Your DVD brand of choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, there are occasionally MOs for TY discs on HWZ, I just got a rim of Sony Accucore 8x +Rs from there. :)

Just curious, are there still any Mitsuis lying around?

Adam Goi said:
Yah lor ... the newer ones are made in Taiwan ... no more TYs ... :cry:
The newer "Taiwanese" Fujifilm DVD disks are made by Prodisk using Fuji's own dye. I have tested a few of them (both +/- disks). Not bad... very low error. Comparable to TYs in term of quality.

Larry said:
what the heck is Taiyo Yuden... someone educate me can...?
Taiyo Yuden (TY) is a contract manufacturer of very high quality optical disks. In the past, some of the brand names made by TY were Sony, Mitsui, Yamaha, Pioneer, Fujifilm and Toshiba (available in Japanese market only). Their older black-surfaced Mitsui CD-R disks are considered by many as one of the most archival CD-R disk ever made. I still have about 200 pieces of it.

IMHO, TY made some of the most reliable optical disks. I have no, if not, very few problems with them (mainly my writer's fault). When coupled with a good writer, they give very low error.

Even my usually very picky Sony DVD player has no problem reading TY disks. Try MMC (Memorex, Verbatim, TDK), MCC (Mitsubishi, Imation), Ritek (too many to name) or Ricoh disks, my player will just spit them out.

Now that u mentioned it... the DVD writer does make a big difference too...not all laser burn-beams are made the same :)

I remember Plextor being a highly regarded burner for CDRs, not sure it's capabilities for DVD writing though...

My personal experience with the same media, but different burners, turned out quite drastic differences. My old Sony CD-writer had written 1000-odd CDRs with no coasters. When it finally broke down, the Benq one i got gave me 3 coasters in the first 10 CDRs i burnt. After i returned it for servicing, the new ones seems quite stable, but it emits a very discomforting sound when burning...

feryl said:
...the DVD writer does make a big difference too...
Yes... I concur with your statement. Benq seems to be leading the way in DVD writer now because of its low price and high performance. If you want quality, NEC makes very good writers. All the latest Sony writers are made by Lite-On JVC.

Currently, I am using Pioneer A10 and A09. Both very good writers also.

I see here that some bros have DVDs that deterioriated after burning? Is that possible????? My CDR lasted for 7 years without any issues. Are DVDs lousier than CDRs? It does not make sense if something you burn in DVD is not going to last. DVD are used for archival purpose.

I just cant believe DVD can deterioriate after some time by itself. I would expect it to last for years. Otherwise who wants to use DVDs?

hifisiao said:
I see here that some bros have DVDs that deterioriated after burning? Is that possible?????
Yes, this is possible. The dye on DVD+/-R is thinner than those used on CD-R. A tighter tolerance is, therefore, required to manufacture DVDs. You can buy "el-cheapo" CD-Rs and live with it, but you cannot buy cheap DVDs and expect it to last. So far, only a few manufacturers tested are said to last more than 5 years. TY is one of them.

The worst case scenerio was when I bought A-Mark (Ritek) DVD-R from Sim Lim Square. It lasted only two weeks. Burn and read on the same writer and on the same day, but cannot read 2 weeks later. I returned the whole box and got Verbatim instead.

I guess DVD+R is more suitable for computer applications. Read from somewhere that DVD+R standard is designed for computer data, whereas DVD-R is meant for Videos, althou most readers/writers nowadays is compatible with both.

And, personally I would choose DVD+R simply because it is faster ( Most DVD+R is 8× speed, whereas DVD-R is 4× Speed)

And DVD+RW is 4× whereas DVD-RW is only 2×. And they cost about the same.

So, that could be an indication that DVD+R is indeed designed for computers/Data purposes.

Regards

destiny_star said:
Sorry if this sounds abit OT, but juz wondering which DVD type is more suitable for backing up data and photos?

DVD+R or DVD-R?? thanx.

Limsgp said:
I guess DVD+R is more suitable for computer applications. Read from somewhere that DVD+R standard is designed for computer data, whereas DVD-R is meant for Videos, althou most readers/writers nowadays is compatible with both.

And, personally I would choose DVD+R simply because it is faster ( Most DVD+R is 8× speed, whereas DVD-R is 4× Speed)

So, that could be an indication that DVD+R is indeed designed for computers/Data purposes.

Regards

Thanx alot for the clarification.. :)

Limsgp said:
that time I bought DVD-RW 4x is the same price as DVD+RW 4x

Wow...now that i know i'm not the only one having the same error problem...hai ! what am i suppose to do with the stack of DVD-R ???

I use DVD+R for all my video applications, and I have absolutely no problems at all. Except if I buy poor quality disks, my Sony DVD player will just spit them out. DVD+R disk is readable with my Pioneer and Panasonic players too.

one can use book type management to modify say a DVD+R 's booktype to DVDROM. The advantage of this is to maximise compatibility.

for eg. my ibook can only support DVDROM and DVD-R, but I can pop in my burned DVD+R media as I have my book type management program (QSuite for BenQ writers) modify DVD+R booktypes to DVDROM.

such a method might also work to ensure compatibility with home DVD players though i never tested it out.

so far i already had Kodak Gold CDRs giving me read errors (bad batch? poor writing technique? poor storage?), so for me at least no media is truly safe. would still need to check on the media from time to time.

Well, its not just being able to burn w/o errors etc
Using Benq writer and Verbatim DVD-R, I had archive my photos on several disks... can read no problems etc... One year later, all of them is unreadable!!

Bottomline, whichever DVDs u using, check them every year :)

Taiyo Yuden. However getting extinct in SLS. Guess have to turn to mass orders in HWZ or vrzone for supplies.

Larry, you can check out Chamoxa at SLS/Funan, they do carry Mitz DVDs.

As for my DVD-Rs, normally used to burn unimportant stuff for others or those use once throw away kind.

Bottomline, use CDRs instead!!!

nuts said:
Well, its not just being able to burn w/o errors etc
Using Benq writer and Verbatim DVD-R, I had archive my photos on several disks... can read no problems etc... One year later, all of them is unreadable!!

Bottomline, whichever DVDs u using, check them every year :)

Status
Not open for further replies.