350D or D50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not really. my friends are using a 10D and a 20D respectively. however they feel that for that price range the nikon would more value for money. i'm using a canon a85 now and am seirously considering a DSLR and i'm personally leaning towards a canon. just wanna hear opinions from all.

so the 350D beats the D70s in terms of functions and body build? i've never tried a nikon before so i can't really tell. but i've tried both the 10D and 20D. just no budget for them now. haha. i'm definately looking towards buying more lenses in future so maybe the KM5D might not be a good idea cuz the lenses are hard to find locally?

what are the 1st hand and 2nd hand prices of the 350D, D70s and KM5D locally now?

vii_haven said:
i don't have current lenses. the 350D would be my first DSLR. i'm keen on getting canon but friends have been telling me that for the price a nikon would be better. so i'm kinda stuck. i've been reading but i stilll can't decide. what are the main differences?

i presume u have used a SLR b4 (regardless of brands)? cos i get the feeling dat u've not used a SLR b4... and, if u haven't, chances are if u go and buy a DSLR, the next postings from u will be 'wat is a f-stop?', 'wat is shutter speed?', 'how come i shoot in P-mode, and all my pics come out dark?' etc... etc.. etc...

regardless of brands, its a massive spending on all sorts of camera paraphernalia - lenses, memory cards, bags, flashes, tripods etc... etc... no point asking which camera gives u better image quality etc.. etc... cos almost all DSLRs require some form of PSing (yes.. dat includes fuji folks... u do have to sharpen ur pics, rite? :p ) which means u need to spend some money getting some photoediting software. i could go on... u get the idea?

b4 we all get carried away with recommendations, perhaps the thread-starter shld reconsider and see wat he/she is going to shoot MOST OFTEN with, not HOPING to shoot most often with. more often than not, a prosumer or PnS will suffice for most folks. :)

No. D70S is better built than 350D. Larger grip than 350D makes handling feels better. But I've no prob with 350D. I guess that's the benefit of having a pair of small hands ;p

I'm sure you had done substantive research on 350D and D70s? If your budget is around the range of 350D and D70s, I would suggest looking at KM 7D instead of the 5D. All three cams have their different areas of strengths and weaknesses which you can read about. The next step is to actually get hands-on experience. Try out your short-listed cams. Borrow from friends if you can. If you can't go down to the stores which are reputed for good services. At the end of the day, you really can't go very wrong with any of the discussed cams.

I was a Nikon user (film) and after considering for sometime, I went to buy the Canon 350D today. My friends who are Canon user may have some influence on my decision but I personally feel that 350D is a better choice.

Go for it.

SGD1849 at Harvey with 2G CF, 1+2 yr warranty(insist on it) ,free tripod and bag. Good Buy.

Not that i dont support my D50, but the lack of a vertical grip on D70/s is a pain.

350D can mount vertical grip :thumbsup: Easier and more comfortable than D50/D70 in portrait shot.

vii_haven said:
if you had a choice of the two which would be the one to buy in terms of value and features and most importantly picture quality?

My choice based on features/picture quality on these 2 bodies as both are about the same depends on who you ask.

Think of it as a system you are getting into. My consideration:-

1) Choose either Nikon / Canon if you like dealing in the 2nd hand market, more users.
2) Choose KM 5D for it's value for money features like anti-shake and you don't trade lens often (it's hard to come by anyway)

I sold off my minolta SLR kits as they were late into the DSLR market back then.

What about your gang of friends, do they shoot often with their 10D/20D to offer you good advice regarding your DSLR interest?

i have used an slr before. the 10D and the 20D. and i shoot exclusively in Manual mode and aperture priority on my A85. =) i wanted more control and more features that's why i'm considering a DSLR. =) and yes, i know what's a f-stop and what's shutter speed. ;)

looks like it's probably going to be a 350D for me i guess. will probably going to read about the KM7D first.

yea. both my friends using the 10D and 20D do freelance covers and all. they've been doing that for quite a while.

My newbie advice.

Forget the freaking bodies. Nikon D2X, Nikon D200, Canon 1DS MKII, Konica Minolta 7D, 5D, Olympus E1, E500, E300 are just bodies.

