2010.08.31 New Olympus m4/3 Lenses

My magic 8-ball is telling me that Olympus is trying to position 4/3 and m4/3 so that they don't cannibalise each other. At least in the near future.

m4/3 -----> consumer grade

4/3 -----> professional/serious amateur

I don't particularly agree with this strategy - I would love to see f2.8-3.5 m4/3 zooms, software corrected or not, for the interest of size.

As it stands I can't see myself chucking 4/3 for m4/3 (not when my E-1 and 12-60mm is working so well - shot the entire 3 month NDP training cycle with that combo).

So if you want faster lenses, then gotta go Panny.

Or Cosina, eheheheh.

As it stands I can't see myself chucking 4/3 for m4/3 (not when my E-1 and 12-60mm is working so well - shot the entire 3 month NDP training cycle with that combo).

Drakon, glad to know that you're still using your E-1 after so many years. I remember reading your thread then when I was looking at the E-1.:cool:

Drakon, glad to know that you're still using your E-1 after so many years. I remember reading your thread then when I was looking at the E-1.:cool:

Got arm-twisted into using it - my E3's metering accuracy -1EV and below kicked the bucket.

But kinda glad that it happened, or else I wouldn't be able to get direct out of cam dramatics like this:

P7317545.jpg

My magic 8-ball is telling me that Olympus is trying to position 4/3 and m4/3 so that they don't cannibalise each other. At least in the near future.

m4/3 -----> consumer grade

4/3 -----> professional/serious amateur

I don't particularly agree with this strategy - I would love to see f2.8-3.5 m4/3 zooms, software corrected or not, for the interest of size.

So if you want faster lenses, then gotta go Panny.

Or Cosina, eheheheh.

Yup, looks like the only good now for the m4/3 bodies is to be used with the MMF-2 and current 4/3 lens line up for good glass.

PEN is bringing in the dough for the company, and I think in a way recouping the costs for the Four Thirds project. So PEN development, regardless where it is going, is going to be focused on the consumer market.

Whatever the direction the Four Thirds platform is becoming, we will have an idea come Photokina. Faster AF, that is for sure, firmware is going to bring out better gradation and colors from the new sensor. Doubt there is going to be a new lens out for 4/3 platform unless the grossly overdue 100+mm Macro is going to see the day of light. Sigma will kill someone in Olympus if it does. For zooms, I think the range is pretty much complete. Primes? Hmmm....

Is it really worth the while to use 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies? I get the impression that the weight balance is horrible.

Is it really worth the while to use 4/3 lenses on m4/3 bodies? I get the impression that the weight balance is horrible.

It feels alright to me, depends on what lens, since I use mainly my 14-54,occasionally 7-14 and on rare occasions, my 50 or 50-200, it isn't that bad,I tried mounting the 300mm, biggest laugh I had on that day, it looks funny, and I had to use a tripod to shoot since I can't support the lens and compose and focus to shoot :bsmilie:

I think it's worth it only if you have a 4/3 system as well. I came from a totally different system. I dont think I will buy any 4/3 lenses for my m4/3.

Believe it or not, the 14-54mm MkII is the best companion to the PEN E-P1/2. The balance is perfect. That is my favourite combination (for those who remembered me carrying that combo during photowalks of the past.)

The 12-60mm is still ok, but somehow I feel the balance is best with the 14-54mm.

It becomes ridiculous with the 50-200mm mounted, and anything bigger would look really funny...

"Where did you buy that camera looking lens rear cap?" someone might ask. :bsmilie:

According to Dpreview, the 75-300 lens cost 899 Euro. That's expensive! :bigeyes:

wait til Pany announces the price for their 100-300mm. i'd be surprised if its cheaper hehe

wait til Pany announces the price for their 100-300mm. i'd be surprised if its cheaper hehe

I think likely the same price, but then, I won't be too surprised if Panasonic aimed to have the 100-300mm lens to supplement the 14-140mm which was aimed at video applications. Which means AFC etc. etc.

Believe it or not, the 14-54mm MkII is the best companion to the PEN E-P1/2. The balance is perfect. That is my favourite combination (for those who remembered me carrying that combo during photowalks of the past.)

The 12-60mm is still ok, but somehow I feel the balance is best with the 14-54mm.

It becomes ridiculous with the 50-200mm mounted, and anything bigger would look really funny...

"Where did you buy that camera looking lens rear cap?" someone might ask. :bsmilie:

Maybe I ought to scout around for a 12-60mm.

My Panasonic 14-140mm suits me for now, so the 14-54mm is kinda redundant. :S

Last edited:
ha...but i wonder how will it be like using the 75-300 handheld without mega OIS. I use the panny 45-200 on my EP-2, even with OIS, it's already a little difficult handheld when not using the EVF.

In body IS is useful but it doesn't help to stabilise the viewfinder/LCD view when shooting, so shooting at 300mm maybe quite a challenge!