Zoom in or crop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
I have a Nikon D90 with 18-105mm lens.

I'm standing at a certain location (eg Marina Barrage) and i'm taking a distant pic of say, The Singapore Flyer...
If my desired image only occupies 1/4 of your display at 18mm, do I zoom in so the image occupies 100% of your display? Or do I leave it at 1/4 then crop on the PC/Cam?

Im just wondering if the quality is affected from lens zoom :think:

Anson

Jul 31, 2006
ansonchew.com
www.ansonchew.com

I'm standing at a certain location (eg Marina Barrage) and i'm taking a distant pic of say, The Singapore Flyer...
If my desired image only occupies 1/4 of your display at 18mm, do I zoom in so the image occupies 100% of your display? Or do I leave it at 1/4 then crop on the PC/Cam?

I think it would be easily to comment if we could see the photo.. :)

V

vince123123

Generally, zooming in gives you better quality. But it also depends on what is your output requirement. If you are only going to use 1/4 of the frame anyway, then you can do away with zooming in. Zooming in on your 18-105 results in a lower f stop and thus you need mroe light.

Another side effect is perspective. 18mm gives a different perspective from 105mm. Hence, the answer may not always be that simple.

navlem

Sep 16, 2007
If you zoom you are keeping the megapixels, when you crop you are essentially cutting out all the rest of the megapixels except for those pixels for the cropped part.

Correct me if im wrong.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
Zoom... if the perspective is what you desire.

ahbian

May 23, 2006
In order of preference, if you need to fill up a frame

1) walk closer loh
2) zoom
3) crop

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
Different focal length has different effect on perspective. It not only affects the main object but also how the background and surrounding looks in relation to the main object.

TroyP

Dec 23, 2008
If you zoom you are keeping the megapixels, when you crop you are essentially cutting out all the rest of the megapixels except for those pixels for the cropped part.

Correct me if im wrong.
That makes sense to me in theory, but I'm not sure if its true in the camera world LOL.

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
That makes sense to me in theory, but I'm not sure if its true in the camera world LOL.
If your worry is regarding IQ, we are not talking about digital zoom unlike that of point and shoot. Zooming from 18mm to 105mm is optical zoom.

Simply by just talking about image quality and resolution, a shot well taken at 105mm will be much better than cropping out that tiny bit of an 18mm and blow up to proportional size.
Ryan

An drew

May 27, 2005
Generally optical zoom will be better than digital zoom or crop.

Atarandas

Aug 19, 2008
Correct me if I am wrong . I thought simply changing focal lengths when zooming but remaining on a same spot doesnt change the persepctive ?

So technically if u stand at a spot at marina barrage and shoot with a 18-200mm at 120mm , versus u stand at same spot and shot at 24mm, the perspective of ur picture will be the same , just that the space between objects in the 24mm would sppear smaller and you can pick up more details. :think:

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
Correct me if I am wrong . I thought simply changing focal lengths when zooming but remaining on a same spot doesnt change the persepctive ?

So technically if u stand at a spot at marina barrage and shoot with a 18-200mm at 120mm , versus u stand at same spot and shot at 24mm, the perspective of ur picture will be the same , just that the space between objects in the 24mm would sppear smaller and you can pick up more details. :think:
Nope. At shorter focal lengths, you see more in the frame, and perspective is exaggerated. This means that closer elements in the frame appear much larger than objects further away in the frame.

With long focal lengths, you usually see less in the frame, and perspective is more compressed. This means to say that items of similar size but different distance do not vary that much in relative size on the final image.

Dec 31, 2004
Yishun

just that the space between objects in the 24mm would sppear smaller
is this not a change in perspective? generally a telephoto lens 'compresses' the background ...

Anson

Jul 31, 2006
ansonchew.com
www.ansonchew.com

You may get barrel & pincushion distortion in different focal length...

Atarandas

Aug 19, 2008
Hmm because I thought the smaller spaces is purely magnification. U use a zoom , its gets magnified. The perspective remains the same untill we shift our positions. Maybe its how we define perspective heh

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008

zoom is easier then crop most of the time unless your megapixel count is very high for the print size you need.

chestertim

Feb 15, 2007
Hong Kong
www.pbase.com
Digital zoom is effectively cropping and resizing in-camera in one step. If you are so far away from your subject that you need to do this then don't bother; go and find a worthwhile composition within range. Digital zoom is snake oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.