zhiffyphotography: Emily

ermm wat i find weird is one hand sticking to the wall (obviously for balance purpose :sweatsm:) then the other hand sticking out in quite an awkward position.

shes giving me a look like "quick take that shot before i falls" :sweat:

...awkward position yet the model managed to maintain her facial expression. i think it's gd effort in trying to break the ordinary

...awkward position yet the model managed to maintain her facial expression. i think it's gd effort in trying to break the ordinary

she had to :bsmilie: cos its her job.

break out of ordinary is something but if the pose doesn't means anything then i see no point just for the sake of breaking out of ordinary.

i believe that giving her something to hold on to or whichever and doing another pose will be better. Or maybe let her hold some flowers on her dangling hands?

so what does this photo tells u? is she trying to rock like a rock star or forming a s letter shape (but the dangling hands doesn't looks so)?

But one thing for sure... her dangling hands reminds me of the hands of a monkey in this photo (no offense) dangling since she had quite long hands.

And something about this photo, one look can see that the model is a very tall and leggy gal. So somehow this pose is not very suitable for her cos you will see her hands and legs is like dangling all over the photo (if u go by rule of third)... Maybe a model of a shorter height or petite size will in this pose will looks better and not as awkward.

Last edited:
24049_347128718456_665328456_3816291_8067472_n.jpg

Photographer: me
Model: Emily
MUA: Angel

theres alot of room for improvement,but i like the different approach.

hey... your replys very funneh.. lol
the first picture not bad. I prefer the first picture.
Haha funny meh?
I think so too leh! Hahahah.
Don't know why most of the people here don't like it. ):

hmm i like the pose actually
something different and not the usual u see in here as well.
Thank you for sharing :)
Great pic overall
Thanks thanks! :D

ermm wat i find weird is one hand sticking to the wall (obviously for balance purpose :sweatsm:) then the other hand sticking out in quite an awkward position.

shes giving me a look like "quick take that shot before i falls" :sweat:
well it's a matter of taste when it comes to whether one likes the posing or not yeah? :)

composition and pose kinda weird yah...:)
thanks for letting me know

R u the one who doing the directing?
yupyup :)

The model is not at ease.
okay, thanks

haha yeah i think so too :p hahaha!

she had to :bsmilie: cos its her job.

break out of ordinary is something but if the pose doesn't means anything then i see no point just for the sake of breaking out of ordinary.

i believe that giving her something to hold on to or whichever and doing another pose will be better. Or maybe let her hold some flowers on her dangling hands?

so what does this photo tells u? is she trying to rock like a rock star or forming a s letter shape (but the dangling hands doesn't looks so)?

But one thing for sure... her dangling hands reminds me of the hands of a monkey in this photo (no offense) dangling since she had quite long hands.

And something about this photo, one look can see that the model is a very tall and leggy gal. So somehow this pose is not very suitable for her cos you will see her hands and legs is like dangling all over the photo (if u go by rule of third)... Maybe a model of a shorter height or petite size will in this pose will looks better and not as awkward.

How does holding a flower let the picture tell you anything either? Haha.
Most poses in fashion are awkward and don't actually mean anything..
I geddit, you don't like the picture, it's okay.
Thanks for your opinion!

Thanks for your opinion!

cos if shes holding a flower (even just one stalk) on her left hand that is dangling, at least the feel of the pose will be better and wun make her look so awkward. Just try picture it? With and Without flowers? :)

Thanks for your opinion!

http://theperfectpose.com/HowToPose/formal-poses/fashion/

that's like saying all you need to do is tell the model to pose nonstop and then snap something awkward.

well yeah, fashion model poses may seem awkward but it should give an effect to the picture.. so there is somehow always a reason for the pose or direction...

i thought this set really paled a lot in comparison to your studio set, and the colour filter doesn't really do anything for me... the shadow is interesting though.. maybe you could try upping the contrast for more effect.

well it's just my opinion :)

http://theperfectpose.com/HowToPose/formal-poses/fashion/

that's like saying all you need to do is tell the model to pose nonstop and then snap something awkward.

