Yongnuo RF605C - how to make it work for Pentax

sbc

Jun 27, 2005
West of Singapore
$RF605c set.jpg

Even though many sites stated that the Yongnuo radio triggers are compatible with Pentax, I had a difficult time looking for reviews on its use specifically with Pentax flashes. So the next best thing is to just buy a pair and try it out.

Before I get to the functions and settings, let's tackle the problem I encountered first. I was very excited when I received the package in the mail. I put batteries in the units, mount the Pentax AF540FGZII on one of them and switch them on. So far so good, until I tried to trigger the flash - nothing! After half an hour of troubleshooting, I discovered that the forward right contact was the culprit.

$RF605c.jpg

The solution is to tape up that contact. According to Nikon hot-shoe pin out that is the SP pin that monitors the Speedlite. (I know this is somewhat confusing as this is a Canon specific unit but I shall clear that up later). The same pin on a Pentax digital flash transmit digital signals. When two incompatible systems meet, the flash gets 'confused' and refuses to fire. Once I am comfortable with the system I may open up the trigger and cut the wire to that offending pin.

I emailed Yongnuo Hong Kong and received a quick reply. Basically they apologized and claimed that they had not tested their devices with Pentax equipment and so cannot guarantee compatibility. :confused:

Now on to the good stuff. The triggers do work for Pentax flash and camera after the modification. There are a couple of things to take note of.
1. Try to purchase the Canon version with C1 cable. C1 cable is the one with 2.5mm stereo jacks on both ends (see the 1st photo). This will work with Pentax DSLRs.
2. The difference between the Canon and Nikon versions is the hot-shoe foot mount pin out. The hot-shot on top of both versions is still Nikon pin out. (Even more :confused:)
3. The RF605 supports both RF602 and RF603 mode, and both will work but the RF603 is smarter and has better compatibility so that is the mode of choice.
4. If you use RF602 mode to trigger both camera shutter and flash, it may at first look like it is working but actually the sync is way off. The flash fires first followed by the shutter.

$RF605c mount.jpg

Without getting verbose, this is how things work.

For use as a shutter trigger, connect one unit to the DSLR with that C1 cable. Both units set to RF603 TRX mode. Half press the remote button to auto focus, fully depress to fire the shutter. If camera is on bulb mode, holding down the button will keep the shutter open. :thumbsup:

For use as a flash trigger, set the one with the flash to RF-603 TRX and set the remote trigger unit to TX. You will notice that you can only trigger a camera or a flash but not both together, since they each needs different mode to operate. I was puzzled and disappointed at first, until I found the correct way of doing things.

To trigger both camera and flash, mount one to the flash, one onto the hot-shoe of the camera AND connect the C1 cable to the camera's remote socket. All three devices, including the remote trigger, have to be set to RF603 TRX mode. The handheld remote will trigger the camera's shutter, the camera hot-shoe will in turn trigger the mounted unit and it being a transceiver, will trigger the remote flash. There! That is how things should work. I have to admit, I do not have a third unit to test this hypothesis. But with the logic from deductive reasoning there is no reason for it not to work. Also if you look at the tiny diagram on page 9 in the manual it does show such a configuration. :angel:

Conclusion? Like most China products, they are cheap, they do work most of the time but are confusing like he**. The user interface and protocol could use some polishing. However in the end, considering the price and built quality, I am one happy camper.

Last edited:
Reactions: pinholecam
Thanks for the write up! :)

Its really nice to see that folks here still put up good info for fellow Pentax users.

:thumbsup: My pleasure! Pentax community is very small and there is a dearth of information on third party accessories for the brand. I do what I can.

so for the RF605C,
- is that PTTL working, or any remote setting control; from the picture, it seems that it has at least group-assignment feature
- the LCD make me think it has more features than the RF603,602 trigger sets.

------------- just sharing my setup,
I use YN560TX (nikno version while actually not matter, which also work on any camera, since it just use the middle pin through camera hotshoe actually )
* to trigger YN560III and YN560IV directly remotely with remote power+zoom+group assignment control while mounting on my Pentax camera, but of course, no PTTL
* and at the same to trigger my old extra RF603 transceiver at remote with any manual control flash on its top ( for RF603, has to be nikon version when been used as trigger on pentax camera, it need to be nikon contact pin to make it into trigger mode; while for the 2nd gen RF603II with manually switch on trigger or receive, the RF603II can trigger remote flashes on any camera hotshoe as like YN560TX)

reference picture:
YN560TX
http://i1.wp.com/www.davidpartingto...nuo-YN560-III-vs-YN560-IV-vs-YN560-TX-txt.jpg
old RF603 nikon version
http://image.dhgate.com/desc_378242925_00.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing on yongnuo remote trigger. So the RF605C is for both nikon and canon usage?

The difference between the Canon and Nikon versions is the hot-shoe foot mount pin out. The hot-shot on top of both versions is still Nikon pin out. (Even more ) - so is there difference in the picture shown?

There is no P-TTL nor remote power setting. However it can control 6 groups and the latest YN660 flash.

The Nikon version is RF605N - both the top hot-shoe and bottom foot mount have Nikon pin-out. In theory you can use either version with both brands but you cannot wake up a sleeping flash if you cross brands. For Pentax that is a moot point because these were never designed for it. I only have the Canon version.

I see, may I conclude

1. RF602, RF603, RF603II: works with any flash, but no power control, no group assignment
2. RF605: works with any flash, but no power control, has group assignment
3. YN560Tx: works with YN560 seris flash only, has power control, has group assignment
4. YN560Tx + RF602,RF603,RF603II receiver: works with any flash, but no power control, no group assignment
5. YN560Tx + RF605: not sure if it will work, never tried or heard

Can't comment on points 1 to 4. But for 5, YN560Tx, RF605 and YN660 are designed to work together properly.

For example, you could have a YN560Tx adjusting the power settings of 6 groups of YN660, and a handheld RF605 to remotely trigger your tripod mounted camera and all the flashes.

Last edited: