14-24

hi fevernova,

i’d love to be able to own them. i’m battling with buying the new lens or getting a new imac one day.
u're using a FX sensor aint u?
the perspective is incredible, perhaps u should get it! ;)

I don't know if I should get it....Still not very good at getting things right with it....Landscapes look really bad cause you need to make sure the shot is perfectly leveled.....:confused:

fevernova - the way you use to recover the sky & clouds is giving the image a HDR look. Rather on the fake side. You might want to consider this before purchase.

Don't know what method you used - exposed for the sky and fill in for shadow? for expose for shadow and recover sky? Suggest you try the first method if what you did was the latter

fevernova - the way you use to recover the sky & clouds is giving the image a HDR look. Rather on the fake side. You might want to consider this before purchase.

Don't know what method you used - exposed for the sky and fill in for shadow? for expose for shadow and recover sky? Suggest you try the first method if what you did was the latter

Thanks for the inputs! Not sure which method I did cause I just randomly tweaked the colours till I was satisfied with it but I felt that I overdid it a little....

The original image looked rather flat...
148gdph.jpg

Compared to the tweaked one...
2expogn.jpg

Anyway, not sure if I down scaled the image too much after PP or what, but the PP'ed image is lacking in quality...Can see artifacts popping out in the sky....Nonetheless, the 14-24mm is heck of a lens to play with! Great fun since its my first time shooting with such Wide angles!

hi guys.. i've bought it, although i agree that it is quite difficult to use and extremely difficult to protect, i am loving it.. cheers.. thx for all of u who have contribute opinions and feedbacks, appreciated..

Anyway, not sure if I down scaled the image too much after PP or what, but the PP'ed image is lacking in quality...Can see artifacts popping out in the sky....Nonetheless, the 14-24mm is heck of a lens to play with! Great fun since its my first time shooting with such Wide angles!

Good to know that you rent the lens. Yes, there's always people talking about how many times they use this kind of lens to justify their purchase. But you rented the lens, and how do you feel about it? Quite frankly you mentioned getting the 16-35.. Maybe you could also rent it and see if using 16-35 is different from 14-24?

Personally I've the Olympus version of 14-24 in the form of Zuiko 7-14 and I must say, even though I have brought it out like less than 10 times since its purchase, I really liked that lens. Sample image of its wideness usage:

4451170804_eaf8cdcdcb_o.jpg

4451171230_f41d5a7d26_o.jpg

4451171712_40ab449de3_o.jpg

So it really depends. Maybe it takes time to get used to the 14-24. A few days of rental may not be enough. Only you know what you want at the end. :)

I know what you mean. But that's more of a photo critique I guess. ;p

Good to know that you rent the lens. Yes, there's always people talking about how many times they use this kind of lens to justify their purchase. But you rented the lens, and how do you feel about it? Quite frankly you mentioned getting the 16-35.. Maybe you could also rent it and see if using 16-35 is different from 14-24?

Personally I've the Olympus version of 14-24 in the form of Zuiko 7-14 and I must say, even though I have brought it out like less than 10 times since its purchase, I really liked that lens. Sample image of its wideness usage:

So it really depends. Maybe it takes time to get used to the 14-24. A few days of rental may not be enough. Only you know what you want at the end. :)

Its interesting but I find myself needing to get really close to the subject sometimes because too much gets into the shot.

The sharpness is great and in all honesty, I find that it doesn't really matter even if it had an f-stop of 2.8. Most of the time I'm stopping it down to at least 4 or more in fact.

Protection can be quite a pain in the ass but I've seen neoprene lens cover on B&H and apparently, Cathay stocks them too so with that over and the lens at 24mm, you'll get pretty much all the protection you need.

I did bring it to the temple this afternoon but didn't manage to get shots because photography wasn't allowed inside and there were too many people with joss sticks around which was a little dangerous...

I find myself constantly trying to zoom in more when in fact I'm already at 24mm. But then again, i find myself shooting at the widest angle sometimes...Hard choice seriously. Will probably have to get my hands on the 16-35 for a couple of days before I pull the plug...

I know what you mean. But that's more of a photo critique I guess. ;p

Yeah, I guess so too. After using the 14-24mm that I was so tempted to buy, I was no longer so tempted in getting one. The weight is seriously no joke and going around without a filter is a PITA...

Yeah, I guess so too. After using the 14-24mm that I was so tempted to buy, I was no longer so tempted in getting one. The weight is seriously no joke and going around without a filter is a PITA...

