17-40mm F4L Lens hood question

Status
Not open for further replies.

topster

Nov 22, 2005
Hello 17-40 F4L owners, how well does your lens hoods sit on your lens?

I didnt think there was any problem with my lens hood till i tried my friend's 17-85mm IS and the hood felt so tight and snug.

I wouldnt say my 17-40 L's hood is flimsy but it just doesnt feel snug. Please share your thoughts on this.

Have Not tried the 17-85mm , but my 17-40mm fit quite nicely, not as tight as my other nikon lens though!

Mine's ok - same tightness compared to my 70-200, was tighter when new, but after a period time of mounting and dismounting the hood, it became a little loose. Shouldn't be a problem as long as it doesn't drop off.

great feedback guys! pretty much confirms there's nothing wrong with my goods, and like mpenza, mine has been getting quite seasoned with use

I rely on my hood immensely. My butter fingers goes everywhere and the hood has saved me countless time.

It's not so much for the flare as for the protective factor. I dont think i could have survied Chinatown without my hood swimming in the crowd.

If you're using your 17-40L on a 1.6x crop body, do yourself a favour and get the 24L's hood for it instead. It's not as wide, deeper (more protection against stuff touching the lens element/filter) and tighter (abit too tight at times though). No adverse effects like vignetting at all. Downside? Canon hoods are crazy expensive :( Cost me about $60 at TCW IIRC. Worth it though, IMHO.

Great idea Denosha. Im seriously considering your suggestion. Btw, how do i know which alternate hoods will fit?

Err.. Like I've mentioned, get the EF 24mm F1.4 L's hood (EW-83DII). My cousin and I both use it on our 17-40s. It's the one recommended on the DPreview forums as well. Anyway, the guy at TCW knows what you need it for (which is why they bring it in at the first place. How many people have 24Ls and need spare hoods anyway? :) )

Denosha said:
Anyway, the guy at TCW knows what you need it for (which is why they bring it in at the first place. How many people have 24Ls and need spare hoods anyway? :) )

Heh, good point. And Mpenza, thx for the tip, ill have to search around for the EW-83H to see if it works better than the EW-83DII

anybody know of a good site to have a look at the different hoods available?

Status
Not open for further replies.