10 Days in Japan, A Lost in Translation

Mintze

Apr 26, 2007
Hi all, I have spent 10 days in Japan, namely Hiroshima, Miyajima, Osaka, Nara and Kyoto for the last holiday. A memorable trip for me as this is the first trip as a father (with my 1 year old daughter, this is how I looks like when I'm carrying her in a baby carrier: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153090248963790&l=4b38d3c3e4 ). As i have a baby carrier in front of me, travel with DSLR with its heavy lenses will be very inconvenient, leave alone lens changing. Therefore, mirror-less camera with minimum lens changing is the way to go. Having said that, I got to leave the DSLR that I'm so familiar with at home and travel with the mirror-less cameras instead. As the title suggested, the trip is good but most of the Japanese don't speak English, google translator is my best bet during trip, despite it always conveyed the messages in a very funny way. This is my first photo thread in Clubsnap, I would be most appreciated if you don't mind to left a word or two for me. ;)

The Ever Happening Dotonbori at Dusk.
Taken with EM5 Mark II
E6201030.jpg

Ninenzaka in Kyoto is always packed with visitors from all over the world in daytime, but once the sun goes down, it return to how it suppose to looks like originally.
Taken with X-E2
DSCF1284_1.jpg

The moon and the Uemeda Sky Building. As I do not have tripod with me during that time, luckily the low-light performance of X-E2 has exceed my expectation.
Taken with X-E2
DSCF1055_1.jpg

It is June, the maple leaves should be gone by then. Fortunately, they are still blooming in some areas, Nara is one of the area.
Taken with A6000
DSC01876_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing the beautiful travel photo with us.

Thanks for the photos!

Since you mentioned of the inconvienence to change lens, does your setup consist of 3 bodies and 3 lens? Then just fixed a lens to each body and use them like a compact camera?

Thank you silverpine and mythmaker!

Thanks for the photos! Since you mentioned of the inconvienence to change lens, does your setup consist of 3 bodies and 3 lens? Then just fixed a lens to each body and use them like a compact camera?

Spot on, and three more lenses in the bag: a fisheye, a normal range fast prime and another fast prime with longer reach for low-light.

Kennin-Ji, The Oldest Temple In Kyoto
Taken with EM5 Mark II

E6241483.jpg

Tokyo and Kyoto are The Only Two Places With Gazetted Geisha District. Geisha is not commonly seen in the street as they only stay in the Okiya (Geisha House) when they don't have appointment. The only time that can catch them on the street is when they on their way to an appointment or when they going back to Okiya.
I was lucky to see this two geisha on the street, walking back to their Okiya and I got the camera with the right lens in my hand!!

Taken with EM5 Mark II

E6241488.jpg

I saw this elderly couple when I walking up to the famous Kiyomizu-Dera Temple. At first, he reached his pocket for the camera and taken a few photos of the street. Then, he passed the camera to his life partner after that and she do the same thing as he did.
The part makes me went emotional is both of them can barely stand but they still travel together, take photos together and enjoy the journey together. This is life partner.

Taken with EM5 Mark II

E6221146.jpg

Reactions: Nikonzen
Wow lovely colors and very good compositions considering you are carrying Yr daughter. The description of the elderly couple you took is especially poignant. Do share more: )

Thank you silverpine and mythmaker!

Spot on, and three more lenses in the bag: a fisheye, a normal range fast prime and another fast prime with longer reach for low-light.

3 bodies! and 6 lenses? got photo of your bag and how u pack?

Wow lovely colors and very good compositions considering you are carrying Yr daughter. The description of the elderly couple you took is especially poignant. Do share more: )

Thank you for the encouragement~!

3 bodies! and 6 lenses? got photo of your bag and how u pack?

IMG_6907.jpg

There you go!

I use my casual backpack instead of camera bag. A large National Geography camera insert was used to housed the extra lenses, the accessories pouch and a body, another camera insert in smaller size was placed at the upper part of the bag for 2 more bodies. Beside that, I have brought a clamp which I got from Photosphere with me all the time for time-lapse,group photo, long exposure and such. In additional, an extra camera pouch was in the bag too just in case I want to use it under unforeseen circumstances.

Reactions: eleveninth

The Fushimi-Inari-Shrine is every inch the same as my imagination!
Taken with X-E2

DSCF1203.jpg

So is the bamboo grove in Arashiyama
Taken with EM5 Mark II

E6241325.jpg

Arashiyama is another area where maple leaves are still blooming despite it is already early summer
Taken with X-E2

DSCF1301.jpg

Purification before entering a Shrine
Taken with X-E2

DSCF0926.jpg

Rainy day slows down the journey, but it also gives a unique view to the spot
Taken with EM5 Mark II

E6180137.jpg

Thank you for the encouragement~!

IMG_6907.jpg

There you go!

I use my casual backpack instead of camera bag. A large National Geography camera insert was used to housed the extra lenses, the accessories pouch and a body, another camera insert in smaller size was placed at the upper part of the bag for 2 more bodies. Beside that, I have brought a clamp which I got from Photosphere with me all the time for time-lapse,group photo, long exposure and such. In additional, an extra camera pouch was in the bag too just in case I want to use it under unforeseen circumstances.

awesome. and very nice series.

curious to know how's your thought process with using 3 cams and extra 3 lenses.

woah bro. 3 cam systems, that's quite a juggle with a young one! OT a bit, the A6000 was the one I sold u last year? I like the handheld shot with XE2, Uemeda Sky building. Keep posting:)

woah bro. 3 cam systems, that's quite a juggle with a young one! OT a bit, the A6000 was the one I sold u last year? I like the handheld shot with XE2, Uemeda Sky building. Keep posting:)

lol i have trouble with 2 cams already.

lol i have trouble with 2 cams already.

Me too :) This thread does remind me of me years back when my son was of same age. One backpack for kids stuff with side sling bag for camera stuff. Hard to even have a tripod.

awesome. and very nice series.

curious to know how's your thought process with using 3 cams and extra 3 lenses.

I guess it is my personal habit, I'm quite used to shoot with 2 different cameras, one mounted with wide-angle and another mounted with telephoto lens. The middle range will be covered by walking.

For this trip, I foresee that my mobility will be restricted, therefore another camera with midrange zoom lens was introduced to ensure I won't miss anything while taking care of the young one, ideally. Somehow I faced some hands eyes coordination issues at the beginning, for example, I want to get Sony but I got Fuji or I got Olympus but I remember the control layout of Sony and press the wrong button. Even-thought the problem slowly faded after a few days but it still "potong steam" =P

Thanks bro! Yup, that's the one. I love the clamp man! It tucked into every corners like a Ninja!

The handrail at the river bank:
Dotonbori.jpg

The glass table at the Uemeda Sky Building:
DSCF0997.jpg

I can almost imagine how this street looks like when it was younger.
Taken with X-E2

DSCF1280.jpg

There are a lot of deer in NARA, a lot of them! The local believe that deer is sacred, they just let them grow.
Taken with EM5 Mark II

E6211069.jpg

A salmon seller at morning market. The best part is you can pick the salmon by yourself, cut it by yourself and eat them on the spot.
Taken with X-E2

DSCF1405.jpg

Examination is a big thing in Japan, naturally , there are temples specifically to pray for better result.
Taken with X-E2

DSCF1416.jpg

Beautiful photos! It's still quite a lot of gear traveling with a child. I went to shoot with a X10 mainly. Have the X100 sitting in the cabinet. Feeling sorry haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waiting for more!

really love how the photos turned out! are you travelling alone with your daughter?
looking forward for more photos

Beautiful photos! It's still quite a lot of gear traveling with a child. I went to shoot with a X10 mainly. Have the X100 sitting in the cabinet. Feeling sorry haha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Keefe~!

waiting for more!

Thanks man~! I will try to speed up the post-process ;)

really love how the photos turned out! are you travelling alone with your daughter?
looking forward for more photos

Thanks for the kind words! I went there with my wife and parents-in-law. My wife take care of the parents-in-law and I take care of the baby, we get the job done together =P

Thanks for the sharing. Can share the itinerary of the 10-day sojourn, including transportation means?