You guys all into Digital SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm.... It depends actually.

Primarily still shoot digital cos of convienience. But den if no choice den use film :)

hmmmm I started from comsumer, going into DSLR now, but concurrently playing film as well, trying to psychoing my colleague to give me his 20 years old olympus OM-40 hehe :D

I shoot both. Digital for fun. But when really serious then I shoot slides.

have never had a film slr but have a good film compact (Yashica T5*). found myself using it lesser and lesser though and using more of my digicams (slr and compact).

hmmm.. i am still using my F90x and my dad's Fm2... lol... i used them when i am doing my school's assignments.. and thats when i get free films to shoot... hahahhh... free flow sommore... hahahahah... :bsmilie:

imagine... 400 rolls of Kodak and Fuji films stored in a fridge... hahaha.. waiting for me to waste them all ... hahaha :bigeyes:

so Flim is still maybe my secondary line of defence... Digital is Primary.. so when i am testing out a new setting... i will shoot in digital... and when i am rather confident of that particular setting.. i will shoot flim all the way...

Digital is mostly i shoot is for sports and some normal shoots... when it comes to serious Photojournalism and BW shoots. its always flim flim and more flims... slides la.. in the case.. hahaha... :bsmilie:

I think we can poll in different categories:
1. I got money, like digital, but technology not meeting my spec.
2. I like digital, technology meet my spec, but cant afford the price.
3. I dont like digital at all, 100% film user.
4. I use both digital and film together.
5. I dont know about camera.

sriram said:
I still shoot on a film SLR. No digital. DSLR's are too d*mn expensive for what they deliver, for my needs.

Well, I was shooting Film for about 6 mths...do some calculation, I spend an average of about $200~$220 per month on Film, Developing and so on.

So based on my expenses, i decided to get my 20D. I am paying by instalment of 12 mths...that is about $240 per month. so i think it is well worth it. I get instance results and about to shoot as many as I like.

My 2 Cents. :think:

I started off as a Pentax film SLR user 10 years back, have keen interests in photography. but don't know how. Last time, no help, no source, no money. Develop film to photos seems expensive to me :p ($15 bucks for 36 exp), and only use cam as general use, friends outing, family outing.

Until 4 years back, this trusty cam failed to work. Since then, got my first Canon Ixus 330 :D Until early this year, the Ixus330 can't deliver the job what I want to shoot on my newborn baby indoor (nature lighting condition at home). Then move on to G5, and now I'm crazy with my 300D. No regret, learning and taking some good photos from 50mm f/1.8. But my bank account depleted like dry pond :cry:

However, I finally pick up my interest which lost 10 years back. ;)
And thanks to CS here :thumbsup:

For me...other than the brush I had with my dad's Nikomat nearly 20 years ago... I've not touch film camera at all...

Now, the thought of having to buy film, load, shoot, rewind, develop then get to see the end results seem just too weird to me...

hehehe, guess I'm just part of the 'instant generation'...

No offense to anyone okay?

I use films, films, and only films.

And only black & white films.

PandaOng said:
Well, I was shooting Film for about 6 mths...do some calculation, I spend an average of about $200~$220 per month on Film, Developing and so on.

So based on my expenses, i decided to get my 20D. I am paying by instalment of 12 mths...that is about $240 per month. so i think it is well worth it. I get instance results and about to shoot as many as I like.

My 2 Cents. :think:

wow thats quite a lot to spend a month on film + processing.. Did you shoot a roll or 2 a day on average?

student said:
I use films, films, and only films.

And only black & white films.

i guess i'm being drawn into the grey... 28% grey... :sweat:

getting more and more hooked to black and whites.. but haven't had a chance to develop my own photos yet... :(

so far can use only the bw400cn...

Stoned said:
wow thats quite a lot to spend a month on film + processing.. Did you shoot a roll or 2 a day on average?

I shoot an average 3 rolls per weekend.
that is about:

3 x film = ~ $8
Develop x 3 = ~$45
total for 1 week = ~$53

$53 x 4 weeks in a mth = ~$212

And bear in mind...that is only 3 rolls per weekend!!! :think:
That is only about 3 x 36 = 108 exposure!!

