opening ceremony at Chinatown few mths back. ISO around 200. But aperture wide open at f/1.4 & it was a 85mm lens on a D200 body. I'm able to capture what I wanted at that moment. But of course, not anything near.:)

I tried using the 1/100sec shooting Lantern Festival opening ceremony at Chinatown few mths back. ISO around 200. But aperture wide open at f/1.4 & it was a 85mm lens on a D200 body. I'm able to capture what I wanted at that moment. But of course, not anything near.:)

A 28/1.4 would be useful. ;p

actually i'd prefer the D3. *grins.

hi Guys,

Just a confusing question that came up while I was fiddling with my 50mm 1.8 last night in my room. My room is lit up with incandescent light ( prefers it that way ;) ).

I took a shoot at F1.8 and then for fun I stop down to F4. I realised that at F4 the picture seems brighter. I was using metric metering aiming at the same point for the two photos.
I went back to F1.8 and shoot again; it went back to being darker.

Is that normal?

Status
Not open for further replies.