Haha. For me the weight problem is a non-issue. 1. I carry 2 cameras that (w their lens attach) total up to around 2.5kg on each shoulder. Used to it. 2. I don't mind carrying heavy stuff if the image quality makes up for it.
Also I have a PA to help me lug around stuff for ALL shoots (and if the shoot is large more than 1 person)

Filter wise, there are 2 reasons you might want one - for protection and for effects.
Effects wise I won't be worried. A D90 (and upwards) has such a high dynamic range you can fix it in PS. Especially if you expose for the highlights, there is incredible shadow detail.
Protection wise, I am not too worried either, the glass on the lens is more hardy than what most people think. However, if you are going to shoot by the sea or in the rain, then yes, it's tad troublesome.

Personally I shoot real wide and since I work with 2 bodies, I can afford to plonk a 13mm lens on. (I saw a 2nd hand one at peninsula plaza area, real bargain at its price). If you think 14mm is wide wait till you see the Nikon 13mm..

oh yeah. There is the Sigma 12-24mm as well. :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

Haha. For me the weight problem is a non-issue. 1. I carry 2 cameras that (w their lens attach) total up to around 2.5kg on each shoulder. Used to it. 2. I don't mind carrying heavy stuff if the image quality makes up for it.
Also I have a PA to help me lug around stuff for ALL shoots (and if the shoot is large more than 1 person)

Filter wise, there are 2 reasons you might want one - for protection and for effects.
Effects wise I won't be worried. A D90 (and upwards) has such a high dynamic range you can fix it in PS. Especially if you expose for the highlights, there is incredible shadow detail.
Protection wise, I am not too worried either, the glass on the lens is more hardy than what most people think. However, if you are going to shoot by the sea or in the rain, then yes, it's tad troublesome.

Personally I shoot real wide and since I work with 2 bodies, I can afford to plonk a 13mm lens on. (I saw a 2nd hand one at peninsula plaza area, real bargain at its price). If you think 14mm is wide wait till you see the Nikon 13mm..

oh yeah. There is the Sigma 12-24mm as well. :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

I want an assistant too! :bsmilie::sweat: But yeah, it was scary trying to shield the front element from all that smoke and people when I was at the temple today....:sweat:

Anyway, you're making me itch for it! Too bad I didn't bring it along back to my Hostel because the return date is on Tuesday and I won't be going back home till Wednesday thus I got my old man to return it for me....

hi guys.. i've bought it, although i agree that it is quite difficult to use and extremely difficult to protect, i am loving it.. cheers.. thx for all of u who have contribute opinions and feedbacks, appreciated..

There is not need to make any special attempt to protect the front element. The coating is tougher than most people think and worries about not being able to protect the lens is more of paranoia rather than factual. Treat the lens like how you would treat your other lenses.

hi all,,

where can i rent the 14-24mmm len? cost per day ?

:)

hi all,,

where can i rent the 14-24mmm len? cost per day ?

:)

Camera Rental Centre. Google it. They have a website. Its about $98 for 5 days since they allow you to collect 1 day ahead of your stipulated rental date and return it a day later.

Camera Rental Centre. Google it. They have a website. Its about $98 for 5 days since they allow you to collect 1 day ahead of your stipulated rental date and return it a day later.

Bro, i thought u ard had ur eyes fixed on the 16-35? Still can't rid ur thought of 14-24? :bsmilie:

I just got my copy of this lens yesterday. It's a fantastic display of Nikon's quality. I have found my FX lens combo with this now. :)

Some thoughts on wide glass in general...

I own the Nik 14 f2.8, the Nik 17-35 f2.8, and the sig 12-24 all full frame...I think the Nik 14-24 is sexy but If I were to consider buying one now, I would instead buy the new Samyang 14 f2.8 and save at least a $1000 USD. also, I refuse to buy any Nik lens that does not have an aperature ring ( like G lenses). Ever wonder why Ziess glass is still all manual and with aperature rings???..... By the way the Sig 12-24 that I bought second hand several years ago, is amazing sharp!...I got lucky!

I think Nikon shot themselves in the foot when they removed the aperature ring on many of their new Lenses! Now they are in the same boat as Canon.....Not to mention the higher cost and incompatability problems when cross mounting on different bodies like I do...( I often mount Nikon glass on a Canon 5D and soon to my Olympus M4/3 rds system)...Not to mention all my film cameras...Try cross mounting a G lens sometime!

Cheers
www.snakephoto.blogspot.com