18 - 180mm Lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusK

Mar 15, 2007
Anyone who owned this lens, can please share your experience.
If better attached on an E-500 system
Thanks!!:)

hi MarcusK,
got the lens for abt a year..
Would say this lens is good as a general purpose lens.
I used this lens for wedding, street shooting and scenery. Not the sharpest lens but good enuff. :)
some sample pics for u to see:

292302394_9a854f9c7f_b.jpg

290587283_7601eba865_b.jpg

507805415_af0f1d32cc.jpg

I have moved this thread to the Four Thirds section as all Olympus DSLR threads are usually discussed in this section as it involves the other cameras using the same format as well, namely Panasonic and Leica.

You will get more responses in here anyway.

Please look through the threads too, as the 18-180mm has been discussed in here before. Cheers and happy shooting.

Those who have updated information on the lens please feel free to share.

thanks for the samples!!
Will like to know more about this lens as I just bought it before the GST hike last month.
:)

I got it for $725 @ Ms Color, but that was like one year ago...price likely to have change...

I got it for a much better deal. But price not allowed to be posted as this price was given by a close friend who is working in similiar shop.
Well, anyway, that price i got was before GST increment. So after GST increment, I not sure what's the best price I can get.
If interested I can check n place order for u.

I got it for a much better deal. But price not allowed to be posted as this price was given by a close friend who is working in similiar shop.
Well, anyway, that price i got was before GST increment. So after GST increment, I not sure what's the best price I can get.
If interested I can check n place order for u.

I just want to say a "thank you" for being sensitive to such matters (posting special prices online) and taking it to PM and yet bother to help another person in the community get the best deals. This is the spirit which I hope we can all follow within the Four Thirds community.

Salute for such community spirit. Thank you.

dun mention it...

i tried it before this is mainly for travelling and a all in one lens

i tried it before this is mainly for travelling and a all in one lens

Spazzer, u speak my heart out. Yah... I decided on this lens is becos I believe in the near future I'll be travelling quite a bit more with my gf. Already gone to Phuket and Hanoi. And done a lot of shots with my kit lens that time during the trip to Hanoi and realise that with 2 lens on the move, is kinda difficult at times when u see things in a distance and u wanna shoot them. By the time u change your lens, the object might be long gone before u get a chance to even point at it. That's why I got it in a rush without even seek opinion until I got it. Another reason is becos of the increase in GST. Hahaha... and gosh... MacDonald $0.50 ice-cream also up their price liao... sianz...

I got it for $725 @ Ms Color, but that was like one year ago...price likely to have change...

Wah... seems like an arm & leg to me... i surely need to save 3mths to 4mths for this... i bought a cheaper alternative abt 1.5yrs ago when i had E-330... sigma 18-125mm... only higher end of $300++... half the price of this Olympus 18-180mm.

Wah... seems like an arm & leg to me... i surely need to save 3mths to 4mths for this... i bought a cheaper alternative abt 1.5yrs ago when i had E-330... sigma 18-125mm... only higher end of $300++... half the price of this Olympus 18-180mm.

Haa well... i save up quite a while for it. Actually was looking for cheaper alternatives but then, was decided after reading review from here: http://www.popphoto.com/cameralenses/2695/lens-test-olympus-zuiko-digital-ed-18-180mm-f35-63-af.html

Anyone who owned this lens, can please share your experience.
If better attached on an E-500 system
Thanks!!:)

Is this an Olympus Zuiko lens??

Alright... here's some personal review about this lens.
Personally, I like the range of this lens initally as I think getting 2 lens of different zooms range is a hassle when you are out walking from place to place shooting practically almost everything that catches your attention.
But, after yesterday trip to Sentosa (got free Cable Car ride etc...) I realise, this isn't the best len after all. When you are at the outdoor, yes, it do wonders with that zoom capturing images from distance away. But when u step into indoor (could be due to weather etc that force you into indoor), you are dead. The len's angle is not wide enough. As your angles are being constraint by the space available. Also, the quality wasn't that appealing (This could be due to my skill level not enough).
Aperture, I can't comment much as I know what I've paid for is not going to get much out of it.
To round up, if u really wanna do a good shot with your existing E500 System and not intend to spend much on it, u might wanna keep the 2 kit lens that comes along with the camera as I realise, the wide angle is very useful and the long len is sufficient enough to stretch the distance. Also, both kit lens can share the same filter if u are on budget.
(Hope this is informative to those who intend to get this len.)

Well this is call a learning process. Not too long back when I first started into dSLR, this lens was in my preferred list also but after several reviews, I settled for the 11-22 instead. I was using the 2 lens kit for about 8 months before replacing the 14-45 with a 14-54. That was also some kind soul here was changing system and wanted to sell of the lens. As mentioned, the preferred setup would be the 7-14, 14-54 and 50-200 but unfortunately not many have a sugar daddy that would help finance that. Tried substituting the 40-150 with the cheaper Sigma's offering (55-200) also ended up in a huge disappointment.

Agree with MarcusK on the indoor performance of this lens....
But one thing, for the price, think we are paying more for the range rather than the quality here..but think it is still better than sigma 55-200mm :)

Well this is call a learning process. Not too long back when I first started into dSLR, this lens was in my preferred list also but after several reviews, I settled for the 11-22 instead. I was using the 2 lens kit for about 8 months before replacing the 14-45 with a 14-54. That was also some kind soul here was changing system and wanted to sell of the lens. As mentioned, the preferred setup would be the 7-14, 14-54 and 50-200 but unfortunately not many have a sugar daddy that would help finance that. Tried substituting the 40-150 with the cheaper Sigma's offering (55-200) also ended up in a huge disappointment.

Funny thing.I also think of 18-180 at the start but now change mind already.

Intially i was about to get the 18-180mm lens cos of its range.. but i gave it a miss cos of the reviews i read.. instead i got the 14-54mm then the 40-150mm lens.

Status
Not open for further replies.