400D with Nissin Di622

kaxdd

Hi all! I recently got a Nissin Di622 for my Canon 400D. I am using Aperture Priority with the flash, but it doesn't seem to get my exposure correct. I set my exposure to +1/3, but the picture with the flash always almost turns out all washed out. May I know if there anything I can do to rectify this?

In addition, in low light conditions without flash, I sometimes need a shutter speed of 1/4 sec. But with my flash, the shutter speed is still at 1/4 sec. I thought with flash, the shutter speed should be faster?

Please advise as I am a newbie to external hotshoe flash...

Hi all! I recently got a Nissin Di622 for my Canon 400D. I am using Aperture Priority with the flash, but it doesn't seem to get my exposure correct. I set my exposure to +1/3, but the picture with the flash always almost turns out all washed out. May I know if there anything I can do to rectify this?

In addition, in low light conditions without flash, I sometimes need a shutter speed of 1/4 sec. But with my flash, the shutter speed is still at 1/4 sec. I thought with flash, the shutter speed should be faster?

I'm not so sure about Canon flash system, but on the Nikon, when the external flash is switched on in Aperture priority mode, the camera tries to meter for the ambient lighting (ie as though you're shooting without the flash) but then the shutter speed is restricted to the minimum (1/30s in my case), whichever is lower.
Only when I activate slow sync flash mode, then only will the camera be able to access the shutter speeds slower than 1/30s.

Maybe you activated slow sync mode?

You need to adjust FV down, not EV up..

I am not sure about Canon, but in Nikon Flash metering and camera exposure metering is 2 separate things. The camera meter will meter the ambient light without flash. Flash will do its own metering on the subject (in the center of the frame). With regards to 1/4 shutter speed, you should have a setting in your camera that set the minimum shutter speed when flash is attached... If not, just use M mode.

Post some sample?

Something might not be right if all photos are way over-exposed. Is it in ttl mode? Always been like that?

As for the shutter speed, it is normal if you are in aperture priorty. It should be adjustable in one of the custom functions, where you can choose to keep the shutter speed at 1/250, 1/60-1/250 or normal.

In Canon Av mode, camera meter for ambient light with or without flash. Hence shutter speed will be the same. In Auto or P mode, then camera will use flash as main light, hence shutter speed can be faster but background will be unexposed.

I don't own a nissin flash. Is it set to E-TTL or E-TTL II?

never use before nissin flash but if there's ETTL mode then just set ETTL, don't need to adjust EV what ever, try shoot and then give us some details...

no details is like ask the judge to pass judgement without evidence~!

Post some sample?

Something might not be right if all photos are way over-exposed. Is it in ttl mode? Always been like that?

As for the shutter speed, it is normal if you are in aperture priorty. It should be adjustable in one of the custom functions, where you can choose to keep the shutter speed at 1/250, 1/60-1/250 or normal.

if i didn't remember wrongly, the auto shutter speed selection at "1/250 & 1/60" for AV mode is only available for 450D, 500D n 550D in the xxxd series...

if wanna, u can do metering.. as in, select spot metering, press "*" logo on the back of the camera while u aim at the subject u wanna light up... there will b a short bust of flash which will reflect back to your camera n it will do a more accurate calculation for the exposure...
after doing the above process, half press the shutter to focus your subject which u 1st intended to lit up, then follow by full press... subject should be more or less accurately expose...

else... best is to shoot manual...

*to e expert... amend me if i'm wrong..
cheers!:)

if i didn't remember wrongly, the auto shutter speed selection at "1/250 & 1/60" for AV mode is only available for 450D, 500D n 550D in the xxxd series...

if wanna, u can do metering.. as in, select spot metering, press "*" logo on the back of the camera while u aim at the subject u wanna light up... there will b a short bust of flash which will reflect back to your camera n it will do a more accurate calculation for the exposure...
after doing the above process, half press the shutter to focus your subject which u 1st intended to lit up, then follow by full press... subject should be more or less accurately expose...

else... best is to shoot manual...

*to e expert... amend me if i'm wrong..
cheers!:)

correct.