1st Nighshot Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endless23

Nov 26, 2009
Sengkang
This is my 1st testing night shot please advise on how i can improve. PLease C & C

1 ISO 200 F16 30sec
8803340_ea2a48b100_b.jpg

2 ISO 1600 F3.5 -1 (Merge from 2 photos + NR in PS )
8803398_e9bcd4a7e2_b.jpg

3 ISO 400 F10 2.5sec
8803503_5f11c01162_b.jpg

4 ISO 400 F10 2.5sec
8803511_0208b4256c_b.jpg

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
well. i gotta say. this is good. composition, exposure all very nicely done. i like the way the first 2 shots are framed. i first thing notice is boats then background.

second pic u might wanna cut down on the iso, 1600 on 500d is too high for comfort. if u can do a 2.5 sec exposure, i see no reason why iso 100 shld hurt u so much

Hi,

Nice shot!
MInd to share what W/B, Mode (Tv,Av,M), picture style, any adjustment contrast, sharpness,saturation?
Any post processing you did on you photo?
I also using 500D still learning how to take night view.... thanks

Hi Iccwinston

the settings are located on top of the photo the W/B is set to Auto and in Av mode
As i'm still learning also i find that the 1st pic i will go for ISO 400 to get more reflection on the water next time.

As i have a few shots taken on ISO 100 but the water look dead and dull with a patch of light and not the boat's reflection. ( as the water is moving alot that night)

As for the 2nd shot its is corrected by photoshop, merge from 2 photo to make a widescreen effect and some NR , Curves done on it. its a testing shot. ( Moving waters in 2nd shot but iso too high ) I still dun know how to get clear moving water and at a lower ISO

As for the 3rd and 4th shot i somehow found something is missing but i dun know what.

Last edited:
With longer exposure, the water will look more dull and calm. But some people like it that way as it gives the water a dreamy look when the wave splashes on the rocks and appears to be calm in your photos.

to get clear moving water at a lower iso, you will need to have bigger aperture and faster shutter speed.

For pic 3, I feel that the exposure is correct but the lights are too bright. This picture's composition looks better compared to pic 4.

For pic 4, the boat on the left was cut off and there is too much sky in your picture and the sky is dark and not interesting. You might want to bring it down and get more details of the water. There is also no foreground to lead you in the picture comparing to the 3rd picture where the railings lead you into the picture. You should also take the picture in landscape and I believe it will be nicer.

Last edited:
Hi kohanson,

Thanks for the feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.