2nd post...heart shadow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
my second post

Image taken and uploaded with NO post-processing (the only edting done some minor cropping)...I still consider my self a newbie with about 6weeks of continuous shooting during weekends. This shot was taken during my 3rd week at Botanical Garden (morning) a few hours after the rain stops.

I just pass by and noticed this shadow that looks like a heart so I decided to take a snap of it. On my part what I wanted to develop on my skills is how the way I would observe things around me and how I can capture a good shot without post-processing. I am not too sure if my composition is okay (based on my amateurish opinion, it's already ok but dunno on about the opinions of the veterans/pro) as I am concentrating on learning how to use my Nikon D80.

Hoping to get some opinion/suggestion/violent comments :sweatsm: on how can I improve taking pix esp "composition"...:sweat: thanks a lot...

463977270_a7f4ec0d22.jpg

oops some more details on my shot

Well let me comment on the exposure side first...I say that the lighting is too harsh for me
Watch how the highlight are over-exposed and giving the feeling that you should squint your eyes..

And also...post-processing is part of digital photography, heck even the old days of film we still post processed the films...post-processing is part of photography, to refine what you really want to express...
And yes you could go away without post-processing as well..

Now on the composition side, just by simply moving your object to the left or to the right doesn't make it compositionally better, you have to observe the whole scene..and then think about the composition.

I'd like to give some advice to a fellow beginner, read a lot of photography books, learn more about what your camera could do, learn more about exposure, learn more about composition, watch visual art gallery, keep shooting and good luck :)

Would the "heart" have been right-side-up it would make more sense. In this picture, i had to double-check the title to kow what on earth you were trying to show in the picture. My first reaction was that this is a macro shot and I should be looking for some hidden insect. The highlights are a bit harsh, and the red dirt in the middle of the shadow is distracting.

my second post

Image taken and uploaded with NO post-processing (the only edting done some minor cropping)...I still consider my self a newbie with about 6weeks of continuous shooting during weekends. This shot was taken during my 3rd week at Botanical Garden (morning) a few hours after the rain stops.

I just pass by and noticed this shadow that looks like a heart so I decided to take a snap of it. On my part what I wanted to develop on my skills is how the way I would observe things around me and how I can capture a good shot without post-processing. I am not too sure if my composition is okay (based on my amateurish opinion, it's already ok but dunno on about the opinions of the veterans/pro) as I am concentrating on learning how to use my Nikon D80.

Hoping to get some opinion/suggestion/violent comments :sweatsm: on how can I improve taking pix esp "composition"...:sweat: thanks a lot...

463977270_a7f4ec0d22.jpg

oops some more details on my shot

Agree. The lighting is to harsh for my liking.

My first look at the photo gave me the impression that you are trying to take a photo of something rushing by. Created some illusion of movement. If that had been your intention would probably think its a good try.

by the way, what's so interesting about a heart shaped shadow on a leaf?

(Just a personal opinion ;) )

Hrm, I was like, hmm? What is this? A camera toss? Then I read what you wrote.. :bsmilie:

You flash it or something? I don't remember ever getting such a picture even under direct sun on leaves. Hrm.

What do you aim to achieve by taking the heart shaped shadow on a leaf - that is the question, ignoring whether you have succeeded to portraying a heart-shaped shadow on a leaf? What do you intend to convey? A heart on a leaf? What does that mean? (Note: I'm not being sarcastic, I'd like to know your POV)

I don't know about composition, but this looks like a very rushed shot to me, with no inherent meaning and yes, the sole purpose seems like simply, to capture a shadow on a leaf! It doesn't work for me, because as others have pointed out, the heart shape and is not obvious, and because of the manner in which you have taken the shot, there is an idea of motion (which is not really what you would be aiming for, I guess). I am also not sure why you have included the top part of the photo in your framing.

hi all...thanks for those wonderful comments...I agree that the highlights were too strong...and yes I was actually rushing by as I have pointed out that the shots was taken a few hours (I guess 2 hrs) so there are still raindrops falling from the trees and I dont want to damage my camera with with a raindrops (economics decision) that is why I understand that most of sense that there is an illusion movement...

I guess the concept or the explanation didn't work out that much as I have pointed out that I was trying to practice my observation skill and somehow when I was passing by and looking around I have noticed this heart-shape like shadow...

Well I really appreciate your comments whether it is sarcastic :) or not as I have pointed out that I need to get someone's opinio to improve my skills...thanks a lot then...:thumbsup:

I would suggest that you could have shot from perhaps a higher angle, hence including the 'owner' of the shadow - the plant. Otherwise this picture itself, like what night86mare mentioned, does not convey anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.