Yosemite national park

foofoo

Aug 20, 2009
singapore; canberra
dear all,

going to CA this nov, as will arrive in nov and keen to visit Yosemite national park, anybody can share their experience from type of travel(e.g. from San Francisco airport or any hotel pick up or car.... etc) ; hotel stay in Yosemite; where is the best place to visit..... etc

plan to stay 1 or 2 night at national park.

many thanks for the sharing/advise...

:):)

Do not make reservations yet. Due to the government shutdown the US is having now with no dates on when it will operates again, most of US national parks are closed. Yosemite included.

Last edited:
keep an update on the yosemite national park website on what is the status of reopening the national park first before making any reservation. if by the time you are in CA, and the national park is open, i would suggest you spend a little more time there. 1 or 2 days is not enough. I've been to rocky mountain national park and plan to go next year.

US Govt is shutdown bro. Yosemite is closed as well.

Best way to travel Yosemite is to drive in. Best place to stay in Yosemite is to book the campsites.

Currently all the national were shutdown but with only a 12 national are temporarily re-opened:

National Park Service

Information above Yosemite National Park <----- Please read all information here in detail (Very Important)

Travel by Car

Yes, you can drive your car into Yosemite Valley! For guest convenience, a free shuttle service has multiple stops throughout Yosemite Valley, as well as transportation between Yosemite Valley and Yosemite's Badger Pass Ski Area in the winter and between Wawona's Pioneer Gift & Grocery and the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias in the warmer months. A free shuttle also serves the Tuolumne Meadows area in the summer. Bring the family, bring your car and once here, let us do the driving so you can spend more time viewing the sights with public transportation!
From San Francisco - Via Highway 120 East

• Take the Oakland-Bay Bridge (Highway 80 East)
  • Take Highway 580 east, following signs for Tracy/Stockton to Highway 205
  • Follow Highway 205 to Highway 120
  • Take Highway 120 into Yosemite National Park
Drive Time: 4 hours.
Services: The only service station between the 120 entrance and Yosemite Valley is the Crane Flat Gas & Convenience Store, located 17 miles outside of Yosemite Valley. There is no gas available in Yosemite Valley.
From San Francisco - Via Highway 140 East

• Take the Oakland-Bay Bridge (Highway 80 East)
  • Take Highway 580 east, following signs for Tracy/Stockton to Highway 205
  • Turn onto Hwy 99 South
  • Take CA 140 East through Mariposa into Yosemite.

By the time you travel on Nov, most of the area will be snowing but the Yosemite Valley will remain open. If you are driving at that time, please check the information carefully:

"Snow & ice can exist on park roads. You are required by federal law to carry tire chains in your vehicle if entering a designated chain control area, even if your vehicle is equipped with snow tires and/or four-wheel-drive. Chains can become mandatory on any park road at anytime."

There is no petrol station in the Yosemite National Park, so before you enter to the Park please have the petrol tank fill up and check if buying and carry the snow tyre chains is required. I assume that you have not experience in installing the tyre chains to the tyre and driving in that condition, please check with the petrol station staff, they should be able to help you.

So, please plan and study all the information carefully before the journey start.

Wish you a happy journey. :)

dear all,

going to CA this nov, as will arrive in nov and keen to visit Yosemite national park, anybody can share their experience from type of travel(e.g. from San Francisco airport or any hotel pick up or car.... etc) ; hotel stay in Yosemite; where is the best place to visit..... etc

plan to stay 1 or 2 night at national park.

many thanks for the sharing/advise...

:):)

I just went there from San Francisco and spent 1 night at the outskirts of Yosemite.

Firstly, Yosemite is huge. You can spend 1 entire week there. After much research and asking around, I planned for a night's stay at Oakhurst (Yosemite Sierra View B&B), the "biggest" settlement outside Yosemite. When you are inside Yosemite, petrol prices shoots up, there is little food around, etc etc.

I drove from San Fran > Monetery (spend one night there), then cross the inland route to Oakhurst. The driving as each part of it took me arnd 2-3 hours so I won't hit nightfall, especially near Yosemite. You won't want to be driving at night within the park itself. At Oakhurst, I started the morning early and drove to Mariposa Grove (largest trees in the world), Tunnel View and Glacier Point, must-sees in Yosemite itself. You can google for those images.

Then from Glacier Point, I drove out quite late in the day to Tulare en route to LA. I would definitely visit Yosemite again and likely spend a week there. Driving within Yosemite itself is easy but you cannot/will not speed coz it's only a 2 lane road and the sides are the cliffs.

Hope this helps.

Btw, I just went in late Sept. Weather was fantastic but the waterfalls have eased off. You should check what attractions are there within Yosemite in Nov. I don't think there are autumn colours coz its evergreen. But I am sure throughout the year, it will still be fantastic.

Yosemite should reopen soon ..