1D2 issue

BJT

Mar 13, 2004
Hi, my 1D2 got this bright long horizontal patches recently on all Tv/P/M/Av modes and ISO. However the brightness seems following the exposure of the frame.

does anybody got any idea what's wrong with it before I send it back to Canon.

http://gallery.clubsnap.com/data/500/1D_mk2_bright_line_2.jpg

Rgds,

just a few things..

1. first thing I notice is the many dust bunnies.

2. The shape of the long horizontal patch looks like one piece of the shutter blade. it looks like a shutter failure, or the controller unit controlling the shutter unit is spoilt.

the replacement cost of the shutter unit may make it not worth it to repair it though....

hmmm.... I thought the shutter unit is usually quite reasonably priced compared to the cost of a camera, such as the 1D series. But then again, the 1D2 is rather old, not quite sure of the pricing now

just a few things..

1. first thing I notice is the many dust bunnies.

2. The shape of the long horizontal patch looks like one piece of the shutter blade. it looks like a shutter failure, or the controller unit controlling the shutter unit is spoilt.

the replacement cost of the shutter unit may make it not worth it to repair it though....

thanks guys for sharing the info and comment.
I inspected the shutter blade in the mirror box and the shutter seems ok and no stuck blades so I'm contacting Canon Service for comment of the possible root cause and to give an estimate.

Hi guys! I went to canon recently and they says that they no longer service 1DM2 anymore as there is no more parts..

Hi guys! I went to canon recently and they says that they no longer service 1DM2 anymore as there is no more parts..

This is crap excuse by Canon... I'm sure they can order the required parts from japan. It's only 2 generations old.

This is crap excuse by Canon... I'm sure they can order the required parts from japan. It's only 2 generations old.

Not really. It's a 2005 product. 8 years old already. We have the x, iv, iii... it's 4 generations old.

I just got their email last week asking me to send in the camera for check as they can't tell what's damaged by looking at the pic at above link.
I was also told the repair cost is $185 before GST and material/part :) but no mentioning of end of service for this camera, will send the camera for estimate tomorrow.

good luck at CSC!
I just got their email last week asking me to send in the camera for check as they can't tell what's damaged by looking at the pic at above link.
I was also told the repair cost is $185 before GST and material/part :) but no mentioning of end of service for this camera, will send the camera for estimate tomorrow.

Not really. It's a 2005 product. 8 years old already. We have the x, iv, iii... it's 4 generations old.

Oops missed out the 1dx lol. Just saw TS's positive update from CSC. Phew!

It is going to be costly even if the parts are available if you weigh the price of a 1d2 at market value today. I need to send in one of my 1Ds3 for replacement of shutter. Think they quoted me some around S$450 or so. The price has gone up as a couple of months back the last quote I got was around $380. Should have replaced by then. :(

Update: went Canon Service this afternoon. They confirmed it was shutter issue and need replacement but they have no more support for this model as no more part available. If I want they can try to check with Japan side and the estimated cost with part + GST ~$480 subject to part availability :-(

hi bjt, look for fatiuge here at CS. he can help you for that. if not mistaken his price is reasonable enough. hope your 1dm2 will be revive.cheers

Maybe can check if The Camera Hospital has parts?

ricleo had pointed me a link to ebay for part but CSC will not accept such service.

hi bjt, look for fatiuge here at CS. he can help you for that. if not mistaken his price is reasonable enough. hope your 1dm2 will be revive.cheers

I can;t find this user name here, can he do the repair?

Bro, i think its better to use this opportunity to get a new camera instead.... Dont get me wrong, 1d2's built is still very good, but the sensor wise pales in comparison to even the entry models (which have even better iso performance & of course higher megapixels). Can also try getting a 2nd hand 1d mark iv, much better than 1d2 and at a rather ok price of approx 3.8k