300D Rotary Switch Faulty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

Apr 25, 2003
Pasir Ris
Visit site
Any 300D users out there encountered this problem?

My 300D rotary switch (i.e. the one next to the shutter release button for aperture, shutter speed etc) has a problem where it sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't. E.g. in M (manual) mode, if I want to change shutter speed, I turn the dial and the first 3 clicks nothing happens and then it is OK (works) for the next few clicks then not OK (does not change shutter speed).

I have tried it with P, A modes etc - same problem.

Not sure how much Canon will charge to change that switch.

hey bro

your camera no more warranty already i presume, best is email Canon for a rough quote first, so wun get shocked at the service center hehe ;)

but then again, if it's just minor problem, maybe connections loose or something for this, shouldn't be too expensive. The expensive stuff to repair for camera is mostly the optical stuff (sensors etc) so I believe shouldn't blow ur wallet

happy shooting! :thumbsup:

Russ said:
Any 300D users out there encountered this problem?

My 300D rotary switch (i.e. the one next to the shutter release button for aperture, shutter speed etc) has a problem where it sometimes works and it sometimes doesn't. E.g. in M (manual) mode, if I want to change shutter speed, I turn the dial and the first 3 clicks nothing happens and then it is OK (works) for the next few clicks then not OK (does not change shutter speed).

I have tried it with P, A modes etc - same problem.

Not sure how much Canon will charge to change that switch.
I guess you're referring to the main control dial?
yup,get a quote from Canon first.
must be you turn it too much lar..now become liddat:bsmilie:

JediForce4ever said:
must be you turn it too much lar..now become liddat:bsmilie:
Huh! If turning it often will cause such defect, then I think that the dial is poorly made. But I would think that the problem raised by Russ could be due to a defective pulse counter/sensor.

Canew said:
Huh! If turning it often will cause such defect, then I think that the dial is poorly made. But I would think that the problem raised by Russ could be due to a defective pulse counter/sensor.
Yah, they have been using the same design for decades. Must be a one off thing.

Thanks. I looked in the manual. It is called the MAIN DIAL. Anyway, will prob live with it first and only go to Canon if it irritates me too much. Some sites say that Canon sometimes wants to change the whole top of the cam which can be costly....

Russ said:
Thanks. I looked in the manual. It is called the MAIN DIAL. Anyway, will prob live with it first and only go to Canon if it irritates me too much. Some sites say that Canon sometimes wants to change the whole top of the cam which can be costly....
Russ, no harm just giving CANON a call and get an estimated price for the repair. :)

Quote was

$120 service fee
Parts NOT included

Seems a lot esp if the problem is small.

Status
Not open for further replies.