With my 1G CF card now, I can shoot as much as i want!! Got no heart pain when i hit the motordrive!! Agree?? chap chap chap :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PandaOng said:
Have you done your calculation yet? :think:
yes. that's the main reason why I go for digital :D :D
saved up the running cost... but now spend more time on post processing the RAW, (if in flim, just throw everything to the LAB). :think:

makan007 said:
I'm still using film SLR. :embrass: What's the percentage of ppl using digital SLR in here?

For me I have gone 100% digit for the past 5 years. Started with the first Sony Digital P&S "floppy disc" camera which was my first venture into digital. By the time I "graduated" to the Sony S70 3 megapixels camera, I have decided to go digital all the way and thus sold off all my film based gear like my F5, F4..etc and all my older AI & AF lens. I have spent 20 yrs shooting film & slides and I felt it was time to jump onto the new wave that is coming in. Even by today's standard digital quality might not be good enough to hold up against the purist's idea and proven quality of slides but it comes close enough. I use digital for all my design work too and it is good enough for most use. The initial cost of investing might be abit higher then film base equipment but on the long run the savings is alot. During my peak years of indulging in film based photography as a serious hobbist, I was spending anything from $300 to 500 on buying slides,films and processing on a monthly basis. Though I don't change gear like a techno weenie whenever new camera gears comes out, the expenditure on buying and developing material can be a real killer especially if you have family members and friends that ask for free pictures and large posters enlargement and sometime you do get so carried away you start giving them away for free too. And before you know it..you are on a water diet for a month!

With digital, there are advantages in that I get to shoot without a care in the world. That does not mean I can start to get sloppy and not thinking about every shot I take. In fact, the reverse is true. Now without worrying about cost, I shoot and experiment in more detail and I take more shots so that I know at least one will be perfect and not need me to do much post production if I felt too lazy to do so. Also at times certain interesting photo-opportunity might never come back again, when shooting with film, you tend to limit how much time and film you spend on it due to your budget as a hobbists. (unless you have deep pockets) With digital, I can fire off alot more and also spend more time "bracketing" my shots or choose to shoot from more angles, focal length or exposure etc. With films or slides sometime looking at what you have shot after developing them, there are times you regreted not having done it this way or that way but unfortunately you can't go back in time to that rare moment to reshoot it. Nowadays, I rarely regret it heheheh.....that is a big plus for me.

I still am betting on digital and though I do have a purist streak in me, I still have to be practical with my hobbies and I do have too many hobbies too..if I try to be a purist at everyone of them...I would have to find another 2 more jobs to support all of them heheh. Digital allows me to carry on with my love for photography at a more economical level. That would mean I dont have to give it up due to cost. That to me is a good thing. In any case I have already gotten over the buy-the-latest-and-best-equipment-itchy-bug-syndrome. Upgrading is important to some extend but I should be upgrading as a hobbist and not a professional simply because I am not working as one. heheh So that is even more saving for me. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

PandaOng said:
that is about:

3 x film = ~ $8
Develop x 3 = ~$45
total for 1 week = ~$53

With my 1G CF card now, I can shoot as much as i want!! Got no heart pain when i hit the motordrive!! Agree?? chap chap chap :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Not really le! It depends lo....digital camera's life is not as long as a fully mechnical camera...
It is unfair to do the calculation that shooting with a CF card means 'no need money!'.

XXX Boy said:
Not really le! It depends lo....digital camera's life is not as long as a fully mechnical camera...
It is unfair to do the calculation that shooting with a CF card means 'no need money!'.

Yup, agreed on Digital lifespan is not as long as a analog camera. But my rate of shooting, I am actually spending well over $2000 plus in a year (Just for film and developing).

And the life of a Digital Camera is about 1.5 - 2 years. If by film, I could have got a 20D (Or so...).

Imagine the benefit, instance result, ISO setting, no more 36exp limitation.

but on the negative side, tends to be trigger-happy(something to be really beware of), Post-process (tedious but rewarding).

Just my 2 cents. :think:

PandaOng said:
that is about:

3 x film = ~ $8
Develop x 3 = ~$45
total for 1 week = ~$53

Your calcualtion not accurate. For film, you "print" them but for digital you dun.

Developing alone is only $3.

3 x film = ~ $8
Develop x 3 = $9
total for 1 week = $17

$17 x 4 weeks in a mth = ~$68

Am I missing something here?

Status
Not open for further replies.