Oh okay fine, you're right.
Damn.
Hahaha.

well yeah, fashion model poses may seem awkward but it should give an effect to the picture.. so there is somehow always a reason for the pose or direction...

i thought this set really paled a lot in comparison to your studio set, and the colour filter doesn't really do anything for me... the shadow is interesting though.. maybe you could try upping the contrast for more effect.

well it's just my opinion :)

Thanks for your opinion. I do agree though actually, I find it much harder to control things out of a studio. But that again, it's only my second outdoor shoot, so I won't kill myself over it. Hahah.
I'll get better though, you'll see ;)

Hey zhi the photo look fine, honestly. Don't let the rest bring you down like that. Only that if it's the ego you're trying to placate, don't bother doing it here since the herd mentality prevails i.e. If my brudda don't like this photo, we'll all gang up to say it's not nice too. Keep shooting to please yourself and not to draw derisive comments. Good luck.

Hey zhi the photo look fine, honestly. Don't let the rest bring you down like that. Only that if it's the ego you're trying to placate, don't bother doing it here since the herd mentality prevails i.e. If my brudda don't like this photo, we'll all gang up to say it's not nice too. Keep shooting to please yourself and not to draw derisive comments. Good luck.

umm i don't think anyone is trying to bring her down or ganging up on her... they're just stating their opinions, and no one is telling her that she's a horrible photographer. everyone is always learning and improving, even the best photographers in the world. :)

also got a lot of people here, got the mentality, if i like this photo, they will be my brudda/sista/potential love interest.

good luck!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

p.s. roughly half the comments are bad, half the comments are good. so it means there's two herds. to stay out of the herd you have to say that the photo is sometimes good, sometimes bad, then you will be unique and not be part of any brudda group.

Last edited:
also got a lot of people here, got the mentality, if i like this photo, they will be my brudda/sista/potential love interest.

good luck!:bsmilie::bsmilie:

p.s. roughly half the comments are bad, half the comments are good. so it means there's two herds. to stay out of the herd you have to say that the photo is sometimes good, sometimes bad, then you will be unique and not be part of any brudda group.

now where are the old fellas when u need them:bsmilie::bsmilie:

Agreed with most, wierd pose by a unnatural looking model :)

Actually I quite like the lighting in #1.. :)

Zhiffy,

Really like this shot. The pose is a "moment" pose, not easily replicable. The shadow is unusual and adds to the off-balance feel of the shot.

Personally I would PP down the "edgy" route, adjusting colours and lighting ratios in post to go moodier.

The reason it does not shine (even though the shot is technically good) as a fashion shot is actually because the clothes say "casual" whilst the pose screams "I'm different". Hence why , having set up and caught this moment, I would PP it towards "edgy".

I visualise it this way: If that was Kate Moss topless in CK jeans and barefoot, in black & white, the exact pose (and shot) would be a winner outright. Thus indicating that the technicals are good to great but the context and element reinforcement could have been better synchronised.

Keep up the good work:)
My humble 2 cents.

Squall

Thanks! Haha I actually post up mostly to see if my taste is the same as the majority of people. And if it is... sun bian ego boost lor, hahaha. :bsmilie:
Thanks though, it's good knowing all the different views on it. At least not everybody hates it :sweatsm:

umm i don't think anyone is trying to bring her down or ganging up on her... they're just stating their opinions, and no one is telling her that she's a horrible photographer. everyone is always learning and improving, even the best photographers in the world. :)
Improving! Woo! :)

good luck!

ookie. at least half like la huh, not like all don't like it. hurhur.

now where are the old fellas when u need them
ah?

Agreed with most, wierd pose by a unnatural looking model :)
Oh wells, darn, okay.
Thanks!

Actually I quite like the lighting in #1.. :)
Thanks!
Uh, me too. heh.

Zhiffy,

Really like this shot. The pose is a "moment" pose, not easily replicable. The shadow is unusual and adds to the off-balance feel of the shot.

Personally I would PP down the "edgy" route, adjusting colours and lighting ratios in post to go moodier.

The reason it does not shine (even though the shot is technically good) as a fashion shot is actually because the clothes say "casual" whilst the pose screams "I'm different". Hence why , having set up and caught this moment, I would PP it towards "edgy".

I visualise it this way: If that was Kate Moss topless in CK jeans and barefoot, in black & white, the exact pose (and shot) would be a winner outright. Thus indicating that the technicals are good to great but the context and element reinforcement could have been better synchronised.

Keep up the good work:)
My humble 2 cents.

Squall

Thanks for this. :)
I never thought about it that way, cool! At least I'm well, uh, somewhere near having a great picture. And thats a good thing~ :)