If you already know what you need, you should be looking at the sytem that can give you everything you need.

- Glasses specialty, variety, range
- Speedlight system
- etc.

Bodies are depreciating and worthless in no matter of time. Build up the system instead. Save up and get your lenses, the bodies will seem so medicore and not so important anymore.

It's the system, not just the camera body.

if i can get a 350D or a 10D at around the same price, which would be a better buy? 350D cuz of digicII or 10D cuz of more functions?

vii_haven said:
if i can get a 350D or a 10D at around the same price, which would be a better buy? 350D cuz of digicII or 10D cuz of more functions?

u just answered ur own question. :)

actually, the one good thing canon did with the 350D vis-a-vis 300D was dat it din remove too much of the useful features dats found in the higher end models - eg better metering options. also, the digicII is better in high-ISO performance compared to 10D - caveat: provided u nail the exposure. even the best of the best sensor will give u noise if u mess up.

10D, while long in the tooth in tech, is still no slouch. i prefer the sturdier construction and feel of the 10D over the 350D. i had the chance to play with the 350D when it was first launched, and din really like the slightly plasticky feel to it and its small size, compared to my 10D then.

if all things being equalled, i think u shld invest in a 350D with grip cos of its newer tech. if u wish to spend more on better lenses, then a 10D with grip.

hmm..you mean the better lenses won't fit a 350D? i thought all canon lenses are a universal fit on all canon DSLRs?

vii_haven said:
hmm..you mean the better lenses won't fit a 350D? i thought all canon lenses are a universal fit on all canon DSLRs?
no..he means that you spend less on camera body and use the money that you save to invest in better lenses:)

Pranadewa said:
You may want to consider Konica Minolta 5D. Best value for money! If you are new to DSLR and not branded concious, try KM5D. I have considered Canon 300D, Nikon D70, C-350D, N-D50, eventually, after a careful consideration, KM5D is best for DSLR starter like me. The lenses are generally cheaper and quality is comparable to C and N. Actually, I am a Canon user (MiniDV, P&S DSC, SLR), but this time, I am switching to KM for many good reasons.

Many reasons that made me bought KM 5D:
1. Value for money (with 18-70 kit lens, no Nikon and Canon win).
2. AS: Anti-shake. Beautiful function for me. more satisfying as I can take better pictures.
3. Big LCD, 2.5inch - good to confirm if your image has motion blur.
4. Quality and price of Minolta lens are better and cheaper respectively

I did consider for future, hobby continuation like buying more lenses. It is harder to get Minolta lenses in Singapore, but...hei... is it not better that way, use the ones you have and start learning how to shoot while waiting for 2nd hand/ new lenses available.

That was just my experience. Whatever you buy, wish you happy shooting. :)

KM5D user here as well - I totally agree with you!!! Not to mention that other accessories are cheaper as well eg. top-range 5600 HS(D) flash is only about $500 brand new. Heard that Sony may be making DSLR using Minolta-mounts = more choices of body for Minolta users!

JediForce4ever said:
no..he means that you spend less on camera body and use the money that you save to invest in better lenses:)

:bsmilie: spot on for the master Jedi. :thumbsup:

small thing i forgot - 350D can take the new EF-s mount; ie. lenses designed by canon specifically for non-FF DSLRs (eg 1ds, 1dsmk2 and EOS 5D). the 10D can take all the EF mount lenses except EF-s. to me, no big deal cos even when i was using canon, i wuz never a big fan of EF-s lenses. reason being these lenses cannot be used on a SLR body, which i had.

Agree with nightwolf. If you're not really a "newbie" newbie, 10D might just be good enough. Sold off my 350D and 20D to get a 10D. Been surviving very well with a 10D and D60 coupled with the right lenses. Digic II is cleaner, but not much cleaner. At ISO 800 and higher, still needs Post-process for noise-reduction for commercial uses. I might as well use 10D and PP.

As for missing out on EFS for 10D, I won't say I was never disappointed. But at the end of the day, I'm way more than adequately covered with non EFS lens available to cover the same range and purpose. That's for getting Canon (also applicable for Nikon).

Status
Not open for further replies.