3600HSD Flash - lack of swivel

Status
Not open for further replies.

OCP

Feb 23, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hello everyone.
I am using the 3600HSD flash - which can only tilt but cannot swivel. I bought it knowing its limitation - after balancing the costs (compared to 5600 HSD) vs the level of use as an occasional shooter.
When using the flash, I would always tilt and bounce the flash (when taking landscape orientation).

I would like to check with fellow user of 3600HS what you do when you are taking in portrait mood (indoors) and wants to use the flash and also wants to avoid direct and harsh flash.

So far, I tried to bounce against the walls, but the situation may not allows. Is there any other tricks, additional accessories to get around the limitation of the lack of swivel and yet can produce nice, natural portrait photos using flash? :embrass:

Thanks in advance.

OCP said:
Hello everyone.
I am using the 3600HSD flash - which can only tilt but cannot swivel. I bought it knowing its limitation - after balancing the costs (compared to 5600 HSD) vs the level of use as an occasional shooter.
When using the flash, I would always tilt and bounce the flash (when taking landscape orientation).

I would like to check with fellow user of 3600HS what you do when you are taking in portrait mood (indoors) and wants to use the flash and also wants to avoid direct and harsh flash.

So far, I tried to bounce against the walls, but the situation may not allows. Is there any other tricks, additional accessories to get around the limitation of the lack of swivel and yet can produce nice, natural portrait photos using flash? :embrass:

Thanks in advance.

what about a flash bracket? ;)

Wireless......with tripod or ask someone to hold it for you. Not as flexible but do-able.

L and C brackets usually will do.

Do take note that under bright lights condition, wireless mode might not work.

tankm said:
Wireless......with tripod or ask someone to hold it for you. Not as flexible but do-able.
Agree. Use wireless. Alternatively you can mount it on a tripod - use a rubber band or string to tie it.

The mounting feet that came with the flash has a screw-hole that will fit most tripod head plates. Using wireless remote and mounting your flash on a ballhead on a tripod will give you all the verstility you need.

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
hope that there is not another guy using minolta & also on channel 1...

Actually, better if another guy is also using KM.
Join forces and take turns to use both flashes.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.
Will go wireless for now. No immediate need to upgrade yet:).
Of course, nothing beats the convenience of swivel. I will recommend potential buyer looking for the 3600HSD to serioriously consider the additional feature of the 5600HSD. Cheers.

yeah looks like i am not alone in the lack of swivel for 3600HSD ;)

but doing wireless can be quite troublesome, need to switch on/off settings. too slow for some situations.

on/off wireless for 3600 is much easier compared to 5600.

funhur said:
yeah looks like i am not alone in the lack of swivel for 3600HSD ;)

but doing wireless can be quite troublesome, need to switch on/off settings. too slow for some situations.
Turn to permanent wireless mode. Alternatively, use the cable?

Drudkh said:
on/off wireless for 3600 is much easier compared to 5600.

Why izit much easier for the 3600??

For me, just turn on the 5600, then flip my built-in flash and im ready to go. I tot its the same for both models??

there are 2 ways to turn on the wireless on 5600HS.
1) mount the flash on the cam, select wireless on the cam, dismount the flash.
2) without mounting the flash on cam, press select to go to WL press - or + to turn on/off.
on the 3600HS, you only need to press the WL button.

So that's a dedicated button for WL. KEWL!

But i guess is not much of a difference since I set WL on all the time. :)

Thx drudkh.

jsbn said:
Turn to permanent wireless mode.

will try this later when i m home, does it still works if i mount the flash back to the camera whilst in wireless mode ?

Yup, it still works. I'd forgotten to turn it back to normal ADI mode at times but it still works.

I'm not sure whether it had any bearing on the exposure though... :embrass:

AncientMariner said:
The mounting feet that came with the flash has a screw-hole that will fit most tripod head plates. Using wireless remote and mounting your flash on a ballhead on a tripod will give you all the verstility you need.
Yeah, you are right. Didn't notice the screw hole on the mounting feet. Tahnks, ffor the info.

AncientMariner said:
Thanks also, just remind me of with using the mounting feet, it can use on the "C" shape bracket.

Status
Not open for further replies.