50D vs 550D

Whitestallion

Feb 18, 2011
JB and Singapore
I am contemplating of selling my 550D and getting a 50D. Is both cams are fitted with the same lens and shots taken under the exact same situation, which produces better IQ? Or should I just stick to my 550D? Thanks.

I am contemplating of selling my 550D and getting a 50D. Is both cams are fitted with the same lens and shots taken under the exact same situation, which produces better IQ? Or should I just stick to my 550D? Thanks.

Use the comparison tool on DPreview.

But I doubt you can tell the difference without first upgrading your skills.

Don't upgrade if you don't know what you are upgrading for (unless the reason is to burn money...) and also, I think you are better off spending money on better lens ("L"ethal ones) if you are really concern on better IQ...(my belief is get a better lens for better IQ)

If shooting in RAW, i doubt any of the camera in question will give you different result on the computer given the same situation/lens/settings.

550 have better low light performance
50d have more buttons hence allow you change the setting faster .

first you need to ask yourself, why are you considering a change from the 550D to 50D?

Is it because there is something that the 50D can do, but your 550D cannot?
Is it because you got tired of the 550D and hence want to change to another body?
Is it because you just want a higher series body? xxxD vs xxD?
Is it because you need a bigger body?
etc etc.

I'll advise you not to change your camera body if you do not find anything lacking in the current body that you own that is hindering what you are doing.

If your only concern now is IQ, just stick with the 550D. Unless you have a good reason to upgrade, like you want a more comfortable grip, more buttons for easy access to functions, etc. just stick to the 550D.

Thanks all. For me, I like the grip on the 50D and the mag alloy body. So my 550 has better IQ? then I gues I'll stuck to my 550.

Whitestallion said:
Thanks all. For me, I like the grip on the 50D and the mag alloy body. So my 550 has better IQ? then I gues I'll stuck to my 550.

IQ wise, they are almost the same. If you want much better IQ, go FF.

IQ is the same, iso performance is slightly better on 550D, u won't notice the diff if both on iso 800 below(opinion from comparing my 50D with my friend's 550D)
real diff is 550D go video(full HD some more) 50D don't but 50D give u more buttons and extra dial for quick access & operability, i dun like using manual mode on entry level, to much time wasted on the settings.

Last edited:
Well I have both of the bodies..IQ wise both are pretty much the same with the same lens..the grip and weight of the 50D feels alot better..the 550D feels abit small in my hands..I shoot mainly in manual mode so the 50D is alot easier to set up on the fly..and that's about it! 550D may be the lower range compared to 50D but it has 2 yrs of technology going for it so the gap between these 2 is so so close..

My advise..save the money and get some good glass!

I agree with SmOcKxy. Get some good glass instead. 550D is good enough, unless you want better fps, or for some purpose. If your reason is the mag alloy body, My advise is to stick with the 550D. Its fairly decent. Essentially the 550D, 7D and 60D all come with the same sensor and Digic Chip.

Have you any interest in other forms of photography? Perhaps you might wanna consider Macro or Portrait? Read up, research and get the relevant glass for it.

550D is of a later generation. If your issue is handling you can consider adding a battery grip to 550d. If the issue is build then frankly speaking unless you have become a war zone photographer or a full time nature photographer in the jungle or Antartica, modern plastics are hardy enough for hobbyist use. It's a nice to have, that magnesium alloy thing, but you probably don't need it. You would have to prioritize what is important for you.. And decide from there.

Add on a battery grip & you will feel a world of different

Last edited: