2nd hand Canon EOS 450D at $700. Should I buy?

bad idea justifying your decision haha

i can tell you now that soon will come replies from each little "representative" for each brand citing away the good bits of each little brand and ultimately turning into one big flamefesttt :sweat:

so you agree with his reasoning that:

MORE PEOPLE USE = GOOD?
EXPENSIVE = GOOD?

then you shall join him in getting roasted. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I just read all of the above replies. And as I already said, I'm getting myself a Canon itself. I am not even considering a Pentax or Sony because I have never seen anybody use a Penatx DSLR. For Sony, last Saturday was the first time ever that I saw somebody shooting with a Sony DSLR. I believe Canon must be better since it is more expensive and way more people use it. I always go for quality and not price. And I think the Canon 450D is a fair enough DSLR to start with. I'm trying to get the best Canon possible that is within my budget.

Does that mean that Canon is better than Leica since Leica camera was seldom seen using by people ?

Maybe when you take a look at some of those beautiful photos, you will be surprise with what camera they used to take.

It's true that Canon & Nikon is common as they are the more popular camera brand.
Some people are brand/model conscious but at the end of the day, it's the person's skill/experience behind that really matter.

I am not even considering a Pentax or Sony because I have never seen anybody use a Penatx DSLR. For Sony, last Saturday was the first time ever that I saw somebody shooting with a Sony DSLR. I believe Canon must be better since it is more expensive and way more people use it. I always go for quality and not price. And I think the Canon 450D is a fair enough DSLR to start with. I'm trying to get the best Canon possible that is within my budget.

Since when exactly do you pay attention to other people's cameras? Since years or just since you got bitten by the idea "need to get DSLR"? I guess it's the latter one. So in this short period of time, considering the market share that Canon has compared to Pentax and also considering your limited knowledge: how likely is it that you will see a Pentax camera and how likely is it that you will recognize the camera as Pentax model? Your point of view is very narrow and your awareness is very limited when it comes to other brands. Nothing to blame you for, only for the lousy conclusion that you draw.

TS,

One piece of advice.
Get a brand new set.
Then, you wouldn't be creating these threads which I believe is pissing people off.

OMG. I didn't mean to insult any of you guys.. I may be wrong in my conclusion but I've long been contemplating a DSLR. More than one year definitely. At least 18 months. But at the time, it wasn't serious enough for me to actually start saving or checking on brands and models whatsoever. But I always had some interest in photography.

Well, I need not justify myself here. But yea, I said it already. I AM a brand/model conscious guy. I usually buy branded stuffs.

For all of you who feel insulted, there's no need to. I'm a complete newbie and my opinion and conclusion may be totally wrong, I totally agree. But if I get a Canon and when I start shooting, maybe I'll start to see what is not so great about Canon and stuffs like that. Maybe I'll then consider another brand next time I upgrade or something. But since I am newbie, I base my opinion mostly on other people's judgement. If Pentax was so much better than Canon, I should have at least saw one somewhere in our little island, right? Everyone that I know of uses Canon and Nikon.

Don't know what to write more.

If Pentax was so much better than Canon, I should have at least saw one somewhere in our little island, right? Everyone that I know of uses Canon and Nikon.

Even though currently I owned a Canon 450D, Pentax does have it's advantages too.

With regards to your question speaking from experience, I got a much better deal than the one you asked. And that time the newer model have yet to launch.

One note of advise: The equipment is only as good as it's wielder. Hope it's useful to you. :)

TS... obviously some think you are misguided/misinformed ..... but irregardless, you have still shown restraint and at least some sense of decorum in your replies to these jabs at your logic/reasonings/rationale .... get out of the kitchen while the goings still good (but do feel welcomed to hangout in this whacky community LOL) :bsmilie:

Guys, he has his biases and what not based on advertising, heresay and personal observations ("But since I am newbie, I base my opinion mostly on other people's judgement. If Pentax was so much better than Canon, I should have at least saw one somewhere in our little island, right? Everyone that I know of uses Canon and Nikon.") ... and coming from a newbie, that is valid.

so.... let it be .... as he matures as a photog over time, reads up, tries different things etc etc etc ..... he will likely understand why and what he likes in a more enlightened manner.

meanwhile I sleep soundly tonight despite the fact not a "hell-load of people out there" are seen toting a Hassy H4D-40/50 on our little island

Last edited:
If Pentax was so much better than Canon, I should have at least saw one somewhere in our little island, right? Everyone that I know of uses Canon and Nikon.

Im a Sony user, so im unbias to either Canon or Pentax. Lets talk about facts rather than bashing here and there.

Canon 450D is a fine camera, no doubt about it. But its an old model, and even discountinued by Canon themselves. As fast as technology goes, newer stuffs are likely better than older ones of similar value.

Lets compare performance of the Canon 450D vs Pentax k-x

Canon 450D (2nd hand) $700, adding in lens probably near $800
Pentax k-x brand new $7xx comes with lens

DXO mark test performance of the 2 cameras.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...45|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Pentax

A total of 5 test catagory was conducted. Lets see how they fare against each other.

ISO sensitivity:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Noise performance:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Dynamic Range:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Tonal Range:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Colour Sensitivity:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Overall score:
Canon 450D: 60.6 / 100
Pentax k-x : 71.9 / 100

Out of 5 tests, Canon 450D wins in 0 out of 5 of them.

Ok enough of the tests. Here are the technical specs (i'll show only the significant ones)
Canon 450D vs Pentax k-x

Sensor size: Bigger = better
22.2 x 14.8 mm (3.28 cm²) vs 23.6 x 15.8 mm (3.72 cm²)

Pixel Density: Smaller the better
3.7 MP/cm² vs 3.3 MP/cm²

ISO sensitivity: bigger range = better, usually
100-1600 vs 100 - 12800

Drive/shooting speed: faster the better
3.5fps vs 4.7fps

Video mode
no video mode vs Yes, 24fps

Well ultimately its ur money, not mine. However u must know that u are spending more money buying a 2nd hand DSLR (which might hv unknown problems which u will not be able to find out until u get home, and by then is too late), when there's a much better DSLR which cost lesser and its brand new somemore.

Last edited:
I am not even considering a Pentax or Sony because I have never seen anybody use a Penatx DSLR. For Sony, last Saturday was the first time ever that I saw somebody shooting with a Sony DSLR. I believe Canon must be better since it is more expensive and way more people use it.

Ahhh, U reminded me of a story.

I heard of this guy who strike 1.5million Toto money recently.

He wanted to buy a car, and saw someone selling a 2nd hand Toyota Corolla for 1.3million (yeah I know its crazy, but the seller was entitled to sell at whatever price he wants).

Alot of people was telling him "WTF! Why do u wanna buy a Toyota Corolla for 1.3million? Its overpriced!!! Moreover, although its a good car, its an old model already. Nowadays got so many new cars which performs much better. You might as well use $1million to buy a Ferrari even better!"

But then that guy said "But hor, Ive never seen anyone driving a Ferrari leh. My friends all drive Toyota and Honda one. So I believe Toyota must be better than Ferrari la, since its more expensive (the 2nd hand EVO II which the seller wanna sell for 1.3mil) and wayyyy more people drive Toyota than Ferrari!!!"

I ROFL when I hear him say that :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

PS: This has nothing to do with TS or anyone here. Im just relating a story Ive heard, thats all :)

Last edited:
Love is blind. TS has deeply fallen in love with 450D

So yeahh give TS a break to fulfill his 18 month dream :lovegrin:

One note of advise: The equipment is only as good as it's wielder. Hope it's useful to you. :)

Love this reply. :cool:

Anyway, each to it's own isn't it? :dunno: TS should just grab one that you like, go out & start shooting! realised your dream.. :thumbsup:

Btw i'm a newbie myself! dun flame me! I'm just passing by.. :p

Im a Sony user, so im unbias to either Canon or Pentax. Lets talk about facts rather than bashing here and there.

Canon 450D is a fine camera, no doubt about it. But its an old model, and even discountinued by Canon themselves. As fast as technology goes, newer stuffs are likely better than older ones of similar value.

Lets compare performance of the Canon 450D vs Pentax k-x

Canon 450D (2nd hand) $700, adding in lens probably near $800
Pentax k-x brand new $7xx comes with lens

DXO mark test performance of the 2 cameras.
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/en...45|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Canon/(brand2)/Pentax

A total of 5 test catagory was conducted. Lets see how they fare against each other.

ISO sensitivity:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Noise performance:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Dynamic Range:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Tonal Range:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Colour Sensitivity:
Winner - Pentax k-x

Overall score:
Canon 450D: 60.6 / 100
Pentax k-x : 71.9 / 100

Out of 5 tests, Canon 450D wins in 0 out of 5 of them.

Ok enough of the tests. Here are the technical specs (i'll show only the significant ones)
Canon 450D vs Pentax k-x

Sensor size: Bigger = better
22.2 x 14.8 mm (3.28 cm²) vs 23.6 x 15.8 mm (3.72 cm²)

Pixel Density: Smaller the better
3.7 MP/cm² vs 3.3 MP/cm²

ISO sensitivity: bigger range = better, usually
100-1600 vs 100 - 12800

Drive/shooting speed: faster the better
3.5fps vs 4.7fps

Video mode
no video mode vs Yes, 24fps

Well ultimately its ur money, not mine. However u must know that u are spending more money buying a 2nd hand DSLR (which might hv unknown problems which u will not be able to find out until u get home, and by then is too late), when there's a much better DSLR which cost lesser and its brand new somemore.

Thanks for taking the time to compare the 2 cameras. However, I am still going for a Canon 450D or a 500D if i get a good enough deal at the last minute.

Can I ask what camera you're using?

Even though currently I owned a Canon 450D, Pentax does have it's advantages too.

With regards to your question speaking from experience, I got a much better deal than the one you asked. And that time the newer model have yet to launch.

I agree with this too.

Love is blind. TS has deeply fallen in love with 450D

So yeahh give TS a break to fulfill his 18 month dream :lovegrin:

Yeah, it's kind of a dream for me to own a Canon DSLR. :)

OMG. I didn't mean to insult any of you guys.. I may be wrong in my conclusion but I've long been contemplating a DSLR. More than one year definitely. At least 18 months. But at the time, it wasn't serious enough for me to actually start saving or checking on brands and models whatsoever. But I always had some interest in photography.

Well, I need not justify myself here. But yea, I said it already. I AM a brand/model conscious guy. I usually buy branded stuffs.

For all of you who feel insulted, there's no need to. I'm a complete newbie and my opinion and conclusion may be totally wrong, I totally agree. But if I get a Canon and when I start shooting, maybe I'll start to see what is not so great about Canon and stuffs like that. Maybe I'll then consider another brand next time I upgrade or something. But since I am newbie, I base my opinion mostly on other people's judgement. If Pentax was so much better than Canon, I should have at least saw one somewhere in our little island, right? Everyone that I know of uses Canon and Nikon.

Don't know what to write more.

TS,

Although the replies may sound harsh, you have to realize one thing - They are answering your question: " 2nd hand Canon EOS 450D at $700. Should I buy?". Their answer is NO. It is not worth it, and is 1 generation older at this moment, and will be 2 generations older in a few days when 550D comes out. They are also saying NO, because the camera is 18 months old and average life of modern electronics is not as long as those mechanical film cameras.

I know it is your money, and I respect your decision ultimately. But I just want to remind you that the playing field is level now, in terms of technology, and pricing has indeed come down a lot. Performance between brands are more or less the same. The thing to watch out for is older versus newer technology. Though harsh sounding, the advice from the other CSers is to look at other options. They have gone down the road before. Sure, you do not have the experience, but they do. You asked a question, and they answered it. You may not like what they say but take those advice into account. But ultimately it is your decision. Go ahead and buy it if you so wishes. And I really wish you well and welcome you to the community.

If you still want my opinion, it is simple:

1. the 450D body at 700 is definitely not worth it. 18 months old, extended warranty is unknown. If the extended warranty is from a 3rd party, I can tell you it will be a huge hassle trying to get any sort of warranty work. Also, 550D is around the corner, it is already selling in China. So this will push the price of 500D down and 450D down even more. Maybe you should wait a couple of weeks to see how the pricing go, when a flood of used 500D hits the market.

2. If you want to stick to Canon, it is fine. Everyone has their preferences. Thing is, if you are so tight on budget, maybe you want to wait a while more and save up a little more. Get a new one if you are unsure of how to check a 2nd hand camera. Why? if you get a camera and it breaks, you will feel a lot worse, especially if you have to fork out money to get it fixed.

3. You still have to buy a lens to use on this particular body. Meaning, you have to pay more. And to save money, you have to buy a used lens as well. What if that lens has issues, or if it breaks? Personally, I will never buy used lenses unless they are from people I know and I know they take care of their stuff. Unless it is a very cheap piece of lens I might take the risk. But reading your posts, it seems you can't take this risk as your budget is tight.

Summary:
You should not be looking at the price and cost of the purchase. You should actually look at the bigger picture, which is the Total cost of Ownership. If you think properly, buying a new set with kit lens for you may be the cheapest in the long run. Unless you know what you are doing when you are buying 2nd hand, I advise you to stay clear of used stuff.

Anyway, these are just my advice to you. I've tons of experience buying used stuff online in USA, China and Singapore. I've had good and bad experiences. But all my purchases are calculated risk. If your budget is as tight as you said it is, you are very risk adverse and you have to be really careful.

Good luck in your hunt.

Last edited:
Yikes, quite an entertaining thread!

TS - just get ur camera, the one you're satisfied with, and get out there and use the darn thing :) I'm sure I speak for everyone when saying we'd be much happier seeing your take on the world by way of your photos than your view on Brand A v's Brand B.

And I also think that an informed and personalized opinion on which camera/lens combination suits you can only come from time spent in the field learning how to use a dslr, what style of photography you like and what you value in your equipmnt (weight, sturdiness, manual controls etc etc) and so on. Lastly, don't agonise over the decision; if you've saved up for it and so can afford it, just do it. You'll probably want to upgrade/change within a year anyway :)

Get out there, bro, and show us what you can do with your camera. Looking forward to seeing your photos. Maybe do an APAD project, like many of us do, just fir fun

Have you bought one yet?

Cheers, Ben

Can I ask what camera you're using?

Sony A350 and A550, just a few weeks ago I sold off my Minolta 7D (need to get some cash to buy lenses, no choice)

I know u will say Minolta 7D sure not good DSLR, cos U never seen anyone using it before:sweat:

And I forgot to add:

In responding to BnS ads, please try to bargin a bit. Most sellers will post the pricing above their desired selling price because they expect people to bargain.

aiyo canon 450D u sure u want to buy?
i take pentax k-x out happily shoot at iso 3200 with little noise..while you are stuck at iso 800 if grainy and blur shots. muahahah.

so you agree with his reasoning that:

MORE PEOPLE USE = GOOD?
EXPENSIVE = GOOD?

then you shall join him in getting roasted. :thumbsup:

lecia = expensive = good
number of ppl use = very little = very lously

good + very lously = so so la...

rolex = exp = good
no of ppl use = very little = very lously

rolex = so so watch la...better dun buy...

high end casio = average price = average
no of ppl use = alot = very good
so casio = good.

casio better than rolex. =)